Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<34567>»
Marcel's Build: Sovereign of the Seas from De AGOSTINI (Agent: Jacklin Enterprise) Options
Marcel
#81 Posted : 02 September 2013 06:41:13

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Blushing

I google about my Isopropyl cleaning cloth after the friendly warning from you. It main purpose is for cleaning spills. Due to to strong solvent characteristic, it dulls wood and finishes. Blink

Due to this new info, I am to stay with my cloth damp with clean water. The Isopropyl cleaning cloth is to clean my table before the beloved one becomes Angry and re-arrange my workdesk. She still grabs my cloth for a quick wipe and disappear with it.Glare My new assistant (4 years of age) thinks my pin pusher is a Jumping Jack. He loves to "help" me pushing in the pins.Laugh

Marcel
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Marcel
#82 Posted : 02 September 2013 07:22:30

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mellow
Issue 18

I want to start with the garboard planks, but need your knowledge of laying the first tapered plank. Bear with me on this, I am on a training course for kids. I do understand how to make the tapers, but...Blink

In General building of laying tapers
How do you determine where to start the taper of the garboard and where on the keel the sharp point had to be placed? Tomick show his starts between #2 and #5.Confused The Question arises why not placing it at a stronghold as on #2 or on #5. There have to be a method to the madness...Glare

Sovereign of the Seas

Captain David
#83 Posted : 02 September 2013 07:39:53

Marcel, I added a piece of ply offcut to both sides of the keel, between those two ribs, then sanded back to profile.
Then you can glue down the tip of that plank wherever you want.
Check out posts 177 and 178 on my build to see what I mean.
Marcel
#84 Posted : 02 September 2013 13:36:12

Blink
Thank you David for the tip. I took your advice and glued pieces from the fret onto the keel.

I want to find out if there is a basic method to go about when laying the garboard planks. The instructions show you to place it as shown, but why not closer or futher from the front.Confused

If there are methods for advanced builders, show me please. Surely we do not want to stay emulators for life.Blushing

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#85 Posted : 02 September 2013 17:31:30

Groups:

Hi Marcel
The advanced correct method is that the garboard plank finishes where the keel starts to bend up.This method involves plank spilling.The planks are individually shaped out of sheet material.As planking techniques go,this is top of the tree.It isn't a technique I would recommend for the beginner and is certainly beyond the scope of this build using the supplied material.
I am planning on starting another build in the coming weeks and intend to illustrate how to adopt this technique.It is very complex so the only way to show how to do it is through a build log,so I can post photos of the stages involved.
Kind Regards Nigel
Marcel
#86 Posted : 02 September 2013 19:11:34

The top of the tree is where I want to be,
but for now I'll pee against the tree.LOL

Thanks Nigel for taking the time to teach me craft skills.BigGrin

I have read a thread regarding planking and together with your input, it all make sense to me where to put the garboard. Incorrect placing of the garboard can result in crowding of the remaining planks.
Plank spilling technique is defenitely a skill to be trained thoroughly.

Marcel

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#87 Posted : 02 September 2013 22:09:06

Groups:

LOL LOL LOL LOL Hi Marcel,you are quite right in what you say the closer you can get the end of the garboard plank to the start of the curve up makes life massively easier when it comes to tapering the planks.A good guide is when you have planked the sides to where the tapering starts,measure around from the planking to the keel at the widest portion and divide by the plank width,this gives you the number of planks.Then measure the available space at the bow down to where you want the end of the garboard.Divide this measurement by the number of planks and it gives you what the width at the end of the taper will be.
Kind Regards Nigel
Marcel
#88 Posted : 03 September 2013 19:41:42

Huh Blink

I went to the "School for Dummies" to learn how to climb this tree Nigel refers to.BigGrin

The Garboard plank should not be carried up too high the upward curve. Most beginners (like me) make this mistake and result in crowding of the hooding ends of the remainder planks and be too narrow.
If you side bend the planks (edge set) the plank's edge will lift off the frame, making the glue joint weak or impossible. Edge set have a clinker effect on your hull's planking which add extra work to rectify it.

Fitting stealers: I thought its tapering a plank and fills the gap. But you have to cut the taper's end into a < shape and joint it in the middle with 2 planks: 2 becomes 3 (like a highway splits into 3 lanes).
If you are not familiar with stealers,half or full I recommend you to do some research or PM me to send you the info in PDF.

No, I am not a college graduate now, but I learned alot from members of this forum. If you are like me, you want to be at the top-sails, (what are they called?) enjoying the compliments of your hard work.

Sovereign of the Seas

jase
#89 Posted : 03 September 2013 20:40:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi marcel,

You do not have to form a chevron it looks more aesthetic if you are staining planks but you can have a straight edge if you prefer. Just make sure your joints are located on the ribs.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Marcel
#90 Posted : 05 September 2013 13:52:22

Blink Thank you Jase for your input. I am at the "Noob-School" and I want to learn this technique as a building block.
Any booboos here, will be hidden under the second planking. Blushing

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#91 Posted : 05 September 2013 14:24:38

I got hold of guidelines for beginners that teaches you how to build from scratch. Flapper. This has put the brakes on my build, as I want to utilise the techniques shown in the manual on my build. Bored

By fitting the battons temporality , I have a good idea what's needed for a realistic look when I continue with the planking.
I am planning of using wider plank for the Garboard, 1.5mm and top it to 2mm with Verneer. I try to work around it until I made up my mind about the Garboard. There are so many thing to plan ahead, so many things I intend to forget.

To put a little bling to my build, I found beautifull cannons from Atersian Latina as replacement. It should compliment the stained carriage well. I ordered one to see if I can replace it with the original.Glare
Does anyone knows if the cannons in this build will be of different pounders like in the Vic?Blink

P.S
(South Africans, Atersian Latina's office is in Jo-burg. I ordered a couple of things via Clowns Hobby shop.)Wub

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#92 Posted : 05 September 2013 18:36:54

Groups:

Hi Marcel
I was going to give you the name of a really good book on planking,but can I find itCursing Cursing Cursing Cursing .I am planning on posting a review on this book as it has some invaluable tips for beginners.
I understand what you mean by dividing the hull up with battens.This really is only necessary if you want the plank layout of the outer layer authentic.If you use this technique for the first planking as well,you run the danger of the patterns being the same on both layers.This can reduce the overlapping between the two layers and weaken the hull.My advice would be concentrate on a fair solid surface on the first planking as it is only a base layer,then be artistic with the second planking that is on show.That way,you will have completely different patterns,making a strong hull.
As regards the cannons,If you have ordered the bronze coloured A latina ones,they are the same as the ones supplied,just prefinished in the bronze Patina.The cannons for the hull haven't been supplied on the Italian forum so I don't think anyone knows other than A Latina.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#93 Posted : 05 September 2013 22:30:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Marcel, will be watching to see what you come up with when you get back on the build again.... wishing you every success.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#94 Posted : 06 September 2013 06:51:07

Blink
Hi Nigel, Keep searching for the book/s please, its usualy kept high out of reach of wife and kids hands.BigGrin

Thanks for pointing out the second layer. I am now only going to straighten the 2nd band due to the set egde I did to follow the decks Blushing . I noticed I have a few planks that clinker at the bow section due to the set edging (only find out recently its a bad thing).
At the stern section I shall have to fit a stealer/dropper to ease the planking towards the keel. If I can do all this in one band, I should be OK with the rest of the original built diary.

Regarding the cannons, it is the bronze ones. I am not fond of tinkering with chemicals. I might order enough for the top deck and keep the unpainted ones for whatever. I was going for blue gun the cannons at the gunshop, but Nah... do not like the colour.
Marcel attached the following image(s):
Stealers 2 .jpg
Stealers.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#95 Posted : 06 September 2013 07:09:24

Hello Alan, I wanted to boast with my new skills that I have learned about planking, but Nigel warned me about the effect it will have on the second layer if I continue.

At least I have fun messing with the bamboo. Its hard to get a clean cut. One fibre not cut through, tears along the side of the plank, spoiling the jointing seat. I begin to understand why they send cannons and anchors in between the planking. The teadious task of constant planking can make you do silly things. I got so used to wearing the Optics that I walked around the room, wearing it for spectacles.

Looking at your built, there is a few things I want to emulate. It looks realy fab from here.

Marcel

Sovereign of the Seas

NMBROOK
#96 Posted : 06 September 2013 12:05:45

Groups:

Hi Marcel
Pleased to say I found said book last nightBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
'Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders' by Donald Dressel ISBN 978-0-8306-2868-1.I got my copy through Amazon and it's not expensive.There are many articles on the internet but none of them go into planking to the same depth as this book.Now that I have found it,I will do a review over the weekend.
You are right,I have seen these cannons in my local modelshop.The finish is identical to the Amati ones I posted on my log.You will struggle to replicate this finish.If you order these cannons complete with carriages,they come with laser cut walnut carriages not plywood.
Kind Regards Nigel
Marcel
#97 Posted : 07 September 2013 06:00:26

Laugh
Thanks again Nigel, I google it and is cheap. I look forward to get an issue.

Regarding the planking, I consider removing a few rows and start over to rectify the mistakes.Huh The stern is a big headache for me. It has too many gaps to my liking due to the set edging. Mad
A great idea of placing the fisrt row absolute level with the deck turned into a nightmare as I proceed down the hull.Blushing ("now the slinters is pointing north").

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#98 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:02:57

Its been a while since I did an update on my build.
I laid row six (from the deck)in a straight line to remove the klinker effect. This caused gaps that need to be filled with droppers. At the bow I used a 3mm dropper and in the middle a filler plank. I am happy with the results.
Marcel attached the following image(s):
Stern new plank.jpg
Bow new plank.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

jase
#99 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:14:45

coming along nicely
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#100 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:18:16

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Marcel, keep at it and you will reap the rewards... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan