Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages <1234>»
Marcel's Build: Sovereign of the Seas from De AGOSTINI (Agent: Jacklin Enterprise) Options
Marcel
#21 Posted : 12 August 2013 12:38:54

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Working with Bamboo can be a pain. I guess bamboo is the future wood as our forests starts to decline for farming space.

I found the micro drills and micro drill chuck at reasonable pices at a engineering tool supply just around the block of me.

The chuck can easily made fit in a electric screwdriver that has a slow turning speed. No need here for expensive equipment to drill bamboo.
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Marcel
#22 Posted : 14 August 2013 07:21:20

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Bamboo Planking

Its time to prep for the first layer of planking. This is a crucial stage that can effect the final look of your model.

Blink Been made aware of the flaws in Bamboo, I scrutinised my supplies of planking. Almost a quarter of one issue has flaws .

The pic highlight the flaws that the knots in bamboo causes.
Marcel attached the following image(s):
SOTS modeler nightmare.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#23 Posted : 14 August 2013 07:38:26

Part #24 filed down

Its a pain in the butt to get part #24 shamfered to specs. I used a fine rasp and file on this taking care not to damage the other parts.
SOTS Build  Filie part #24.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#24 Posted : 14 August 2013 08:14:40

Issue 17
1st Bow Plank

I left the 2nd deck for later to make it easier to fit clamps in those akward spaces. I want to achieve a mirror image on the Port-side, using spacers across.BigGrin

To get a clean line for the gun ports, I align the bow plank with my 1st deck plate. I hope it turns out well.Glare
SOTS Build fit the 1st Bowplank .jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

cuandv
#25 Posted : 14 August 2013 09:20:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking Good Marcel. Looking forward to getting back to building my SOTS.

DId you sand your bamboo planks a little before fitting them or did you just fit them and then plan to sand later?
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Marcel
#26 Posted : 14 August 2013 12:10:05

Cool Thanks cuandv,

I going to sand down after the Bamboo planking is done. Its a waiste of time do do it now. It needed to be sanded anyway to smooth things out for the second layer of planking.

I must admit that planking the Victory is a breeze against the SOTS's bamboo planking. I bought extra issues just in case I ran out of good bamboo planks.

I came across 2x4's planking of the Victory build. Its ideal to use it as spacers for the false keel when laying down the first bamboo planks at the keel and bow section (Issue 18).

Sovereign of the Seas

cuandv
#27 Posted : 14 August 2013 13:09:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blink
Have you built the Victory? Do you have a build log?
My planking hasn't turned out too bad on the victory after the sanding. Yes, a few little issues, but not bad for first time.

I am getting issue 18/19 posted now, so when I get those I will get back onto SOTS and sort out issues 13-19.
Cheers
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise
Marcel
#28 Posted : 14 August 2013 16:49:47

Hi cuandv
I did not built the Victory. Walter, a friend of mine, did finished his recent. Watching and "helping" him making progress, made me want to do a similiar project.

Unfortunate we did not comply a build log of his Victory build. All the info needed on the build of the Victory comes from this forum of previous builts of the Victory.Blushing

Learning can be painful and sometimes expensive, but that's what enriches lives.

Tip: If something does not seems right on your build, repair it immediately. After all, this models does not come cheap enough to make a mess of it.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#29 Posted : 15 August 2013 07:16:48

Planking the hull

I fitted a 4mm guide to assit with the firt planks. After carefull measurement I laid the first 3 planks and set to dry.
SOTS Build False keel 4mm spacer.jpg
SOTS Build Drilling bamboo.jpg
Glue the 1st keel planks.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#30 Posted : 15 August 2013 07:37:34

False keel seems out of line

Confused
I found a gap of +- 1mm at rib #15 that could be a result from tweaking the slots to level the deck plates.
I posted this matter in the Hull Section of the SOTS Build Post #8
I do not know if this is part of the design. I cannot find info regarding this matter in the forum. If I missed something, please post it here.

Any help for a dummy like me will be appreciated.

Sovereign of the Seas

jase
#31 Posted : 15 August 2013 07:47:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If I am correct your ribs are now sitting a bit low because you tweaked the slots ?? If so don't worry you can correct this when your fairing the hull. When you do this you can sand down ribs to set a smooth line and build up ribs by adding strip to the rib. Concern for me would be if you have. Changed the slots you may have changed the position of the ribs which could effect the overall hull shape. Have I understood you issue?

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dontshootme
#32 Posted : 15 August 2013 08:36:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking back through your diary it looks to me that even though you used a jig the keel was not perfectly flat to the base board,the pics in post 4 show a huge gap...this could be part of your problem.You mentioned that the decks were not lying flat...they won't be,decks rise up from the middle to bow & stern & usually side to side as well.I may be wrong in my observations maybe someone else could double check.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Marcel
#33 Posted : 15 August 2013 08:38:57

Hi jase

The ribs #20; 21 has dropped 1mm. Rib #22 (3rd rib from stern) has drobbed +- 0.5mm. The very last rib at the stern has not been fitted yet.

Rib # 7 and 13 seems good and sit flush with the false keel. I can file down the protusion, following the ribs shape to where it starts to curve. This should keep the profile of the hull realistic.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#34 Posted : 15 August 2013 08:52:15

Dontshootme wrote:
Looking back through your diary it looks to me that even though you used a jig the keel was not perfectly flat to the base board,the pics in post 4 show a huge gap...this could be part of your problem.You mentioned that the decks were not lying flat...they won't be,decks rise up from the middle to bow & stern & usually side to side as well.I may be wrong in my observations maybe someone else could double check.

Thanks Rob,
I realise I did make a big booboo out of this build. As a Newbie to ships, I learn as I build.
My mistake came from flattening the deck, not taken the scale of the build in consideration.Crying

Sovereign of the Seas

Hans
#35 Posted : 15 August 2013 13:27:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Marcel.
Don't beat yourself up about a mistake. This is wood it can be corrected. You are not too far to still fix. It will be a mission but worth it. PVA glue can be softened with steam and pins can be removed. Build up the ribs to the right shape and height and relay your deck. You may need to use wood fillers, cardboard strips, etc, but you can blend them in with sanding. It can be done. There are many folk including myself that have take off and do it again. Good luck.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Marcel
#36 Posted : 17 August 2013 08:44:07

Hans wrote:
Hi Marcel.
Don't beat yourself up about a mistake. This is wood it can be corrected. You are not too far to still fix. It will be a mission but worth it. PVA glue can be softened with steam and pins can be removed. Build up the ribs to the right shape and height and relay your deck. You may need to use wood fillers, cardboard strips, etc, but you can blend them in with sanding. It can be done. There are many folk including myself that have take off and do it again. Good luck.

I am OK now after being dissapointed with the ribs not to specs.
Thanks to all readers for supporting me.Cool

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#37 Posted : 17 August 2013 12:48:51

Going ahead

I have sorted out my problem with the ribs. I looked into the Italian forum (click to follw link) to get a better understanding of the gun ports location.

It make sense to make notes of the position of the ribs's upright position as you plank the bulk. This can help you to avoid cutting into the ribs when marking out the ports.
Its a good idea to draw the rib lines as you plank and write it down with a sketch of it. Cool If your ribs might be mis-aligned, you know exactly where they are. If you had to rely on guesswork of the rib's location, you are likely to cut into it.

Blink I took extra precaution and pinned the gunport planks for extra support (a tip I picked up from a build in this forum). The glue alone might not be strong enough when cutting out the ports. I sanded down the laser-ash for better bonding of the glue (PVA).

To get into those tight spots I made a small sanding block from the wood of the die. A handy 90 degree square-tool came out of the die. It helps to search your immediate surroundings to find solutions.
SOTS  Squares .jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#38 Posted : 17 August 2013 13:00:38

Another confusing step in Issue 15

Confused Glue part #34 to part #44. The slots in 44, where 34 goes into, are wider than the struds (view attached picture).Blink

To solve this, I took all the parts and fitted them dry into place; marked the correct location and glued them together.
SOTS Build Gaps .jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#39 Posted : 17 August 2013 22:45:32

Groups:

Coming on well MarcelCool that's a nice idea using sections of the fret as small squares.
Kind Regards Nigel
Marcel
#40 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:03:09

BigGrin
Assembling Stern set 27
Issue 15

Blink
To ensure a snug fit of all the parts and proper alignment of rib #27, I went a total different route to finish the stern-set.

After I glued the two brackets #34 onto the stern lower deck #44 (instruction Step 1-2), I turned the lower deck around and glued struts #43 onto lower deck #44 using rib #27, previous assembled and set aside, as a guide.

Issue 16;
I took the supporting pieces #46 and glued it to the half frame #49 as indicated in step 5. After the glue dried, I glued the half frames onto the stern deck extension #47 after taking measurements dry-fitted to the keel. I took the brace pieces #48 and glued it, as indicated, to part #47 so that it sits flush with the end of the deck extension.

I have now 3 different assembled pieces, rib #27, stern extension #43 and the half frame #49. The next step is to glue rib #27 to the half frame #49 and set to dry. The stern extension #43 was now glued into place followed by the two rear struts #45. The notches had to be slightly chamfered for a snug fit.

SOTS Section 27 1.4 .jpg
SOTS Section 27 1.2 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.2 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.1 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.4 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.5 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.6 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.7 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.8 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.9 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.10 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.11 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.12 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.13 .jpg
SOTS Build Sternset 27.14 .jpg

Sovereign of the Seas