Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Water Slide Decals, the sticker alternative Options
Simon Pilbeam
#1 Posted : 21 August 2013 11:38:19

Groups: Registered

Gday fellows,

i have been busy building my MP4 /23 , 2 X RB7s and just finished the F2004 Ferrari.

What i have discovered through these various collections is that some of the sticker placements are less forgiving than the decals. i have since converted some of my stickers to decals and am very happy with the finish not to mention the forgiving nature of accurate placements with water slide decals

i managed to also get the Marlboro font and create some stickers for the Ferrari build.

its also good if you happen damage or misplace the sticker decal you can just reprint it.

decal sheets for inkjets printers are about 2 bucks each off ebay ,maybe less, then 12 bucks for clear lacquer to fasten the ink to the decal paper. cut, soak then place, easy.

decal sheets come in clear or white backing.

i am over the moon i can create and back up my decals now...bloody ripper!!!

enjoy,
S.
rowdy85
#2 Posted : 22 August 2013 05:36:30

Groups:

Nice work Mate, your builds are coming along well. Do your printed stickers come out as well as the original ones?
Simon Pilbeam
#3 Posted : 22 August 2013 11:50:24

thanks mate,

i would say they are comparable quality to the manufactured ones. only difference between mine is my decals are a tad thicker and they arent pre-cut. you can buy thinner paper but yeah i am just starting out.

some scalpel skills could make them look pretty much spot on but right now i am still cutting my teeth on making them as a newbie.

my decal images are sourced from google images and i grab the highest res possible then just use word or photoshop to edit. its easier than it sounds if thats possible. only real th8ing to get sot on is the layers or quality of spray lacquer. too little layers and you can get a reflected orange peel look on the decal finish, too much layers and the decal looks too thick. this has a clouding effect around the edges of the decal. however the secret is to reduce the clear background area as much as possible.

sorry mate, i was planning on a 1 lined answer.

S
rowdy85
#4 Posted : 23 August 2013 02:40:38

Groups:

ok cool. It would be good to see pics of the finished product, if u get the chance
dudsy 13
#5 Posted : 25 August 2013 03:08:27

Your builds look killer simon. What issue are you up to with the red bull?
Warthog
#6 Posted : 25 August 2013 10:05:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

If anyone wants some High Quality RB Logo scans PM me with your email address and i'll send them.. You will need to print them on decal paper like Simon say's then coat them with a decal solution sealer.. You may also need to resize them etc but they are from a 1:10th RC Touring car..

Spencer
Melkerri
#7 Posted : 26 August 2013 01:18:32

Hey Warthog,

Do you have the decal's/scan's for the Mark Webber helmet? My pet parrot managed to get a hold of them and ripped a big chunk out of the larger one's. I'm trying to fix with paint but it's not really working. Let me know when you get the chance.
Cheer's

Regard's,
Mel
rowdy85
#8 Posted : 26 August 2013 04:54:10

Groups:

Hey Mel,

I scanned my Webber helmet stickers before I cut them all up, I'd be happy to email it to u. I'm unsure if they will print out the same size though.

Richard
Warthog
#9 Posted : 26 August 2013 12:12:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Melkerri wrote:
Hey Warthog,

Do you have the decal's/scan's for the Mark Webber helmet? My pet parrot managed to get a hold of them and ripped a big chunk out of the larger one's. I'm trying to fix with paint but it's not really working. Let me know when you get the chance.
Cheer's

Regard's,
Mel

Unfortunately not Mel but see Richards Post below
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 26 August 2013 18:38:24

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Melkerri wrote:
Hey Warthog,

Cheer's

Regard's,
Mel

Sorry Mel,Crying

Only good thing is, that I can see a dead parrot sketch coming out of this. Oh Oh, don`t tell snap or it will be another disaster scene.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Sure you will resolve your problem with help from the guys on this site.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Simon Pilbeam
#11 Posted : 27 August 2013 13:10:28

i am keen to help out fellow member where i can. i wont steal business from Deag/Bissett though.

big thanks to them for bringing this fantastic car to our shores.

@Dudsy, what you see on my wall is up to issue 56. my cousin tells me (he is from/in germany)that 56 until 80 is mainly engine parts and ancillaries its not until around 80s you get the external body shells etc.

i shall have up to issue 75 very soon..twice.

i am also now working with the graphic designer at work to help me make some proper decal sheets with liveries from RB6 to current RB9. i am stripping backgrounds and re-scaling graphics. however am keeping it simple enough so any of us can do it.

i am a tight arse so i will print very sparingly on my decal paper. hate to waste. so once we get a nice collection of logos/graphics i am going to print off 3 sheets and some for my ferrari 2004.

i will never sell any of these but am willing to assist intellectually to those who are keen (ie email raw sheet data for printing). pics will come, its just that this time of year is real busy for me.

S
Melkerri
#12 Posted : 28 August 2013 05:48:05

Hi again to all RB7 builder's,

To Rowdy85-Richard, if you could email me the helmet decal scan's you have, id really really appreciate it. ThumpUp I'll get some decal paper and play around with the sizing to what I need. If anybody else has any scans that you think might also be helpful please don't hesitate to PM me or post it here. Anyway thanks again Rowdy85-Richard for offering to help me out I'm immensely grateful and also thanks everyone else for your idea's, comment's etc!BigGrin
Woot

Regard's, Mel
RB7 rox!!!
rowdy85
#13 Posted : 28 August 2013 15:13:26

Groups:

You have mail Mel! happy to do it mate :-)
Warthog
#14 Posted : 28 August 2013 19:23:24

Mel

You might want to remove your email from public display otherwise you might see a large influx of junkmail coming your way!

Spencer
Melkerri
#15 Posted : 29 August 2013 01:41:32

Hi forum readers,

Thanks Warthog I heeded your comment and edited that out of my last post:)

And a HUGE thanks to Richard/Rowdy85 for sending me his scan of the helmet decals. Im very grateful as I thought I was going to end up with a helmet that has already been in a bad car accident.
Happy building everyone.

Ciao for now!!

Mel
Simon Pilbeam
#16 Posted : 01 September 2013 10:43:34

Hey folks,

so far time permitting, is the draft sheet based off our cars, the RB7.

i have a psd version for those photoshop people and a jpeg example as shown here.

i have slapped this sheet together and not scaled the decals, although the psd images are very hi res so they can be scaled if you wish.

i am still working on the road safety logo as was having issues with the FIA logo.there are smaller decals missing but not relative at this stage.

finding some logos where actually harder than i though but u get that.

enjoy guys, feel free to download the sheet.

if you want the psd version just PM me.

RB6, RB8 and RB9 to come.

Warthog
#17 Posted : 01 September 2013 15:31:49

Fantastic work Simon and PM sent BigGrin
Simon Pilbeam
#18 Posted : 02 September 2013 06:45:11

hello all,

cheers, happy to help warthog.

note to members that the psd has png files within so all the backgrounds have been removed and is transparent, so keep that in mind.

also as pointed out by my graphics guy, some logos are white or have white content so those ones may need to be printed on white decal paper and trimmed accordingly.this is because as strange as it sounds, white inkjet ink is not openly avaialable.

i did my ferrari marlboro decal with white decal paper and black ink out line then used a scalpel to cut it out.wasted 3 decals getting it right.

cheers.
S.
Simon Pilbeam
#19 Posted : 05 September 2013 16:10:41

Hey all,

i have now made 2 sets of stripes. one for the rb6 up to rb8 and the other set for the rb9.

you will notice that in the rb9 they have given the car a violet / purple colour strip to replace the old powder blue.

these are quite large also so they can be scaled for up to maybe 1:3 scale.

as mentioned i can send those interested a copy, just pm me.

shown is a jpeg example and is around 25% of the full sized image.

enjoy people.

S.