Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Launch anchor Options
Capt Stedders
#1 Posted : 21 June 2010 11:16:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Whilst one of the smaller details on the launch, I notice that the anchor supplied with our build parts is 'two-pronged' with a stock whilst the 'other' kit seems to come with a tri-pronged one (and no stock).

Small fish at the end of the day and of little consequence to the overall build - but being interested in the fiddly details, I was just wondering if anyone knew what is correct?

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Tomick
#2 Posted : 21 June 2010 14:14:44

Groups:

Grapnel anchor
Tomick attached the following image(s):
Grapnel anchor.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 21 June 2010 14:33:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
Grapnel anchor

I'm confused now!Confused Where does the other anchor go them???
Tomick
#4 Posted : 21 June 2010 15:20:49

Groups:

Its just to show Sted's what a grapnel anchor looks like
Capt Stedders
#5 Posted : 21 June 2010 18:03:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Cheers for the pic T, - I see it has FOUR sides and not, as I first thought, three.

Most helpful.

ThumpUp

@ Capt Birdseye: the anchor supplied with the kit is 'representative' - I have since scoured the internet and my local angling shop for something similar and whilst I have found such delights as 'Admiralty' style anchors, Modern, cast ones, and even sand anchors, I'll be damned if I can find a Grapnel one. As for my local angling shop, the dweeb that mans the counter, once he could pull himself away from contemplating a paper bag, thought I was taking the mick when I asked if they stocked a grapnel and was far too up his own... to even bother asking any further questions.. I hate that kind of attitude.

Mad

Anyway, I digress; it's nice to have the anchor represented in the kit, even if it's not all that accurate, at least we have one (and, to be honest, how many people who see it will notice that it's the wrong type?) - I'll be trying to scratch a more accurate replacement once I have caught up with the build sequence and keep you informed - if anyone has any idea's, feel free to share them.

Tools.

Dontshootme
#6 Posted : 21 June 2010 19:31:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Rich,the only way I could think of a possible scratch solution would be 4 freshwater hooks fixed together,what size would be to scale..ish I couldn't say.I know for sea fishing you can get a 3 pronged hook that looks like a grapnel but they would be way too big,not sure if there is a freshwater equivalent though
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Capt Stedders
#7 Posted : 21 June 2010 20:04:43

Dontshootme wrote:
Rich,the only way I could think of a possible scratch solution would be 4 freshwater hooks fixed together,what size would be to scale..ish I couldn't say.I know for sea fishing you can get a 3 pronged hook that looks like a grapnel but they would be way too big,not sure if there is a freshwater equivalent though

Rob

A combination of fish hooks and GS seems the most likely solution - at this scale, I reckon that the fact that the fish hook body, having a round profile (as opposed to a rectangular one like the anchor could be got around by gluing two complete hooks together (filling the indentation where they join with GS) and then adding the pointy ends of two more hooks.

I shall explore this solution after we receive the relevant mag issue that covers the ropes.

I am also leaving the eyebolt off until I can attach the anchor cable to it (figuring that it'll be easier to tie a fiddly knot off-model and then add it, together with the rope and anchor assemblies than the other way round..

But it's early days yet and my brain is still working out how to fudge the thwarts after filing too many oar slots.. (9)

Blushing Crying

Tools.

karl1113
#8 Posted : 21 June 2010 20:17:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

cpt sted.!!!!!LISTEN, you was in the right place(fishing shop) you buy a spinning lure, some are treble hooks and some have four, I could buy either in my local fishing shop,but saddly closed now,look on the net google treble fish hooks and you should get both.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
willie
#9 Posted : 21 June 2010 21:23:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

grapnel anchor try The Model Ship Yard, Amati section one there 20mm same size as the one supplied for a couple pounds
Capt Stedders
#10 Posted : 21 June 2010 21:31:19

karl1113 wrote:
cpt sted.!!!!!LISTEN, you was in the right place(fishing shop) you buy a spinning lure, some are treble hooks and some have four, I could buy either in my local fishing shop,but saddly closed now,look on the net google treble fish hooks and you should get both.

Blink

Egads!!

You are right! Just googled spinning lures and lo and behold! Little anchors just waiting to be bashed into shape!

Thankyou Karl ThumpUp

Aside from being impressed by your pointer (and I am) - I have another trip to make to the local angling emporium to have a word with the boss about customer service, lost sales and employing arrogant *wits for staff.

Tools.

karl1113
#11 Posted : 21 June 2010 22:38:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

cpt sted, just eat humble pie and just tell them you are a mad inventer and they'll give yer a cuppa for bothering them.Blushing
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#12 Posted : 21 June 2010 22:40:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

has anybody got a pic of the launch anchor for reference? how do we know the victory launch had the same type as Mr T's pic he is demonstrating what 'one' looks like not the actual one! i cant find a pic on tinternet!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mike Turpin
#13 Posted : 22 June 2010 00:30:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Capt Stedders wrote:
Whilst one of the smaller details on the launch, I notice that the anchor supplied with our build parts is 'two-pronged' with a stock whilst the 'other' kit seems to come with a tri-pronged one (and no stock).

Small fish at the end of the day and of little consequence to the overall build - but being interested in the fiddly details, I was just wondering if anyone knew what is correct?

An interesting point of detail. Checking this out in Harland, the anchor supplied with the launch is more like a kedge anchor. This was a small anchor used when warping a ship out of a harbour in a calm. The anchor was taken out away from the ship in a boat such as the launch and dropped. The capstan was then used to haul in the anchor cable pulling the ship towards the anchor, this might have to be repeated several times. The kedge anchor was too heavy for normal boat use and was stowed on top of the other anchors on the side of the ship. As Capt Stedders so rightly observes the typical anchor stowed in a launch would be a relatively light grapnel which could be either three or four prongs usually.

Not being a frequenter of angling shops I noticed tonight that Cornwall Boats also stock the Amati 20 mmm grapnel which I will try to remember next time I put an order in. When fastening the anchor rope to this anchor a fisherman's bend would be OK rather than the anchor clinch and cable bends suggested in the post for the bower anchor.

It never ceases to amaze me just how much detail we are dredging up and the build only just started!

Mike T

Capt Stedders
#14 Posted : 22 June 2010 01:25:22

Mike Turpin wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me just how much detail we are dredging up and the build only just started!

Mike T

I agree, It all adds to the enjoyment of this build and this whole community rapport and sharing of ideas certainly isn't something you would find inside a boxed kit (even if you might find other, quite useful items - such as detailed plans and a grapnel).

Laugh

As trade-offs go, we seem to be doing ok.

Tools.

Tomick
#15 Posted : 22 June 2010 09:16:06

Groups:

jase wrote:
has anybody got a pic of the launch anchor for reference? how do we know the victory launch had the same type as Mr T's pic he is demonstrating what 'one' looks like not the actual one! i cant find a pic on tinternet!!

As a normal rule ships boats had 'grapnel' types of anchor which have three or four hooks, the photo shows the four hook version which is the most likely candidate and is meant as an example in reply to Stedders question.
Hoover
#16 Posted : 22 June 2010 11:06:06

Groups:

Anchor photos from the content of the Panart 1/16 Launch kit
Hoover attached the following image(s):
Grapnel Anchor 1.JPG
Grap Anch 2.JPG
Mac
#17 Posted : 22 June 2010 11:26:47

Capt Stedders wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

I agree, It all adds to the enjoyment of this build and this whole community rapport and sharing of ideas certainly isn't something you would find inside a boxed kit (even if you might find other, quite useful items - such as detailed plans and a grapnel).

Laugh

As trade-offs go, we seem to be doing ok.

I totally agree I love it all, the perfectionists, the innovators, the ever vigilent research hounds,and the bods who willingly share their disasters and triumphs. This forum has been an unexpected delight.
Pam's shipyard is closed for now no more room!

Capt Stedders
#18 Posted : 22 June 2010 13:02:05

After reading Willie's & Mike's posts and checking out the Amati Grapnel, it makes a lot more sense to buy one of those, it's easier and probably a lot cheaper than fiddling around with a spinning lure and GS. Besides, I'm not sure what use I'd find for the surplus shimmery plastic fish... (which, in the case of no commercially produced grapnels being available was a stonkingly good suggestion).

Good find.

Cool

Tools.

Bounty Hunter
#19 Posted : 22 June 2010 16:11:35

Groups:

In the link below is a You Tube video and information about the replica launch often seen at various events in the South West. Apart from the size is does look a bit different to the one supplied in the kit, which asks the question how accurate is the kit launch as these people in the HRMS know what they are doing and are clearly not armchair experts.

http://www.hms.org.uk/
Capt Stedders
#20 Posted : 22 June 2010 16:52:39

Can You point to one Victory kit launch that is 100% accurate?

I have noted several things about the Jokita kit launch that could have made it a lot more detailed and thus, more accurate. (For example, how exactly would the masts be secured to the thwarts on it? - come to think of it where are the masts? the lack of such detail doesn't mean that the Jokita kit is pants by any means, but where do you stop finding fault?

The suggested paint scheme in the jokita build differs from the replica launch (built and painted, presumably by experts)that stands next to HMS Victory at Portsmouth. Does that make it duff?

Is HMS Victory herself 'inaccurate' simply because she has had refits?

Edit: Two Amati Grapnel anchors ordered as per suggestions.

My fingertips thank Mike and Willie. *Saved from multiple piercings by fish hooks*

Laugh

Tools.