Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<678910>»
Dennis' D51 build Options
Dennis
#141 Posted : 03 July 2014 20:14:37

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Andy,
That was quick.
Thank you. A bit a learning process as I go. Sometimes the build is held back at times until I can work out the next part.
The brass parts continue to help but at times as I have said they are not so easy to hold and solder.
cheers
Dennis
Dennis
#142 Posted : 18 July 2014 19:12:43

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

D51 Parts set 15 soldering deflector frames
I have placed a posting under the Soldering 'Model Making Know-How' regarding attaching the frames to the inside and outside of the deflector.
regards Dennis
Dennis
#143 Posted : 12 August 2014 08:54:44

D51 - Parts set 15.
Hi Everybody,
A little later than usual with the main posting on parts 15. The cab has been easy progress for me since the majority of the parts up to this set have been brass. Unfortunately two of the three cab roof supports were Zamac. These I glued in place which seemed fine. The cab roof end I decided not to follow the instructions but simply soldered it to the end of the cab roof. It aligns well and certainly was simpler for me to attach. The cab roof components were all soldered in place. The locating holes were tinned first which aided attachment.The roof brackets proved quite fiddly but I managed after a few attempts. The roof slides fitted in place perfectly another example of the excellent quality of the parts and fit. I have decided to leave the gutter pipes off for now since they will make handling/storage a little more difficult when installed. The window frames and seat back rests were soldered in place on the cab body.
The cab floor end beams were also soldered in place. Initially holding them with stainless screws. I also include two of the deflector pictures also used in my 'Model Making Know How' posting.
regards
Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
D51 Parts 15 cab a.jpg
D51 Parts 15 cab b.jpg
D51 Parts 15 cab d.jpg
D51 Parts 15 cab e.jpg
D51 Parts 15 cab f.jpg
D51 parts set 15 deflecter outside.jpg
D51 parts set 15 deflecter inside.jpg
Warthog
#144 Posted : 12 August 2014 09:51:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Beautiful soldering work Dennis Drool going to look stunning once complete...

Spencer
Dennis
#145 Posted : 12 August 2014 10:02:33

Hi Spencer,
Thank you. Yes I am looking forward to the painting. The soldering although more involved will produce a cleaner appearance.
Regards
Dennis
birdaj2
#146 Posted : 12 August 2014 10:09:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis

Your a real master with a soldering iron. That is some very fine and clean work you are doing.

Just waiting on my pack 3 now which has been sent so I can then make a start.

It's not going to be long now before you can start on the painting.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dennis
#147 Posted : 12 August 2014 11:18:19

Hi Tony,
Thank you. The brass parts of which are in the majority are ideal for soldering. I do use various soldering irons but mainly an 80 watt. However I do find the miniature butane burner so useful. You can always see more detail in the Modelling Know How section. I was encouraged to put together postings on soldering at an early stage. On there you will even see pictures of the burner in action.
Yes hopefully I can start painting soon.
Regards
Dennis
jase
#148 Posted : 12 August 2014 13:54:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

very nicly done and i think soldering is probably giving more strenght its a bit flimbsey the cab
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dennis
#149 Posted : 12 August 2014 15:36:31

Hi Jase,

Many thanks. It does certainly stiffen up once the various components are soldered in place.
Being devoid of screws will also aid the finished appearance.
I did plan to fit the front round windows to the cab but at the time it was as you say flimsy so I put that idea on a back burner.
Seeing yours looking so good painted has me looking forward to getting the airbrush out.
cheers
Dennis
jase
#150 Posted : 12 August 2014 19:41:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am still considering my options on the windows, finishing chassis first though
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dennis
#151 Posted : 12 August 2014 19:55:09

Hi Jase,
I suspect two small brass portholes would be needed for the windows? Now I have the first and very soon the second deflector I am planning other minor changes but they need some thought first.
cheers
Dennis

davetwin
#152 Posted : 12 August 2014 20:07:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work with the soldering Dennis, enjoyed reading your build
arpurchase
#153 Posted : 12 August 2014 20:45:15

BigGrin Hi Dennis
Very nice work as usual
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Dennis
#154 Posted : 12 August 2014 20:56:16

Thank you Andy.
At least the body is almost done!
Cheers
Dennis
Dennis
#155 Posted : 26 September 2014 20:01:07

Deflectors, cab body etc
Good weather means other hobbies take precedent but it's time to do a little catching up. Since I have opted to airbrush my model it appears that will have to wait until the final stages since parts are still to added.
However my next stage was to attach the cab body. As usual this has been soldered in place. As yet I have left the floor still to be attached.
Mark under 'Video Links' mentioned the two round windows above the cab/firebox. I have installed these. Gauging the size from various pictures. Also under the heading of mods I noticed in most pictures of the class the smoke deflectors are fitted with inner and outer handrails. Also in a large number of images the deflectors are to be seen with rectangular access holes at the rear. I notice the image used at the top of instruction sheet page 124 shows this clearly (D51 - 200?). Hence I have also applied the same mods as shown below.
At this stage I have assembled both bogies and the tender base. However again the bogies will require painting later.
ps one handrail knob detached to be replaced.
cheers, Dennis
Dennis attached the following image(s):
Deflector cab.jpg
Deflector left 2.jpg
Deflector left.jpg
Deflector rt.jpg
Deflector rt 3.jpg
arpurchase
#156 Posted : 26 September 2014 22:32:48

BigGrin Nicely done DennisCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#157 Posted : 27 September 2014 10:54:17

Dennis

Very nice update on your build.

I finished pack 4 near on 2 weeks back so now eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Rather enjoying this one as the part packs are just about right for the limited time I seem to have for modelling these days.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dennis
#158 Posted : 27 September 2014 19:35:43

Hi Andy/Tony,
Thank you. I felt the smoke deflectors in particular needed to be modified.
Funny thing is I am currently spraying two full size early CB750 petrol tanks although not candy ruby red as per the model but candy blue green which was the other alternative color, gold was only offered very late in the run.
Back to the D51. As the metal changes in particular the tender then I have been using some superglue. However although it sets it takes its time. As the brass allows then I will be back to solder.
Cheers, Dennis
DaDokta
#159 Posted : 28 September 2014 23:06:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Astonishing work, Dennis!

DaDokta
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Dennis
#160 Posted : 29 September 2014 17:51:10

Hi DaDokta,
Thank you. Soldering helps strength wise. As an example I soldered the rectangular frames on the deflectors first before cutting and filing the deflector away.
Regards
Dennis