Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<891011>
Dennis' D51 build Options
Dennis
#181 Posted : 26 December 2014 14:14:35

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Andy/Alan,
Thank you both. Good to have your support. I decided it may help to share the process.
Regards
Dennis
birdaj2
#182 Posted : 26 December 2014 19:59:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis

Lovely paint finish and very interesting update on how you got to that stage so many thanks for that.

I have just received my next set of parts which adds the remaining 2 wheel sets to the engine and the rods to couple it all together.

Now that Christmas is just about out of the way cannot wait for tomorrow to make a start.

I will give Deagostini 100% on this kit it's so well produced and the packing is an art in itself. Must admit with limited time on my hands this is one build I can get on with each month.

Thanks for your diary as it's giving me great enjoyment to see what I still gave to come.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dennis
#183 Posted : 26 December 2014 21:32:09

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tony,
Many thanks. I whole heartedly agree with regard to the quality of the parts, the fit and the packaging. All first class.I thought it would be helpful to show the various stages in the painting. Certainly from the comments this has been worthwhile.
I look forward to parts set 21 after which I can think about spraying the tender once fitted.
Regards
Dennis
Dennis
#184 Posted : 01 January 2015 11:57:53

Parts set 20 - tender steps etc plus brake cylinder
Find below pictures, firstly of the end of the tender with steps and brackets plus release lever parts. All parts were soldered in place on the brass body. The steps (brass wire) were such a perfect fit they were lose. Therefore to aid the fitting process the wire ends of each step was bent out ever so slightly. The steps were thus a tight fit now which helped keep them in place whilst soldering. The corner steps (rear and side) were screwed in place adding a small amount of superglue to the face area first. The brake cylinder parts were also glued together and the assembly screwed in place.
regards Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
Parts 20 tender outer end.jpg
Parts 20 brake cylinder.jpg
Gandale
#185 Posted : 01 January 2015 12:11:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Dennis... Enjoying following your build.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Dennis
#186 Posted : 01 January 2015 12:33:06

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your comments. Judging by the tender this is going to be a very large model.
cheers, Dennis
Dennis
#187 Posted : 15 January 2015 13:50:03

D51 Parts Set 21
Although my intention was to paint the tender (which I will do) there was a slight obstacle which I had failed to spot. The two handrails that feature on the front left and right corners are not included until the last part set 25. I checked the official build and yes they were included however the images also included a diagram with measurements. I get the impression the handrails will be supplied as pieces of wire/rod which you bend to suit the diagram. Therefore using the measurements and pieces of 1.5mm wire (just fitted in holes) I made up two handrails and soldered them in place. Parts set 21 includes the partition wall and water inlet/lid. Firstly the water inlet parts were soldered onto the partition wall. The grab rail was bent in slightly to ensure it was a compact fit that did not protrude over the edge of the partition wall. The various parts both these just mentioned and the upper tender plate were screwed in place. Then they were soldered (all round) and the screws removed followed by soldering up of the screw holes. At the front of the upper tender plate two recesses were noted left and right. Although these are covered with the coal moulding (later set) I decided to solder plates over these. Having these sealed in place means cleaning is easier since access to the tender body space is not possible. I took the opportunity to solder the edges of the front tender wall B to the inside of the tender on the verticals while finishing the tender top plates. I have not included the base parts included with set 21 since these are simply screw together like flat pack goods. Once I spray the tender I will include another posting to cover that aspect.
regards
Dennis
Set 21 a.jpg
Set 21 b.jpg
Set 21 c.jpg
Set 21 d.jpg
Set 21 e.jpg
Set 21 f.jpg
Dennis
#188 Posted : 19 January 2015 12:59:51

Parts 21 - Tender - Paintwork
I applied the same process to the finished tender as I did to the tender bogie frames etc. Below you will see the various stages, etch primer, primer filler and top coat. The size of the tender really needed a small spray gun however all those 'nooks and crannies' needed an airbrush to get into them. The 'nooks and crannies' always need priority when spraying. Spraying is directional so if you don't aim into that corner etc then poor coverage and lighter areas can result. This is particularly true with the chassis detail and the operational end of the tender. Airbrushes need thinner paint and if your not careful runs can easily result so take your time and build up the colour on the large areas. I used an air pressure of 20/25 psi. Although I spray outdoors in this cold weather some heat via a heat gun, used very carefully not to get the model and the paint to hot just some warmth to offset the cold which is part of the winter at present. Finally once the paint had dried the bogies were been added. The tender will now be put away until the coal moulding arrives. Whilst I don't intend to use the moulding as it is it will provide and excellent platform for the coal pieces and allow a mound to be created so much easier.
regards Dennis
Parts 21 a1.jpg
Parts 21 a2.jpg
Parts 21 a3.jpg
Parts 21 a4.jpg
Parts 21 a5.jpg
Parts 21 a6.jpg
Parts 21 b1.jpg
Parts 21 b2.jpg
Parts 21 b3.jpg
Parts 21 b4.jpg
Parts 21 b5.jpg
Parts 21 c1.jpg
Parts 21 c2.jpg
Parts 21 c3.jpg
Parts 21 c4.jpg
Parts 21 c5.jpg
Parts 21 d1.jpg
davetwin
#189 Posted : 19 January 2015 13:05:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

There certainly is a lot of books and crannies to get into on that, looks like you've done a splendid job on it though.

Great work, looking forward to see more
stevie_o
#190 Posted : 19 January 2015 13:08:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis
#191 Posted : 19 January 2015 13:10:00

Hi Dave/Steve,
Thank you. I thought having seen the increase in viewers when I showed the spraying stages on the bogies then a similar approach with the tender would help.
regards
Dennis
arpurchase
#192 Posted : 19 January 2015 18:23:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks the biz DennisCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Dennis
#193 Posted : 19 January 2015 19:26:47

Hi Andy,
Thank you. It's good to get painting makes me feel as though the end is in sight.
Regards
Dennis
Nemesis
#194 Posted : 19 January 2015 21:45:49

Very nice paint finish. Are you weathering as well?
Gandale
#195 Posted : 20 January 2015 00:04:38

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Dennis, she's looking great....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Dennis
#196 Posted : 20 January 2015 08:54:39

Dear Nemesis,
Thank you. Will simply be an ex works finish.
Regards
Dennis

Dear Alan,
Thank you. I very much appreciate your thoughts.
Regards
Dennis
Dennis
#197 Posted : 20 February 2015 09:34:32

D51 - Parts set 22

This set of parts continued with the completion of the flat pack boards/loco base unit. The fitting of the switchgear, speakers and battery box. At present the loco assembly is on hold awaiting the final parts which will not arrive until the final sets. This obviously means the loco assembly/painting is currently on stop.
regards
Dennis
Parts set 22 f.jpg
Parts set 22 b.jpg
Parts set 22 a.jpg
Parts set 22 e.jpg
Parts set 22 c.jpg
Parts set 22 d.jpg
jase
#198 Posted : 20 February 2015 13:39:21

Great progress feels like we are on the final stright now Cool

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
darbyvet
#199 Posted : 20 February 2015 14:58:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Man that is a smooth paint job.Cant wait to see the finished train.

Carl
Dennis
#200 Posted : 20 February 2015 19:14:23

Hi Jase,
Thank you. Yes the home straight is almost in sight.
Cheers
Dennis

Hi Carl,
Thank you. Yes I was looking forward to the paintwork. At least the tender is done just awaiting the final parts of the loco now and I can get the airbrush out again.
Regards
Dennis