Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages <12345>»
Marcel's Build: Sovereign of the Seas from De AGOSTINI (Agent: Jacklin Enterprise) Options
Gandale
#41 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:06:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Marcel, finding your build very interesting.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#42 Posted : 17 August 2013 23:18:08

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

NMBROOK wrote:
Coming on well MarcelCool that's a nice idea using sections of the fret as small squares.
Kind Regards Nigel

Thanks for the reply,

I cannot find a tool over the counter that is small enough for ship- modeling. Reading the forum how the modelers fabricate doors and ladders for their builds, made me came up with this idea.
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Marcel
#43 Posted : 19 August 2013 04:22:31

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gandale wrote:
Coming along nicely Marcel, finding your build very interesting.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thank You Alan,

Its all about trial and error. The build is getting more complicated from here onwards.
Blushing Planking is difficult... a skill I had yet to master!
I admit that the bamboo is tough on the hands.
Taking precuation that the wood does not splinter, I found it to be strong. It takes strain well.BigGrin

Marcel

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#44 Posted : 19 August 2013 10:38:04

Mellow

A bit of advice to all readers:
Do not swear in front of your grand children...

I used a nail pusher and the wood needed a lot of persuasion (#$%@!...) to let the nail in place and Ooops...Crying into my finger it slips....Huh

I guess this happens to all of us at some point of our lifes. BigGrin
Marcel attached the following image(s):
SOTS Finger.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

KobusBeukes
#45 Posted : 21 August 2013 12:44:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Marcel

Good to see your build diary with all the others, will be more visible here!BigGrin

Regards
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
Marcel
#46 Posted : 21 August 2013 15:37:10

Thanks Kobus,

Mr T was so generous to moved it for me...
Thanks Mr T BigGrin

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#47 Posted : 21 August 2013 22:48:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Pins in the fingers is a painful lesson..... and yes we have all done it at some stage....BigGrin BigGrin .. lesson learnt, keep fingers out of the way.....Laugh Laugh .. Still, your efforts are certainly worth the pain Marcel, nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#48 Posted : 22 August 2013 07:53:38

Thanks Alan,

[Cool
I hope to commence over the weekend with the SOTS. Life interfered again with my fun.Glare
The 2nd deck is in place. After the small "fiasco" with the dip and wave of the keel,Mad the SOTS was getting on my nerves. I do not want to find out that the SOTS cannot fly. She might break something.Laugh

I am also on the hunt for the resin glue... darn expensive though. I am curious about this new type of glue as a handy tool to my collection.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#49 Posted : 23 August 2013 14:50:34

Planking
Blink

With all the knots in the bamboo strips, I came up with the idea to mark and tape the strips in place on my bench.

After I checked my stock of bamboo strips for knots and flaws, I locate a suitable place for the the strip, so that the knot do not to interfere with the pins or bending process (the knots have the tendency to break). I avoid placing the knots in a bend/twist or on a rib. I want the knot in the strip to be relaxed in the middle of two ribs.

The strips are marked according to their location:
(Row 1)
Starboard 1A; 1B; 1C
Port-side -1A; -1B; -1C followed by Row 2, etc.

The strips are now taped down on a flat surface in the order they would appear on the hull. I study the seams for gaps and dips as illustrated in the photo at the pencil. The bad ones get marked and replaced.
Model planke taped.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#50 Posted : 23 August 2013 15:26:53

Groups:

Good work MarcelCool A very thorough and logical approach to solving the issues with the bamboo.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#51 Posted : 23 August 2013 18:58:40

Hi Marcel, a very simple but very effective idea and I am surprised it wasn't thought of before..... Lovely work, keep it going....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#52 Posted : 24 August 2013 07:38:37

NMBROOK wrote:
Good work MarcelCool A very thorough and logical approach to solving the issues with the bamboo.
Kind Regards Nigel

Hi Nige, thanks for the complimentLaugh .

Another thing I picked up is the difference in the width of the bamboo planks: measure 5mm and 5.5mm .Glare The 'Borrowers' might have swop them...

I was forced to remove the offending plank and fit the correct one.Mad

I guess that is why Tonick only used 5 planks on the underside of the Gallery instead of 6 (Official build).

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#53 Posted : 24 August 2013 07:58:06

Gandale wrote:
Hi Marcel, a very simple but very effective idea and I am surprised it wasn't thought of before..... Lovely work, keep it going....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan, Cool
Blink It might be stated somewhere in all of the diaries, but I was sorting out the bamboo when my eyes caught the masking tape next to me. At first I taped the marked ones in a bundle and from there things snowballed.

