Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<56789>
Marcel's Build: Sovereign of the Seas from De AGOSTINI (Agent: Jacklin Enterprise) Options
Marcel
#121 Posted : 28 January 2014 08:00:50

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks Alan for the nice comments. This is an idea I picked up from reading tons of information about ship-modelling on the internet.

Due to the fact that I am a novice builder, I am curious how the instruction was formulated to give me a better understanding about the steps in the magazine. If I need to make alterations due to a earlier mistake, I have some knowledge on what bands I can use to do modification, without discarding the original instructions (only bending it a little).
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Marcel
#122 Posted : 28 January 2014 08:12:08

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I was working on the stern at the bottom of the castle when I saw the inside contours of the structure ribs. When planked, this smooth profile disappear due to the flatness of the planks. It bothered me from the beginning of the planking that the half-round shapes does not have a smooth curve.

I want to simulate this effect as close as possible while the structure rib is still visible.

Glare
(Tip: Always make cardboards templates from parts and store in a safe place for future references!)
Marcel attached the following image(s):
Stern inside profile.jpg
Stern side.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Martyn Ingram
#123 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:12:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work on the planking Marcel keep the pics coming BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Marcel
#124 Posted : 04 February 2014 14:25:12

CoolThanks Martyn for looking into my build.

Issue 24 Last few steps on the hull
The flu ruined my weekend. I was in bed not able to do anything constructive on my build.
GlareWhen I received the laser cut parts for the castle, I discovered the strakes does not align. I had to remove some of the planks to rectify the misalignment of the strakes at the bottom of the castle.

Its only small adjustments to be made, before I am back on track. The black strings (marking the bands) is a great help for a quick fix.(I am glad this is a 'double-plank' build to hide my flaws). Blushing

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#125 Posted : 05 February 2014 18:32:53

Crying
I had reach another roadblock in the first layer of planking. Issue 20 have 10 strakes from bow to stern. I have only used 9 strakes to reach the same goal. My only explanation is the 5.5mm wide bamboo of my supplies instead of the 5mm width: 10 x 0.5mm = 5mm. To follow the instructions I need to compromise a few steps. I have to use lots of grey matter and maths to come true again with the instruction.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#126 Posted : 05 February 2014 23:24:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Marcel wrote:
Crying
I had reach another roadblock in the first layer of planking. Issue 20 have 10 strakes from bow to stern. I have only used 9 strakes to reach the same goal. My only explanation is the 5.5mm wide bamboo of my supplies instead of the 5mm width: 10 x 0.5mm = 5mm. To follow the instructions I need to compromise a few steps. I have to use lots of grey matter and maths to come true again with the instruction.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Hi Marcel, for the first layer the number of strakes used compared to the written instructions for me wouldn't be too important nor any great concern. My overriding concern and where my attention would be would be in ensuring I keep the profile spot on and finishing off with a nice smooth finish ready for the second layer.... After all the first layer isn't going to be seen...... Cool Cool

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#127 Posted : 06 February 2014 06:29:40

Thanks Alan for the help here.ThumpUp

Blushing
I planned not to paint the hull white, but to use dark veneer. Although imperfections will be hidden, I need to fix my booboo I made at the stern in row 1 from the 1st two decks. I placed it one row too high which had to be broken off and rectified to fit the laser cut parts of the castle.

I had a good night rest while brainstorming and came up with a solution for my dilemma. All is need is a bit of my engineering skills.Blink

.HuhIf 9 rows is enough to do the job of 10 rows, which both measure close to 50mm, I only have to move on to the steps of the 11th row in the instructions
I can also use one or two sharp long tapered plank at the stern to equal the number of planks on all ribs and level the rows later as shown in the instructions.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#128 Posted : 07 February 2014 07:59:37

BigGrin
Thank you all members of this forum. I manage to solve my planking problem at the stern and is glad to tell you that I am back on track with the instructions in the magazines.

I tested row 11 as instructed and it falls in place. When I put a new uncut plank over the hull to mark out the taper, the taper correspond with the original. I still have the same amount of planks on the ribs per band needed. I can now move on completing the first layer. This is a dreadful task I wish to get finished soon.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#129 Posted : 07 February 2014 14:06:53

For the infill at the stern, I used 6mm apple wood for more support.

I used the small sanding-barrel mandrill from the rotary drill kit to sand it down by hand the contour where the castle meets the lower planks.

The rest is the basic instructions followed.
Sanding tool.jpg
Row 11 Stern.jpg
Row 11 Bow.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#130 Posted : 07 February 2014 22:37:12

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Marcel, planking is coming along really well and you have done a great job on that stern section......Cool Cool .. Keep posting the updates.....

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#131 Posted : 10 February 2014 11:45:36

Sovereign of the Seas
The HMS Sovereign of the Seas had a total length of 71 meters, a beam of 14.7 meters and a draught of 7.2 meters. The keel was timber piece of 39 meters length and 80 cm thickness. The golden decorations alone were equivalent to the cost of an average warship armed with forty guns.
The kitchen was traditionally placed in the forecastle, while the quarterdeck and poop housed the chambers of the commander and officers. The orlop deck and the hold, (below the gun decks) served as the storage for the goods of the ship. On the orlop deck below the commander’s and officers’ chambers, runs the rudder’s tiller which was attached to a lever to control the steering.
The gun decks, bulwarks and uncovered upper gun deck were painted in bright red to dissimulate the blood patches during combat.
The bronze cannons were typical of that time. To gain better stability, one of the covered gun decks was later removed.
Most of the precious ornaments were also removed as well and also her name was modified; firstly Sovereign in 1650, lately Royal Sovereign in 1685.

Sovereign of the Seas
1 - Spritsail :: 2 - Spritsail topsail :: 3 - Foresail :: 4 - Fore topsail :: 5 - Fore topgallant sail :: 6 - Fore royal sail :: 7 - Mainsail :: 8 - Main topsail :: 9 - Main topgallant sail :: 10 - Main royal sail :: 11 - Mizzen topsail :: 12 - Mizzen topgallant sail :: 13 - Mizzen sail :: 14 - Topmast of spritsail topsail :: 15 - Fore stay :: 16 - Fore topmast stay :: 17 - Fore topgallant stay :: 18 - Fore royal stay :: 19 - Main stay :: 20 - Main topmast stay :: 21 - Main topgallant stay :: 22 - Main royal stay :: 23 - Mizzen stay :: 24 - Mizzen topmast stay :: 25 - Mizzen topgallant stay :: 26 - Forepeak fairleads :: 27 - Bowsprit lashings :: 28 - Fore stay collar :: 29 - Clew garnet :: 30 - Buntline :: 31 - Bowlines :: 32 - Bridles :: 33 - Halyard :: 34 - Cargo rig :: 35 - Topping lift

Rigging no.png

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#132 Posted : 10 February 2014 11:51:23

Issue 24

I had to shuffle some steps of planking to avoid the clinker effect. I used less rows due to the fact of the somewhat wider bamboo planks in my batch.
Keel taper insetrs.jpg
Finished Issue  24.jpg
Small taper  at stern.jpg
Bow side viw.jpg
Bow front tapers.jpg
Side view.jpg
Mannetjies.jpg
Figure head.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#133 Posted : 10 February 2014 22:12:22

Progressing very nicely Marcel and you soon have the first layer complete... Looks as if it will sand down very nicely to give you a good grounding for the 2nd layer.... Cool Cool .. Keep up the good work and keep posting.....

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#134 Posted : 11 February 2014 04:12:16

Thanks Alan,
Cool

I am pressing time to close the hull with the first layer. I keep on missing important information about where to start the next row, ending up breaking it off again.
The instructions can be misleading at times, but I learned to read it careful over and over. By now I have a good knowledge of planking and how the bands interact, thus make it easier to work on the hull. The sanding will need a lot of attention to correct the bumps where the butts meet, but I am happy with the overall planking.

The poster of the SOTS hangs proud on my study's wall to remind me of my goal. Its stays a mystery how those sailors manage to live under those conditions.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#135 Posted : 12 February 2014 19:05:05

Issue 25

Making the hole in one of the thwarts is done easier with a 3mm drill bit.

Clamp or glue the ends of two pieces of planks together and drill a hole on the centreline.
Separate the two planks and you'll have a precise 3mm wide by 1.5 deep recess in the thwart.
Photo0065.jpg
S25-5[1].JPG

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#136 Posted : 13 February 2014 12:46:50

Marking the gunports

I triple checked the measurement of the ports to make sure it correspond with those of the instructions. I deliberately did not close the hull before I start to work on the first deck's ports. With the ribs and deck still visible, I can use it as a marker to avoid mistakes.

I measured the lower deck from the inside wall of the hull and marked it on the outside of the strake. This pencil line indicates the exact location of the bottom of the plate, in my case 25mm from the top deck.
Subtract the 2mm thickness of the deck plates and you have the 23mm transverse line from the instructions, which correspond with the top of your deck plate that you build in Issue 11.

I used a 4mm strip and clamped it onto the rib as a guide for my port. With the calliper I marked the port distances from the rib. I made a 12mm x 13mm square to use as a jig to fill in the port's border lines.
Photo0066.jpg
Photo0067.jpg
Photo0068.jpg
Marked port.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

ian smith
#137 Posted : 13 February 2014 17:25:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI Marcel.
Looking very nice. look forward to seeing your progress IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gandale
#138 Posted : 13 February 2014 23:15:55

Nicely done Marcel, will be watching your progress..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#139 Posted : 14 February 2014 06:37:31

ian smith wrote:
HI Marcel.
Looking very nice. look forward to seeing your progress IanCool BigGrin

Thanks Ian for looking in. I find the part works halters my progress while I had to wait for needed issues that contains vital info on certain measurements.
On the bright side, I have to admit that its fun to take a break from the planking. I stumbled onto many flaws in the measurements that can be corrected now with the hull semi-planked.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#140 Posted : 14 February 2014 08:25:09

Gandale wrote:
Nicely done Marcel, will be watching your progress..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan for the encouragement. I watch your build too for ideas to steal.ThumpUp I consider to leave the nailing blank on the veneer and have a glossy finish. The port lining in walnut will be a good contrast. The red is only for the blood-thingy. I guess my ship is build for the scene in 300
Progress... what progress, Crying ?
Its slow but I enjoy putting the pieces together on with my build. Watching other builds keep me on my toes and alert for flaws.

Our 'world famous' striking South Africa has caused a delay in deliveries of my issues. This is somehow a good thing, because I can now focus on the gun ports.

Sovereign of the Seas