Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Kens Akagi Build Diary Options
Ken
#1 Posted : 27 July 2013 16:05:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All.
Decided to take the plunge and start a diary of the Akagi. Didn't do one for the Yamato. So here goes.
Started by drawing a centreline down my timber base and covered it with 'clingfilm'. (this will be cut back to the keel sections as the build progresses. Marked and drew centrelines on the keel sections and pinned them to the base. Dry fitted all bulkhead sections in place until I have all. Decided at this stage resist temptation and not build any of the metal bits as they are safer in their respective packaging.
Ken attached the following image(s):
DSCF6695.JPG
DSCF6696.JPG
Ken

Completed Models
IJN Yamato, Hachette Titanic, Del Prado Victory, Tamiya 1/16 RC Pershing Tank, HMS Naiad, HMS Prince of Wales, Admiral Hipper, Tirpitz, USS North Carolina
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 27 July 2013 16:34:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Ken
Looking good and nice to see another Akagi build diary on the go
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Ken
#3 Posted : 27 July 2013 18:01:16

Thanks Andy. Looking forward to the next delivery. Been following your diary so I have an idea what to expect.
Ken

Completed Models
IJN Yamato, Hachette Titanic, Del Prado Victory, Tamiya 1/16 RC Pershing Tank, HMS Naiad, HMS Prince of Wales, Admiral Hipper, Tirpitz, USS North Carolina
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Gandale
#4 Posted : 27 July 2013 22:33:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice start you have made Ken, not building this myself but find all the builds interesting to follow, will be following your progress.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
Ken
#5 Posted : 28 July 2013 09:50:58

Thank you Alan for your interest. I hope my build will turn out as good as the others I have seen.
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

jase
#6 Posted : 28 July 2013 10:39:49

Hi Ken,

Will bw watching with interest - you are already doing better than I would have because i would not have resisted temptation on the metal parts LOL LOL
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Ken
#7 Posted : 28 July 2013 19:12:59

Hi Jase. It is difficult to resist temptation but I built the metal bits for the Yamato and had to be careful where I stored them. I will be deburring bits or adding little enhancements but I will not be doing any assembling until required.
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Ken
#8 Posted : 05 August 2013 17:18:12

Second package has arrived and have been able to get on with the build. Pinned all the keel sections to the base (predrilled to prevent any splitting) and glued all the supplied frames into place. Still resisting gluing any of the metalwork.
DSCF6769.JPG
DSCF6768.JPG
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Ken
#9 Posted : 04 September 2013 18:15:00

Hi All
Part 3 has arrived. Not much to do so will not be posting any pics for a while. will add some more when starting to plank the hull.

Ken
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Marcel
#10 Posted : 21 January 2014 10:44:59

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blink
Hi Ken,
I am watching this built too. I missed out on building the Akagi, due to the SOTS project. I agree to leave the metal parts in their package until it is necessary to start building.

Be careful of your assembly board (keel holder) not to twist. I prefer the Superwood board, but your build looks great from this side of the world.Cool

Have a great one;
Marcel

Blink
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Ken
#11 Posted : 21 January 2014 13:30:36

Hi Marcel
Thank you for your comments. My build board is a length of laminated timber which is very stable. Its great to have fellow model ship builders on the other side of the world lookin in.

The Akagi is progressing slowly as is expected from a partwork but I have almost completed the hull and will post pics soon.

cheers

Ken
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

ian smith
#12 Posted : 21 January 2014 13:31:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken.
very nice start. Look forward to seeing your progress Ian.BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 21 January 2014 18:29:19

BigGrin Looking good KenCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Ken
#14 Posted : 23 January 2014 14:45:23

Hi All
Thanks for your comments

Have been saving issues until I had enough to do the planking in one go. Rough sanded to shape, will complete when armour belts have been applied.

Decks dry fitted at present

Cheers
Ken
DSCF7316.JPG
DSCF7317.JPG
DSCF7318.JPG
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

Tomick
#15 Posted : 23 January 2014 14:50:31

Groups:

You've soon got that sorted, well done Ken, looks neat..
Ken
#16 Posted : 23 January 2014 15:02:07

Hi Mr T

Thanks for the comment. Enjoying this build at the moment. Its good to be able to check in on other build diaries to see what to expect

Cheers

Ken
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

arpurchase
#17 Posted : 23 January 2014 20:29:21

BigGrin looking good KenCool

Ken
#18 Posted : 24 January 2014 13:29:05

Hi arpurchase
Thanks for looking in.

Cheers
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6

jase
#19 Posted : 24 January 2014 13:48:43

Nicly done, following with interest

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Ken
#20 Posted : 24 June 2014 19:03:58

Hi All
Its been quite a while since I have posted anything. Have been collecting parts and had a session of putting together as much as possible. I have decided to eventually fix the flight deck permanently so will not be fitting any of the internal parts that will never be seen. To date its only the wooden parts that have been assembled. White metal and PE will be assembled and fitted when required.
DSCF7496.JPG
DSCF7497.JPG
DSCF7498.JPG
Ken

Completed Models
[Current Build
USS Enterprise CV6