Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Billing Boats HMS Renown (50-foot steam pinnace) Options
jase
#1 Posted : 15 July 2013 07:16:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is actually my birthday present for next month but my Wife alowed me to 'check it' to make sure nothing was missing BigGrin The model is her choice as she wanted something a bit less grey on displayHuh

So what is in the box?
The kit is multi media with wood frame hull, decks and cabin and brass and plastic covering the fittings.
there are some rather simple instructions that leave a lot to the imagination and a late set of plans and a 2005 catalogue!

There is quite a bit of plastic all fairly low quality with a lot of sink and distortion some can be made good bout i will have to try and replace the portholes. There is also some vac formed styrene been a long time since i encounterd this stuff but it is good thick sheet so should be ok although the vents may be a bit tricky. The brass is mainly for railings and Flagstaff's. Interestingly the hull is made in two halves then brought together.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
willie
#2 Posted : 15 July 2013 20:10:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

just enquiring dose the instructions tell you to leave a border on the vents etc and rub the border off with sand paper that is placing the vent flat down on a board and rubbing the border off it comes off quite quick and leaves a flat surface for gluing together
jase
#3 Posted : 15 July 2013 21:13:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

willie wrote:
just enquiring dose the instructions tell you to leave a border on the vents etc and rub the border off with sand paper that is placing the vent flat down on a board and rubbing the border off it comes off quite quick and leaves a flat surface for gluing together

Interesting it shows marking it out with pencil then trimming back. would gluing together with a lip and then sanding back work as that was my first thought.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 15 July 2013 22:00:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:
willie wrote:

Interesting it shows marking it out with pencil then trimming back. would gluing together with a lip and then sanding back work as that was my first thought.

Jase

For next month I wish you a very happy birthday.

Not been on the forum as often as I would like due to some very serious illness with my father.
This is a very interesting kit as I did not know that vac formed pieces were part of the build. These have their very own special handling traits - mark around with a pen as you say but I think the process is then to use a sanding board to sand down to the marked line.

Sure your already aware of all of this so just goes to say have a great day and enjoy your build.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
jase
#5 Posted : 15 July 2013 22:29:22

Thanks Tony actually not dealt with vac form since I was a teenager so any tips very welcome indeed. I am also going to have to make holes for the scuttles and a bit concerned about it splitting. fortunately plenty of scrap to practice on.
-Mark Twain
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 15 July 2013 23:38:22

Hi Jase.
Nice looking kit there, I seem to remember that Billing Boats made a trademark out of making the hull in two halves, at least the more 'modern' shaped hulls at least! Blink
It's many years since I built anything in vac form, it was a Sevans Models classic Dalek! A beautiful kit and still in one piece!
I think for drilling out your scuttles the best tool would be those funny shaped wood drilling bits, the ones with a central spike and two raised blades at the outer circumferance. The spike makes them easy to centre and the cutting blades 'scribe' their way down through the plastic with less chance of splitting.
Best of luck with her. Cool

Robin

PS I take it this one didn't take part at Jutland? LOL
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 16 July 2013 19:33:03

BigGrin Hi Jase
I Built the Dragon a few years back and as you say the instructions can be a little vague, I think the two half assembly was Billings way of preventing a banana boat and is quite simple to do once you get your head round it. This kit and the Africa Queen is on my wants list but maybe one day I have also added the link to Billings as they do a PDF download of instructions but not sure if they will be of help and happy birthday for next month

http://www.billingboats.com/

regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .