Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<6789>
Marcel's Build: Sovereign of the Seas from De AGOSTINI (Agent: Jacklin Enterprise) Options
Marcel
#141 Posted : 14 February 2014 09:08:41

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Issue 35
Measurements again

Step 13: The port at rib 16 was increased from 15mm to 20mm to get the port more centre as advised by Tommick in the official build.

Step 14 shows the port between rib 26 & 30 to be 7mm from rib 26. I reduced it from 7mm to 5mm to get it centre. The original measurements will cause the port to be cut 1mm into part 49 (Issue 16). I have now 1mm clearance between both the ribs.
Marcel attached the following image(s):
Gunport new.jpg
-15mm - 20mm.jpg
part 46.jpg
Photo0072.jpg
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
Gandale
#142 Posted : 14 February 2014 23:06:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Marcel, there is a lot of measuring to do so just double check everything.... Good luck on cutting those ports out, I found it a very time consuming process but so worthwhile...... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#143 Posted : 18 March 2014 17:24:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Marcel.
Looking Very nice. Good luck with the gun ports. Look forward to seeing the end rusult. IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Marcel
#144 Posted : 28 April 2014 07:41:46

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Cool
Thanks Alan and Ian for looking in. I was waiting for the deck plates and other parts to continue planking.

Blink
I use the decks to proper align the upright ribs before fixing the strakes into a permanent position. The plates also indicates that my gun ports sits' perfect in line with my measurements of the ports.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#145 Posted : 28 April 2014 07:51:12

In the mean time, I did some odd work on my build. Instead of bamboo, I used walnut to cover the front piece at the bow. I made it as a removable part for future work still to be done.

Although it would not be visible, I had dismissed of the supplied part and planked the floor directly onto the bow.
Photo0081.jpg
Photo0083.jpg
Photo0084.jpg
Photo0085.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#146 Posted : 03 May 2014 01:18:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Marcel, coming along very nicely..... love the walnut facing.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing more of your build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#147 Posted : 07 May 2014 19:41:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Marcel,
Build looking great. Well done with the walnut overlay - a nice touch.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Marcel
#148 Posted : 17 May 2014 12:45:46

Thanks for looking in at my build. I got this idea from Martyn's build

Sovereign of the Seas

karl1113
#149 Posted : 17 May 2014 21:12:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice work marcelCool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
stevie_o
#150 Posted : 17 May 2014 21:47:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

cruorangelussilicis
#151 Posted : 18 May 2014 11:57:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Fantastic build log, am really enjoying seeing your progress.
Marcel
#152 Posted : 20 May 2014 16:59:30

karl1113 wrote:
nice work marcelCool

Thanks Karl, I get most of my ideas from the forum.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#153 Posted : 20 May 2014 17:07:51

stevie_o wrote:
Coming on nicely Marcel, like the walnut planksBigGrin
Steve

Hi Stevie, thanks for the nice comment. I want to move away from the general painted version and find the walnut a great alternative and goes well with the Sapele strips. I am still in the dark what to use for the gun port-linings.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#154 Posted : 20 May 2014 17:33:17

cruorangelussilicis wrote:
Fantastic build log, am really enjoying seeing your progress.

Hi Mike, thanks for looking in. I admit the Victory-build is a notch too high at this stage of my novice skills and shall give it a pass.

Progress is slow due to the needed parts being stretch out in different issues. I am still waiting for deck plates and poop-deck parts before I can cut the gun ports. I have discovered that some of my initial measurements is slightly off when I compare it with the mating parts. A small supplied part is out of specs and I end up making it myself.

Sovereign of the Seas

claret
#155 Posted : 21 May 2014 08:58:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Marcel,

Looking very nice indeed.

Regards
Claret
Also working on:
SOTS.
Moebius 1/32 Flying Sub with PE & lights.

Waiting in the wings:
Polarlights Spindrift from Land of the Giants.

finished:
007 Iconic DB5.
Hans
#156 Posted : 24 June 2014 13:23:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely job there Marcel, that walnut looks great.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
Marcel
#157 Posted : 24 June 2014 14:05:41

Thanks Claret and Hans for your comments. I waited very long for issue 44 to arrive due to some management problems from my supplier. It has arrived a few days ago and I was exited to unpack my build again.

I dry fit the 3rd deck plates and discover I made a booboo at rib 26 by gluing it skew onto the bulk. It is an easy fix for me. I cut off the guilty rib section level with the 2nd deck plate, break it free from the bamboo planking, then glued it back into place again. I had to re-do the last top 3 strakes to correct the profile of the planking.

I am disappointed to find out I have to wait 6 months before they will send me the quarterdeck parts contained in #Issue 68. This is needed to get the correct profile at the Captain's Quarters.

Sovereign of the Seas

Marcel
#158 Posted : 22 December 2014 06:27:33

Cool Summer has arrived and so has many more issues of the SOTS. The last of the deck plates finally made its appearance.

I manage to rectify the profile of the AFT- castle so that the plates can fit proper. I had to break down many strakes of bamboo to achieve my goal. I decided its best to complete all the floors before sanding and cutting. This will give me a better base to calculate measurements accurate.

When I laid the support beams, I used bamboo skewer-sticks as upright supports.
Photo0221.jpg
Photo0220.jpg
Photo0219.jpg

Sovereign of the Seas

Gandale
#159 Posted : 23 December 2014 01:11:11

Nice to see you back on the build Marcel, coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool .. Hope to see more soon....

Regards

Alan
Marcel
#160 Posted : 24 December 2014 08:25:26

Gandale wrote:
Nice to see you back on the build Marcel, coming along very nicely.....Cool Cool .. Hope to see more soon....

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, Yes , I'm back on the SOTS. I am also busy building a smaller ship form the 18th century as a gift for a friend of mine.

I had to wait for the decks to continue. The front upper deck was out of line and the deck plate did not align at all.

Sovereign of the Seas