Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Dennis' D51 build Options
Dennis
#1 Posted : 22 August 2013 11:37:48

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,
Somewhat a little late I have just started a D51 subscription. My interest in model steam and a friend noticing the D51 offer when viewing CB750 build had me signing up.
So far I only have parts 01 - 04.
So most of you will have long moved on. I am perhaps building the kit slightly different since were possible I will solder. The extensive use of brass makes this method quite easy and there is always something more substantial about soldering compared to epoxy or superglue. Some parts will still be fixed using slow epoxy these being the cast alloy to other parts.
My interest in steam models is mainly 'O' gauge brass which are also in the main soldered together.
I hope my first build will be of interest.
regards
Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
D51 parts 01 a.jpg
D51 parts 01 b.jpg
D51 parts 01 c.jpg
D51 parts 01 d.jpg
D51 parts 01 f.jpg
D51 parts 01 wheel set.jpg
Tomick
#2 Posted : 22 August 2013 11:51:48

Groups:

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing your progress. Cool

Be mindful that some of the components are Zamac, which will need a good quality acid flux.
Dennis
#3 Posted : 22 August 2013 12:04:52

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tomick,
Are you indicating that some parts that appear to be brass are not? Or are you referring to the cast alloy parts such as the boiler joining rings? I will still use epoxy on the alloy parts.
regards
Dennis
Tomick
#4 Posted : 22 August 2013 12:23:16

Groups:

The majority of what you see as brass is mainly brass and some of it for manufacture reasons is brass plated.
Such as the backhead, is plain diecast metal as per the wheels.
Dennis
#5 Posted : 08 September 2013 12:30:11

Hi Everyone,
Just received and built parts 02 (05 - 08). As per first entry still soldering most parts. The spark arrestor assembly was excellent being all brass even the gauze parts were already soldered each end no doubt to stop fraying. All these soldered well however I had to be careful and have the blast pipe in place. Although this was initially screwed I soldered this as well.
The front deck was mainly brass and soldered well. The two edges were a little difficult to hold and solder but they are in place. I found the hatch upper surface was slightly too wide at the rear edge but slight filing solved this.
The release lever bar although looking like brass was alloy and probably anodised to look like brass. The bar and the associated parts were fixed in place using slow epoxy and finally the release bar was fitted in place below the front deck as per the instructions.
I am hoping to catch up set wise with the early subscribers if that is possible.
regards
Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
D51 parts 02 a.jpg
D51 parts 02 c.jpg
D51 parts 02 d.jpg
D51 parts 02 b.jpg
MWG
#6 Posted : 08 September 2013 14:45:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dennis a big warm welcome to the model space forumBigGrin I am sure you will enjoy this build Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Dennis
#7 Posted : 08 September 2013 16:12:42

Hi Mike,
Thank you.
One of my interests is Steam trains hence the attraction of this build. Because I will be soldering where possible I decided to contribute to the forum by running my own build diary.
At this time I am hoping to be able to purchase the extra sets to catch up with the early subscribers.
regards
Dennis
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 08 September 2013 19:23:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dennis
Welcome to the forum and i look forward to your diary
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Dennis
#9 Posted : 08 September 2013 19:29:43

Hi Andy,
Thank you.I am enjoying this build. Up to now mainly brass plus most parts fit perfectly unlike some O gauge kits which tend to more like an aid to scratch building.
regards
Dennis
Warthog
#10 Posted : 08 September 2013 19:36:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Dennis and welcome!

Nice to see another build on this beautiful model and nice to see some of your soldering methods too... I'm sure there will be plenty of interest to those that might want to do this themselves and any tips like heat settings and types of flux/solder your using will be greatly appreciated by many... Early days I know but there is a tools and tips section that you could there?

Once again a very nice start and I look forward to more

Spencer
Dennis
#11 Posted : 08 September 2013 19:40:24

Hi Spencer,
Thank you. Yes I would be happy to share details on soldering. There is something satisfying about the technique. I will check our the other section as you suggest.
regards
Dennis
Warthog
#12 Posted : 08 September 2013 20:11:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis wrote:
Hi Spencer,
Thank you. Yes I would be happy to share details on soldering. There is something satisfying about the technique. I will check our the other section as you suggest.
regards
Dennis

Great Dennis!... please don't let it pull you away from your Build though!

Spence
Dennis
#13 Posted : 08 September 2013 20:17:14

Hi Spence,
Posted in 'Other Modelling Forums', 'Model Making Know How'. See what you think?
regards
Dennis
Warthog
#14 Posted : 08 September 2013 20:23:39

Dennis wrote:
Hi Spence,
Posted, see what you think?
regards
Dennis

Perfect Dennis BigGrin
Tomick
#15 Posted : 08 September 2013 21:30:29

Groups:

Dennis wrote:
Hi Spence,
Posted, see what you think?
regards
Dennis

A great contribution Dennis and well deserved first medals Cool
Dennis
#16 Posted : 09 September 2013 08:26:33

Thank you.
Dennis
#17 Posted : 19 September 2013 09:57:26

SCREW INFORMATION
I have been looking for a supplier of 2mm hexagon headed bolts to use instead of the cross head screws where they are in an obvious place on the model.
I have finally come across ModellingTimbers who sell detail parts for boats. The sell a 2mm brass hexagon headed screw, it has a 3mm across the flats head, which is similar to the diameter of the black cross head screws. These are only available in 10mm lengths and would need shortening. This would best be done by screwing a die nut on the screw first before using a hacksaw etc to cut off the excess. Then a quick cleanup of the sawn end with a file before removing the dienut will ensure no problems occur when screwed into place. The heads are slightly deep but should be fine in use and being hexagon headed will add to the authentic look.
They are slightly expensive but compared to the total build cost?
regards
Dennis
court orchard
#18 Posted : 19 September 2013 10:43:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent find DennisThumpUp
I agree Brass Bolts will be a great improvement. Just ordered some, I think he might be out of stock nowBlushing
But he said he will be getting more in.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Dennis
#19 Posted : 19 September 2013 10:49:29

Hi Andy,
I had the same result when ordering 50 but he restocked quickly. The heads are slightly deep but on a 1:24 will be fine.
regards
Dennis
court orchard
#20 Posted : 19 September 2013 10:59:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great minds think alike, I ordered 50 tooLOL

Looks a very useful site, I've added a direct link, lots of useful Brass etc. and he's an East Yorkshire Lad like mi sen.

http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/1.html
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,