Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

G'day Options
Tailfirst
#1 Posted : 16 July 2013 08:00:22

Groups: Registered

Hi all - I'm another DeAgostini Zero noob :-)

Tripped over the site yesterday and today organised to buy all 17 issues to date and join the sub for the remainder - woot!!

I thought it was heaven when Tamiya released their awesome 1/32 kits - so when I saw this thing I nearly fainted!!

I'm going to wait until I have the complete kit before even starting construction - so in the meantime I'll look into various possibilities for super detailing.

Has anyone had any leads on whether anyone like Eduard or Aires or CMK might do anything for this machine?

MWG
#2 Posted : 16 July 2013 08:21:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Abig warm welcome to the model space forumBigGrin the content of the model is very comprehensive you will not be dissapointed, I hope you enjoy your build kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#3 Posted : 16 July 2013 09:09:46

Groups:

Welcome to the forum Cool

Bet you can't resist making a start and would be good to see your progress BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 16 July 2013 12:58:41

Groups:

Hi TF and welcome to the forum, glad to see another Zero builder joining the ranks! CoolThumpUp

I don't think the aftermarket companies do anything for this model, or at least I've not come across any, but it should be easy enough to add your own scratch-built detail in this scale?

I too am collecting the Zero by subscription, though I've not made a start yet I will do as soon as I have enough to make it worthwhile. As Tom says, I bet you can't hold back until you have all the parts!! LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin
Tailfirst
#5 Posted : 16 July 2013 13:09:04

Thanks guys - yeah, I'll throw up some progress posts when I get it under way.

My plan is to clad the leading edges, and fuselage from frame aft of the seat forward, as well as the top third from there back to the rear fuse join (might also do underwings out to just past the tanks). Cladding that area will make the detailing in the cockpit and area behind the firewall look all the more impressive - ie. by partially hiding it (wink + smile).

I have some personal ideas about "colouring to scale" - so look forward to hearing what u guys think when u see it.

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 16 July 2013 19:52:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Tailfirst
Welcome to the Zero build and will look forward to your build
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

snapdragon
#7 Posted : 17 July 2013 12:07:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the group.

I am sure that you will love this build as it will give you the opportunity to build something special.

Aftermarket companies tend not to look at these kits as they can't get a complete one all at once to do anything with in reguards extra detailing.

That aside, the parts in this build are so well detailed that you don't need to add any more detailing although you may want to consider the fact that some builders (me included have already altered the kit in reguard to the wing ribs to make it look more authentic. just check out the forum and the builders logs for this.

Pictures of the finished model seem to show control wires and there are lots of wires to be added to the engine, but you may have to consider adding wiring to the cockpit and wings.

There's lots of help here, and if this had been a Luftwaffe subject I could possibly help with original technical manuals and handbooks which would help us even more, but to date I have not found any handbooks for the Zero.

I am contacting Mitsubishi to see if I can get something out of them.

Once again, Welcome and happy building

James
Tailfirst
#8 Posted : 17 July 2013 12:34:27

Bummer about aftermarket stuff - maybe in a few years - can hope - tho that would be for a second build.

The Zero is something I developed a special interest in a few years a go when I picked up the (then) new Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 kit. I can't exactly say why, but closest I guess is that I'm a light aircraft maintenance engineer by trade and the Zero is much closer in design concept / execution and construction to many of the machines I work on than Allied wartime aircraft are. In fact it's kind of strange that the Zero is even a combat machine - in any terms outside the wartime context it's really more of a sports plane than combat machine.

To that end I had tracked down a site that had all sorts of info on the Akutan Zero - including heaps of photos (some in colour!) and technical info.

Larger scales (HUGE scale in this case!!) are tricky because deficiencies in detail and quality of detail can REALLY stand out badly. Nonetheless I'm going to have a go at adding a few enhancements. The sort of stuff i want to do is indeed fit up plumbing and wiring.

Here's the sort of thing - I don't think this is from the Akutan machine (I have a heap of copied stuff from that site but still trying to find the site itself again Blushing )

Tailfirst attached the following image(s):
185502_zero_cockpit_air_and_uplock_release_sm.jpg
SennaMentalMe
#9 Posted : 17 July 2013 13:53:10

Groups:

Hi TF (what is your first name?),

I started a Mitsubishi Zero Reference Library for the members on this forum when the DeAgostini Zero model was first released last year? There is a wealth of info in the library, including some about the Akutan aircraft. The library can be found in post #1 in the link below, or by searching for the topic in the 'General Zero Discussions' sub-forum on this site:

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=3471

Have fun and I hope that helps and feel free to post additional links in the library thread if you have any you wish to share?

Kev BigGrin
Tailfirst
#10 Posted : 17 July 2013 14:25:39

Hi Kev - yep, I'm poking about thru that info section now (popped back here when the email notification came thru) - interesting stuff but pretty much all stuff I've already come across. It's really annoying me that I can't find that indepth analysis report I had found before - it had pages and pages of systems operation descriptives as well as drawings and photos. I'll keep looking and add the link to the Reference Library if i find it.

Thanks,
Conrad :-)
SennaMentalMe
#11 Posted : 17 July 2013 16:17:13

Groups:

Hi Conrad,

The site in the first link below contains a lot of photos and system analysis stuff, including what looks like exactly the same photo as that which you attached in your earlier post, would it be the same site that you are looking for per chance? Both parts #1 and #2 of the guys' systems analysis are located in the 'Aircraft Walkaround Photos & Videos' section of the library. The site in the second link below contains a lot of technical drawings, very useful reference for the model build and which I shall be using on mine!?

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/185520-1.html

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/zeke32.htm

Hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin
Tailfirst
#12 Posted : 17 July 2013 22:29:22

Good grief! - haha - yes, the pelican site is where I snatched the series of photos including the one I posted - and that design analysis is the very one I've been looking for! (headshake). I think I need to take a good few minutes to make sure I have a PROPER look at the info in that reference section - indeed have a good read in general rather than skim Blushing Once again, thank you! BigGrin

Cheers,
Conrad.
SennaMentalMe
#13 Posted : 17 July 2013 23:25:11

Groups:

I thought it was!!! I have looked through that site on several occasions and your photo rang a bell that was familiar to me!! Glad I could help you out Conrad. CoolThumpUp

I think that's what they mean by the old saying "You can't see the wood for the trees"!!

Kev BigGrin

Tailfirst
#14 Posted : 17 July 2013 23:50:30

I'm just tending to get a little ahead of myself I'm afraid (excitement!!). The theory is that I'm to wait until I have the complete kit - ie. February next year? - but as you guys have indicated: we shall see.... Drool
Tailfirst
#15 Posted : 15 August 2013 11:38:56

Ok, the backorder of Issues 1 thru 17 have arrived and there's an email that 18 is on it's way.

I've sent an email to the Aussie distributor asking how to get instructions for the backorder Issues - and in the meantime have audited the parts using Tomick's official build diary as reference. Looks like I'm missing some parts from stage 43 - ie. the aluminium parts are all there but it looks like the baggy with Undercarriage upper leg bits and spring and screws etc. was left out. Have asked the distributor about that as well.

Meantime I've found all sorts of scale goodies on line like miniature springs (for detailing the machine guns and scratchbuilding undercarriage uplock mechanisms), 1/16 spark plugs, various scale hydraulic and electrical fittings, miniature coloured lenses (for the lights on top of the control panel in cockpit) and tiny slot and phillips head screws to replace the cast ones on pretty much all the panels.

Also on the list now is a bloody big articulated magnifying glass - it's a right barstool that when I was young and silly (er) and could easily handle and see 0.7mm screws (0.3mm shank) and things this sort of kit wasn't available - but now I'm an old barstool and have a kit like this my &^%$#* eyes are shot!! Cursing