Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<7891011>
Dennis' D51 build Options
mwb
#161 Posted : 29 September 2014 22:05:57

Groups: Registered

Hello Dennis,
Looking really good. I like how you did the two round windows and the framed cut out on the deflectors. Very nicely done.

Mark

Dennis
#162 Posted : 30 September 2014 09:20:27

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Mark,
Thank you. Prompted by your posting some time back. The cab initially was very flimsy but as it received support then including the windows was easier.
regards
Dennis
Dennis
#163 Posted : 13 October 2014 11:14:44

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

D51 Parts set 18 - Soldering
For those interested I have updated the 'Modelling Know How' section re soldering since the edging in particular in the latest set of parts continued to provide excellent opportunities.
regards Dennis
Dennis
#164 Posted : 17 October 2014 08:58:24

D51 Parts set 18
All the tender base parts were screwed in place as per the instructions. However with so many small cross head screws I am at present investigating ways of changing their appearance into rivets. Once painted they would look so much better. Next the edging was soldered to the two tender sides. See 'Modelling Know How' for further details. The sides were then screwed into place and the tender joints temporally screwed onto the sides together with the rear tender wall. Whilst the rear wall and joints were held in place by the screws the overlapping sections between the joints and the rear wall was soldered in place on the inside. Once soldered all the joint screws were removed. Having removed the screws, the holes were soldered up and the faces flatted. Finally the last piece of tender edging strip was soldered onto the rear section.
regards Dennis

Dennis attached the following image(s):
Parts 18 under.jpg
Parts 18 side.jpg
Parts 18 end.jpg
birdaj2
#165 Posted : 17 October 2014 15:58:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis

Another real good looking update.

Your getting closer to the end of this one and I bet you will have a top quality build.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dennis
#166 Posted : 17 October 2014 19:24:30

Hi Tony,
Thank you. Yes I am looking forward to completion. The size of the tender makes you rrealize how big the finished loco will be. This has been a quality build, part wise. Whilst I have used soldering were possible, for me it has made the build so much more challenging.
Cheers, Dennis
Gandale
#167 Posted : 18 October 2014 00:00:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Dennis, more lovely work with this one, am enjoying your build and your diary very much..... Nicely done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Dennis
#168 Posted : 18 October 2014 08:01:36

Hi Alan,
Thank you. An excellent kit requires special attention.
regards
Dennis
jase
#169 Posted : 18 October 2014 10:01:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking Good. Will be interested in your solution to mod the screws to rivets.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#170 Posted : 18 October 2014 12:52:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Dennis

This link to a page on model engine maker has a list of web sites with links that stock miniature nuts, bolts and the like.

Hope it may be of interest. I have not gone through them all but one or two have some parts that may help.

http://www.modelenginema...m/index.php?topic=628.0

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Dennis
#171 Posted : 18 October 2014 19:15:32

Hi Jase/Tony,
The solution was a simple one. Drop some superglue onto a surface (easily wiped afterwards).Then use a piece of wire, I used some 1mm brass wire. Dip into superglue. This will pick up a small drop. In turn drop this into the cross of the screw. A little tedious but it works. Only problem is process has to be repeated since superglue depending upon grade is somewhat low build. Obviously ensure you have finished with those screws. Once painted should look like rivets.
I have already tried the process and it works fine. Simple eh!
Cheers
Dennis
Dennis
#172 Posted : 18 October 2014 19:18:48

Hi Tony,
Thank you re links. I have already been using brass rivet headed screws plus some hexagon headed screws. Both have been fine. However there are so many screws in the tender base I decided to use the supplied ones. But I decided to convert their appearance.
Cheers
Dennis
Dennis
#173 Posted : 18 November 2014 19:12:08

Parts set 19
Firstly please find a picture showing the inside rear wall soldered joints from parts 18 which I did not show last time.
Parts set 19 continued to present ideal soldering opportunities being all brass. Whilst the steel 2mm cross head screws were used to hold parts together, once soldered the screws were removed and the screw holes soldered up and then cleaned up. The main soldering continued to be done using the miniature gas burner the screw holes were best done using the 80w iron. All the various valves and pipework was also soldered in place. With these it was easier to tin the pin part of the valve and the ends of the pipework. Then using the miniature burner and liquid flux the soldering was completed. I have completed the sides of the tender bogies but since these are simply glued using epoxy I will leave showing them until completed and painted. I continue to be impressed by the quality of the kit and the fit of parts.
Regards, Dennis
Parts 18.jpg
Parts 19 a.jpg
Parts 19 b.jpg
delboy271155
#174 Posted : 18 November 2014 19:46:29

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Dennis, BigGrin BigGrin

This is one stunning build, especially where the soldering is concerned.

WTG Cool Cool Cool

Can understand that in some cases, you have had to resort to superglue, but that if I`m not mistaken is due to the heat required and the metal not being capable of that means of fixing.

So if I may suggest, whilst building my brass airframe "STUKA", I`ve used "LOCTITE 496". It sets super quick and is specifically designed for use with brass and the like.

Keep up the good work on this one. Love Love

I didn`t think I`d get into trains, but this one is seriously giving me second thoughts.

Happy Building.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Dennis
#175 Posted : 19 November 2014 09:03:51

Hi Derek,
Thank you for your comments. I did buy some 496 some time back and have used it occasionally but I find it slow to set.Fortunately I can solder most of the time which I enjoy. As I say the quality of parts is excellent both finish and fit.Although I choose to solder being brass, some of the alloy parts are easily glued or screwed and providing the method is hidden or disguised thats fine. Thank you
jase
#176 Posted : 19 November 2014 14:06:40

Looks fab.

good solution for turning the screws into rivits. as you say a thick CA would work best
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dennis
#177 Posted : 19 November 2014 15:05:41

Hi Jase,
Thank you. Yes rivet/screw solution worked well. I look forward to being able to start the paintwork. I suspect the tender may be first in line.
Cheers, Dennis
Dennis
#178 Posted : 25 December 2014 14:13:41

Parts sets 19/20 Painting the bogie assemblies.
It is some time since I painted the main driving wheels and therefore the bogie assemblies provided the first real opportunity to do some painting/spraying. Firstly since my main hobby is restoring motorcycles then the paints/products I use stem from that hobby. However similar products will be available from the usual modellers outlets. Non magnetic metals such as Aluminium, Brass, Zinc, Stainless steel etc do not provide the ideal surface for paint to adhere to. The simple answer is to use an etch primer first, this keys itself onto the parent metal. Following this I used a primer and finally an almost matt black. In fact I mixed this from a matt black and gloss black. All the paints were applied by airbrush although its possible that a small spray gun maybe better on the large areas such as the tender which will soon be ready for spraying, after parts set 21 anyway.
All parts to be sprayed were degreased first followed by masking off the various parts of the axles/surfaces on the wheel sets. The wheel bearings were masked off using small discs of masking tape cut using a cork borer tool. Although masking of the bogie joints would be an obvious solution I decided to complete one side and two ends, then using just three stews I attached the final side. After spraying the side was easily removed and the wheel sets inserted. A drop of oil was added to each bearing even though these wheels are unlikely to ever turn! All the screw heads received a small drop of high build superglue which after painting resembled a rivet.
Enjoy the pictures. The tender steps etc will be added soon.
regards Dennis
Parts 20 1.jpg
Parts 20 2.jpg
Parts 20 3.jpg
Parts 20 4.jpg
Parts 20 5.jpg
Parts 20 6.jpg
Parts 20 7.jpg
Parts 20 7a.jpg
Parts 20 8.jpg
Parts 20 9.jpg
Parts 20 10.jpg
arpurchase
#179 Posted : 26 December 2014 09:47:31

BigGrin Nicely explained and done DennisCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#180 Posted : 26 December 2014 11:13:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely paint job Dennis, looking fab..... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan