Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
1/12 Spitfire now arrived! Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 25 July 2013 14:36:52

Groups:

Build a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.V

In the summer of 1940, the Royal Air Force and the German Luftwaffe were engaged in a fierce conflict that would determine the future course of World War II.
High above the White Cliffs of Dover and across the British countryside, a characteristic silhouette began to appear - that of the legendary fighter plane, the Supermarine Spitfire.
The Spitfire was very fast and noted for its great manoeuverability. Equipped with its powerful Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, it also had a much faster climbing speed that its German rivals. The Spitfire's eternal enemy, the Messersschmitt ME109, was forced to bow to the British plane's fire power: two 20mm Hispano cannon and four 0.303 (7.7mm) Browning machine-guns mounted in its wings, it could also carry two 250-lb. bombs or one 500-lb. bomb.

The Spitfire was produced in greater numbers than any other British combat aircraft before or since the War, 20,341 Spitfires were built in 22 different variants (excluding the navalised Seafire), and the aircraft remained in production for 12 years.
Spitfires fought in every operational theatre of WW II and the aircraft remained in RAF front-line service up to 1954.

The Battle of Britain gave birth to the Spitfire legend - a true icon in the history of aviation.

The Mk.V with its Merlin 45 engine was a remarkably succesful variant, especially when one considers that it was initially intended as an interim aircraft. The first Mk.V was produced in 1941, and testing proved it to be very nearly as good as the Mk.III, but without the extra complexity involved in that version. So in March 1941 it was decided to produce the Mk.V instead of the Mk.III. The type had already entered production by this stage, with No 92 Squadron being the first to receive it in February 1941.
So successful was the Mk.V that by December 1941, most of Fighter Command's squadrons were equipped with the type.
The Mk.V became the first variant to be fitted with bomb racks to allow it to also operate as a fighter bomber. It was also the first fighter version of the Spitfire to see operational use overseas, and was supplied to several foreign airforces. More Spitfire Mk V's were built than any other type.

Spitfire AB910 of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, is a Mk.Vb Spitfire which was was donated by Vickers- Armstrong to the BBMF in 1965.

Overview of the Spitfire Mk.V model:

Offically licensed through the RAF.

This exceptional collection offers you the chance to construct a 1:12 scale replica of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb, the most famous fighter of World War II

Model Length 760mm. Wingspan 935mm

125 build Stages/parts sets.

Functioning items: Variable pitch propellor. Operable Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, sliding Canopy and opening pilot access door.

Kit content: Diecast leading egdes, rubber tyres, diecast wheels & undercarriage. Brass instrument panel. Aluminium skin panels. Laser-cut wooden structural parts. Marking masks and a rivet marking tool.

The model is finished with pre-cut aluminum skin panels set upon a wooden airframe. You have the choice to either paint your model in its original wartime camouflage, or leave it in its natural aluminium finish.

Subscribers will also receive a free LED navigation light set, and DeAgostini will also be making available for purchase – a battery powered motor to turn the propeller, a pedestal display stand and a powered undercarriage set to deploy the landing gear.

The model is finished with pre-cut aluminum skin panels set upon a wooden airframe. You have the choice to either paint your model in its original wartime camouflage, or leave it in its natural aluminium finish.

http://www.model-space.c...5476.99.3.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=210999945.www.model-space.com&__utmk=109168838

http://s1217.photobucket...re/?albumview=slideshow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtS2BSo11WE

http://www.altaya.fr/pub...tfire/presentation.html

This is an online exclusive kit which will not be available in the shops.

Order link:

http://www.model-space.c...litary-models/spitfire/

The RS-T squadron code letters on the model, represent that of Robert Stanford Tuck's Mk.Vb Spitfire.

Wing Commander Robert Standford Tuck, DSO, DFC & 2 bars, was one of the leading Battle of Britain pilots with 29 enemy aircraft shot down during this period.
During his outstanding wartime career, Tuck was forced to bale out twice and force-landed twice. The second forced-landing put him down in enemy territory after his Spitfire was hit by anti-aircraft fire and was taken prisoner.

Captured by the very German troops Tuck had been firing upon as his aircraft was hit, he later recorded that their mood was understandably hostile and his own survival was certainly in question. However, "Tuck's luck" came to his rescue when his captors spotted that, by a remarkable chance, one of the last shots from the Spitfire had passed precisely down the barrel of a German AA gun, peeling it like a banana! On seeing this, the attitude of his capor's suddenly changed, they were now smacking him on the back, and shouting "Good shot, Englander-Good shot", which probably saved Tuck's life.

Tuck spent the next two years incacerated at the notorious in Stalag Luft III where he met many of his old friends that had also been captured, including his old CO Roger Bushell.

Bushell was 'X' - the camp escape officer who organised the break-out that became known as the 'Great Escape'. Before the escape took place, Tuck was transferred to another camp, where in the company of Polish Spitfire pilot Zbigniew Kustrzyński, they managed to escape whilst the camp was being evacuated westwards from Russian forces advancing into Germany, and managed to get to the Russian lines, and Tuck eventually making his way back to England.

At the time of his capture, Tuck had claimed 29 enemy aircraft shot down, two shared destroyed, six probably destroyed, six damaged and one shared damaged. However, in 1978, an aircraft recovery group excavated the site of a downed Me109, where after considerable MOD research, it was decided that the ME109 had been shot down by Tuck, but had only been claimed as "probable" at the time. It was duly accredited to him, bringing his total to 30.

File Attachment(s):
S4.jpg (716kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
S5.jpg (259kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
S6.jpg (2,293kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
Tomick attached the following image(s):
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
S3.jpg
painted-on-blank-background-1.jpg
Sandman
#2 Posted : 25 July 2013 14:53:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Tomick

Will it be available in South Africa?

Regards
Hendrik
Tomick
#3 Posted : 25 July 2013 15:32:27

Groups:

UK first then soon in AU/NZ/ZA
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 25 July 2013 16:40:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Thank`s Mr T,BigGrin
A wonderful insight in the story line and what a lovely scale. I`m drawing up the plans for it`s hanger already.
Please update asap with costs etc.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#5 Posted : 25 July 2013 16:54:44

Groups:

Glad you like. There is more to the Tuck story in this link along with actual images..

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=7364
Wilfy the Sea Dog
#6 Posted : 25 July 2013 17:01:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for info Mr T.

Can't wait until she takes off!

Wilfy
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 25 July 2013 17:26:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MWG
#8 Posted : 25 July 2013 17:46:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mr T sounds like a great kitBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Gaz
#9 Posted : 25 July 2013 18:02:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Mr. T this just what I been waiting for to come out. Is this going to be a continuation of the one that came out last year but was suspended after 5 issues. Reason I ask is I still have unopened these 5 issues or would I need to take out a new subscription for it.
Many many thanks
Gareth
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Smuggler
#10 Posted : 25 July 2013 19:51:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ok, nice model, need to decide if i want it........decision made .............Drool I WANT ITDrool I WANT ITDrool I WANT ITDrool
I smile because i have NO IDEA whats going on :)
Dontshootme
#11 Posted : 25 July 2013 20:51:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice...only one more delivery of Akagi....brilliant timing!!
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
jase
#12 Posted : 25 July 2013 20:58:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Love Love I have to have this!!!!!!!!!!!!!Drool Drool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#13 Posted : 25 July 2013 21:32:59

Groups:

Gaz wrote:
Thanks Mr. T this just what I been waiting for to come out. Is this going to be a continuation of the one that came out last year but was suspended after 5 issues. Reason I ask is I still have unopened these 5 issues or would I need to take out a new subscription for it.
Many many thanks
Gareth

Yes it's the same item and you may be able to start your Sub at despatch 2, though wait until my build for the first 4 issues appears just to be sure that you have the same parts.
stevie_o
#14 Posted : 25 July 2013 22:28:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

@Kev, Yep, id love one in this scale but I also notice there dosent seem to be an option to show the full engine either as the side panels are actually wooden frames, so the only option would be the top panel removeable.

Now, a mosquito in wood is another thing altogetherBigGrin
Steve
jase
#15 Posted : 25 July 2013 23:12:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I agree a mosquito in wood would be fantastic.

I recon it could be possible to re-work the nose and replace it with plastic card to show of the engine if indeed there is one. Alternatively you could display the engine separately on the stand.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#16 Posted : 27 July 2013 10:15:43

Groups:

jase wrote:
I agree a mosquito in wood would be fantastic.

I recon it could be possible to re-work the nose and replace it with plastic card to show of the engine if indeed there is one. Alternatively you could display the engine separately on the stand.

The bottom of this link show's a full parts listing.

http://www.altaya.es/col...struye-tu-spitfire.html

This image also gives you an idea of the size of this beasty
Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_3435.JPG
Tomick
#17 Posted : 27 July 2013 12:26:37

Groups:

Also the u/c is remotely operated
stevie_o
#18 Posted : 27 July 2013 13:11:56

It still dosent look like there will be an engine side view though, and Im really not trying to knock this model as I want to like it but from the pics Ive seen it just dosent look right to me.
Like I said the Zero looks awesome and if this was done in the same format then it would be fantastic.
Steve
Tomick
#19 Posted : 27 July 2013 13:43:19

Groups:

Pictures can often put things out of proportion. It was never intended to be the format of the Zero and will appeal to wooden kit builders where the Zero does not.

At the end of the day its down to personal choice, leaving those that want it, to enjoy it for what it is.
Dontshootme
#20 Posted : 28 July 2013 10:36:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hear hear!!
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae