Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages 123>»
Matelot one's build so far... Options
Matelot one
#1 Posted : 22 August 2013 17:33:22

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well I'm finally posting my version so far, which as you will see, is based alot on HMS Trincomalee, hope I do not upset too many of you out there!

I'm just about to start doing the cannons, Shame the gun carriages haven't got enough steps, and the arch (which is not a problem!)Looks like I will need to get some Carronades for the upperdeck as well.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

jase
#2 Posted : 22 August 2013 17:36:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some really nice detail in the cabins. looks fantastic ThumpUp
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#3 Posted : 22 August 2013 17:38:54

Groups:

Nice work Cool
Gandale
#4 Posted : 22 August 2013 23:08:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that I do like, love it Matelot, excellent work.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Hans
#5 Posted : 23 August 2013 11:37:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely work there Matelot, well done
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 23 August 2013 21:09:10

BigGrin Very nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Matelot one
#7 Posted : 19 September 2013 22:23:53

Well I've slowed down a bit due to work. This is my third version for the gun carriage, with the right number of steps. I am planning to put Carronades and 9 pounders on the Upperdeck, any ideas of the size in mm that I should be getting?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

stevie_o
#8 Posted : 19 September 2013 22:27:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Matelot one
#9 Posted : 19 September 2013 22:34:43

No, I went ahead before I had the parts and did it my way! I could of used the rear window part as it has cladding on anyway and is the same size.The table is scratched built and the chairs and desks are 1:48 scale dolls house furniture.

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Zanussi
#10 Posted : 30 September 2013 11:23:06

I love a kit bash, great stuff, but while we are on the subject: who did burn down the NAAFI at Trincomalee??

Kudos on fixing the gun mounts, suppose we should expect that detail from an Oily Leckie!

Impressive detail inside, is that a Brody Stove Forward?
Matelot one
#11 Posted : 16 April 2014 12:58:54

Not been doing much, but back to sea soon, and this will get the salt back into my blood! I still haven't got round to doing all the Cannons yet, but I will soon. Also started to coppering the Hull....slowly....

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

stevie_o
#12 Posted : 16 April 2014 13:06:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Matelot one
#13 Posted : 16 April 2014 13:09:42

No, shes been laid up on the Kitchen table!

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Matelot one
#14 Posted : 16 April 2014 19:02:23

Here is the Launch with my upgraded Anchors

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Matelot one
#15 Posted : 14 August 2014 16:41:45

I have been coppering my hull (very slowly). I tried different types of glue, from Expensive well-known branded super glue, Contact Adhesive , and some others types, but it wasn’t working right for me. So I decided to rip it all of and go for a copper painted hull instead!

The removed copper!

The painted Copper hull (Looks beter than the photo shows!)

Well, I've got some cheap Superglue from the 99p store, and Decided to have a second go, with better results this time, I should get it done before I join my more modern grey messenger of death in September!

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Gibbo
#16 Posted : 15 August 2014 02:18:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hope you get the coppering to stick, it made a huge difference on my Victory, the cabin furniture looks great, nice build.
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 15 August 2014 11:15:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Rob

Lovely build you have on the go there. Think the real copper will look excellant when complete.

You said you were having trouble getting the tiles to stick. Could I ask please did you wash them before applying? Asking as the ones supplied got the victory build appear to be coated in a film of oil and I guess that would stop the glue getting a good hold.

Look forward to your future posts.

Happy modelling

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#18 Posted : 15 August 2014 21:20:27

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You could also try doing what I did which is using rolls of 1/4" pressure sensitive foil tape. You use a pounce wheel and pizza cutter on the tape to get the pattern and then just stick it on. It's very effective, inexpensive and basically peel and stick. I'm not going to say it's easy or fast because I spent 30 hours doing it, but it's a lot easier and cheaper than buying plates. I also used a paper cutter to get the ends straight and a layout board to get my increments correct. I used a 1" plate spacing which is about the correct scale.

I used MASTER FOIL PLUS 1/4" x 36 yard rolls made by Venture Tape. You can find it on the internet. Hope this is helpful.

Matelot one
#19 Posted : 15 August 2014 22:58:52

I had been looking closely at your build JonCal, and that's why I was going for a second attempt. I'm off on deployment very soon, and have bags of tiles, so I will be doing it the old fashion way, But I think others will find your way, "the way ahead" for coppering the Hull!

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

johncal
#20 Posted : 16 August 2014 02:23:25

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK then. Go get yourself some green label Zap-A-Gap CA glue. That will hold your tiles and anything else you have no problem. It is simply the best CA there is. You can Also buy Zip Kicker accelerator but be careful using it. It sets the Ca up in about 5 seconds or less.

Good luck!