Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages <1234>»
Dennis' D51 build Options
Dennis
#21 Posted : 19 September 2013 14:38:04

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

2mm BRASS SCREWS
In case anyone wishes to see what these screws are like. Find image attached.
regards
Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
M2 brass hexagon screws.jpg
Tomick
#22 Posted : 19 September 2013 15:00:20

Groups:

Hi Dennis,

This site has a huge aray of scale fasteners. Though in the USA, I have dealt with them for many years and delivery is speedy

http://www.scalehardware.com/
Dennis
#23 Posted : 19 September 2013 15:11:07

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Tomick,

Yes I am familiar with the US based company. However the situation regarding UK import duty on values over £15 means that low priced goods if logged attract unreasonable fees that make importation unattractive.
However I priced the US fasteners which worked out at 26 pence each plus post where'as the UK company is 30 pence each plus lower postage.

Dennis
court orchard
#24 Posted : 19 September 2013 21:49:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nothing much seems to escape the beady eye of HMRC these days. I got clobbered on a 20 quid order from the US recently. It's not the £4 VAT I mind so much, but the outrageous £8 Post Office Handling Charge.Cursing
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Dennis
#25 Posted : 30 September 2013 16:34:13

Parts 03 (09/10/11/12)
The left and right brass inspection lids have been soldered in place, the recess at the rear proving ideal. Following fitting the lids all 4 brass steps were also soldered in place. A little difficult aligning them due to heat whilst soldering (ouch!). In the end I used miniature long nosed pliers to hold each step at the correct angle whilst reheating the solder with the 40W iron.
The two brass side steps were held in place using the supplied screws and then soldered underneath. The screws could them be removed. I intend to solder 1/16 brass rivets in the screw holes which I feel will look more authentic. Finally the air hose was attached to the alloy release lever bar as described in the instructions using epoxy adhesive.
The main underframe was assembled as per the instructions. I have elected to use the M2 brass hexagon screws (see previous post) instead of the crosshead screws were they will be seen once the model is finished.
I found it easier to fix the four long rivets in each arm first and then offer the arm upto the mainframe carefully aligning the four rivets in the frame holes before the adhesive set.
regards
Dennis
D51 parts 03 a.jpg
D51 parts 03 b.jpg
D51 parts 03 c.jpg
Tomick
#26 Posted : 30 September 2013 17:45:34

Groups:

The hex screws look the part Dennis ThumpUp
Dennis
#27 Posted : 30 September 2013 18:46:27

Hi Tomick,

Thank you. I expect they will blend in quite nice once painted.

regards

Dennis
Dennis
#28 Posted : 01 October 2013 18:00:34

D51 - parts 04 - covers
I decided it would be best to list this seperately from the 04 parts (13/14/15/16) full detail.
Having viewed the STEP BY STEP I intended to solder the Cylinder side plates left and right in place on the front and rear cylinder plates.
However the front and rear cylinder covers plus the front steam chest covers and the piston valve tail guides were alloy.
Being alloy I would be using epoxy adhesive to fix them in place. Soldering of the cylinder side plates could result in the epoxy loosening because of the heat applied.
I noticed that the nose sections of the alloy covers protruded some way inside the cylinder plates.
I measured these 'noses' and found they were 9.9mm and 7.9mm in diameter.The front cover noses were just less than 3mm in length and the other covers etc had 4mm noses.
It was a simple process to thread these noses. I already had M10 x 1.25 and M8 x 1.25 split dies. All the noses were threaded.
I then found some 13mm brass hexagon bar and made up some 3mm and 4mm long nuts for the M8 and M10 threaded noses.
Now the covers and the front steam chest covers plus the piston valve tail guides could be fixed in place using a nut on the rear (which will be hidden inside the cylinders). I may possibly Loctite these nuts in place although once tightened they should be fine.
Interestingly while degreasing all the parts following the threading etc I noticed that the 'brass' finish came off. Therefore those of you that are leaving the model in the 'brass' state need to ensure these parts are not cleaned especially in solvents.
The image shows all the covers etc after threading and one complete with the brass nut.
D51 Covers.jpg
arpurchase
#29 Posted : 01 October 2013 18:29:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dennis
A proper enginears solutionThumpUp
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Dennis
#30 Posted : 01 October 2013 20:07:49

Hi Andy,

Thank you.

Additional image attached. Tried to attach it to previous post but failed.

regards

Dennis
D51 Covers in place.jpg
Dennis
#31 Posted : 02 October 2013 15:29:11

D51 - Parts 04 completed
Following on from the previous post re modified covers etc I first soldered the drainage pipes, inspection covers and hole covers in place on each cylinder side plate. I have purposely left fitting the air valve wheels until after painting rather than mask them off. I then fitted the cylinder side plates left and right.
These were retained in place using two screws at the top, two across the middle and the two underneath on the bottom. These screws held the plates while the front and rear edges where soldered in place. The screws were then removed and the screw holes soldered up. Excess solder was then sanded away using a small file and emery boards.
Finally the piston rod / housing were fixed in place using epoxy.
regards
Dennis
D51 Covers completed.jpg
arpurchase
#32 Posted : 02 October 2013 15:37:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dennis
Nice work,iv just had the e-mail saying part 6 is on its way
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#33 Posted : 03 October 2013 18:42:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Dennis, very nice work BigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Dennis
#34 Posted : 03 October 2013 19:16:42

Hi Mike,

Thank you. I am enjoying the build.

regards

Dennis
Dennis
#35 Posted : 04 October 2013 11:27:27

D51 - parts - 05
Little to report in the assembly of parts 17/18/19/20.
The instructions have been followed.
I have continue to use the hexagon screws such as on the motion frames where I expect they will be seen when completed. Fitting the rivets is quite taxing since I have opted to glue each one in place. The rivets appear to be alloy and since both they and the frames are prepainted/coated then glueing painted parts to painted parts may be fraught long term. Therefore glueing each rivet separately simply ensured that there was glue under each rivet head. I used slow epoxy for this. Once all the rivets are in place and before the epoxy set I used cotton buds and suitable thinners outdoors to clean up excess epoxy from the area around the rivet heads. This worked fine.
I realise there have been many posts re painting or otherwise. I have elected to paint/airbrush mine, driven to some degree by the excellent DeAgostini painted sample. However some forward thinking will be required when painting since some parts are not as accessible once assembled. An example will be the wheels and motion gear which I will leave off until the main chassis is completed/painted.
regards
Dennis
D51 parts 05a.jpg
D51 parts 05b.jpg
arpurchase
#36 Posted : 04 October 2013 11:34:00

BigGrin Hi Dennis
The rivets certainly are a pain to fit but look great in situ the way i did them was to fit them all then dab glue on the back, your thoughts on the painting is more or less the conclusion i reached too. Looking good
regards
AndyCool

Dennis
#37 Posted : 04 October 2013 11:36:47

Hi Andy,

Yes I agree the rivets really do help the authentic appearance. I am sure a coat of paint as and when will help retain them.

regards

Dennis
willie
#38 Posted : 04 October 2013 15:06:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

worried about the rivets been glued in I wouldn't I glued a set the wrong way round and what a job I had getting them back out, super glue release agent on for half an hour and still had a job pressing them out with a pliers
arpurchase
#39 Posted : 04 October 2013 15:15:07

BigGrin Hi Willie
I can think of a few times i have fitted things wrongly and the remedial action needed to put it right and sorry to hear about your misshap. A lesson we all at some point have to endure and learn from
regards
AndyCool

Dennis
#40 Posted : 04 October 2013 15:17:57

Hi Willie,
Perhaps I need to look again at superglues.
Thank you for the comment.
cheers
Dennis