Did you also found a difference in the width of the planks? I have 18 bamboo planks that measures 5.00mm. This makes a significiant gap in my supplies that was supposed to be 5.50mm.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#54 Posted : 24 August 2013 08:59:02

Cutting ports in advance

Mellow

As a novice builder and willing to learn new skills, I wonder if it is wise to cut the ports for the cannons as you plank.
Blink I am at issue 20 now and read a couple of diaries in this forum to make me confident enough to do something that I might regret. Glare

If you, as reader of my build, have advice on this idea, please go ahead and give some pointers. As an apprentice of new skills, my mind is like a dry spounge for info.

Laugh

Sovereign of the Seas

jase
#55 Posted : 24 August 2013 09:32:43

Hi Marcel,

In my view the best thing to do is plank a couple of rows past the area of your gun port row then mark them out and cut out. the reason for this is to ensure you have correctly marked out positions before you start cutting. Also you will be surprised how much more stable the planking is, it will be a lot less likely to snap under stress of sawing drilling and cutting.

But doing your gun ports one row at a time while you plank is a good way of breaking up the monotony of planking and you can be working on cutting gun ports on one side while planking drys on the other side.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#56 Posted : 24 August 2013 09:37:54

Marcel wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan, Cool
Blink It might be stated somewhere in all of the diaries, but I was sorting out the bamboo when my eyes caught the masking tape next to me. At first I taped the marked ones in a bundle and from there things snowballed.

Did you also found a difference in the width of the planks? I have 18 bamboo planks that measures 5.00mm. This makes a significiant gap in my supplies that was supposed to be 5.50mm.

Hi Marcel, from a personal experience I quite liked using the bamboo and yes I found the strips to be of various thickness. However, this didn't concern me too much so simply concentrated in finding the best planks out of the supplies to do the job ensuring any knots in the wood were not lying in important places such as where the ports would be.. Think you will find as I did there is enough and more supplied in the issues to cover your needs. Bear in mind, the bamboo is the first layer and when applied will be sanded smooth and covered with the second layer of planks.. The second layer is easier to use and is less prone to the various thicknesses you are encountering with the bamboo... Concentrate on the smooth finish with the bamboo and you should be fine.... As for the cutting of the ports as you go along, this can be done but as you are concerned you may do something you may regret then perhaps it may be better to following the instructions as laid out in the mag.... Hope this helps and good luck, will be following your build to see how it progresses...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#57 Posted : 25 August 2013 16:04:23

Thanks Jase and Alan for the good advice.

I am going to keep it simple and stuck to the official standard build diary. I do not have all the measurements ready to take a leap into the stormy waters.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#58 Posted : 25 August 2013 16:37:16

Planking the underside of Gallery
Confused
I am a bit worried about the trimming of the planks under the gallery.

Instructions says (Issue #17) to cut the strips beyond #30 brackets and trim it untill anligned with the profile of of rib-frame 27.

I laid the first 3 rows from Bow to Stern before I planked the Underside of Gallery. This will give me an idea of the profile of the stern's underside.

Blink I want to know the distance of the planks from centre to end where hull's side planks will join with the underside.

I want the underside to have a natural inwards curve to the end of the keel to 'reduce drag'. It looks to flat if kept straight aligned.

If contour changes is made here only, will it have an effect to the point that the instructions on the rest of the build will become useless.

Pic 1 shows the natural run of the planks. In pic 2 the is minupulated with a 2mm insert (demo use only) to adjust the width of the underside.
under gallery 1 .jpg
under gallery 2 .jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#59 Posted : 25 August 2013 19:37:24

Groups:

Hi Marcel
I can't help with dimensions because my stern is completely altered for the kit.However I am not sure how you want to change the shape,a little sketch may help,then I can advise as to what effect it has on the rest of the build.
Kind Regards Nigel
Marcel
#60 Posted : 25 August 2013 21:37:10

I am not an artist and have to rely on PAINT to edit the photo.

The blue line is the suggested profile by the instructions.

The orange line is my new profile.
It is 1.5 mm inwards at bracket #45 (back support of Gallery) from the 1st to the 4th plank of the bow planks (the first 4 planks you put on the side). Hereon it follows the standard profile as formatted in the original build.
SOTS Build0498.jpg
SOTS new stern.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas