Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Comments Please Options
Paul
#1 Posted : 22 June 2010 12:39:30

Groups: Registered

Location: Waterlooville, Portsmouth. The home of HMS Victory.
I'm now up to issue 11 and started the build very slowly. After a lot of research I started the cannon of which I have tried to add as much detail as possible including a weathered cum antique look. However I've drawn the line at adding the royal cypher and the priming hole. I am still not completely satisfied and have ordered more cannon. Please let me have your comments/observations it will be much appreciated.

Paul.

Paul attached the following image(s):
Picture 116.jpg
Picture 118.jpg
Picture 120.jpg
Capt Stedders
#2 Posted : 22 June 2010 12:55:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The construction seems sound enough and the attention to detail is good - my only suggestions would be to use the eyelets from size 14 fishing hooks as they are more in-scale and maybe try finding some finer chain.

As for the finish, it is very much a personal thing (I am a little extreme in my views and methods so it is hard for me to be objective) - I would simply suggest trying different prepping and finishing techniques on spare bits of wood until you reach a degree of smoothness that you are happy with and feel that you can maintain throughout the course of the build.

The important thing is to feel happy with what you have done and keep it fun and not a chore.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

karl1113
#3 Posted : 22 June 2010 15:13:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

i'll concur with cpt. stedders, prepping is the most important job and getting the consistency of the paint right,makes hella' difference.good job though. well done.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#4 Posted : 22 June 2010 21:47:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It looks good to me we have to remember the photo shows up things the eye does not see!. Its great that you are adding extra detail it really makes the cannon come to life. my two constructive comments would be.

1. try thinning the paint and apply several times. seldom is paint the correct consistency in the tin.

2. the size of the eyes and the chain is slightly over scale making the overall appearance a little cluttered.

doing exactly what you have done with thinned paint and smaller scale eyes and chain will turn your work of art into a masterpiece and give that stedders chap a run for his money!! shhh keep that to your self!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain