Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gaz Spit Options
Gaz
#1 Posted : 24 August 2013 12:06:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi AllBigGrin
Here is my diary of the Spitfire. I first subscribed to this last year and received the first 5 issues. On receiving the build instructions this week and looking at Mr T official build the instructions are the same as what was in the original magazine so I have put these together and will compare with the parts when I receive the first delivery any day now. The Spitfire has always been my favourite plane of all time and while I have made many plastic ones always wanted a really good wooden/metal one so all my Christmas's and birthdays have come at once when deag launched thisBigGrin.
This will be my first attempt at an aircraft on this scale so this will be a warts an all type diary. Any tips, advice both good and bad Blink from more experienced builders will be very welcome.
Week 1 and its parts. Instrument Panel, Propeller blades, Gears for prop. blades and aluminium plate.

Nothing much really to do with these parts just smooth any burrs on the metal bits and glue the gears to the prop blades. I used epoxy glue for this.

Week 2
We receive L/H fuselage frame and the first of the ribs. Tyre and wheel rims and a pot of wood glue.

I added the wheel rims to the tyre with super glue ensuring both side were central
I then glued the first rib to the fuselage frame ensuring it was all square.

Week 3
We receive the r/h fuselage frame and another rib along with more propeller parts and an aluminium plate.

First up I smoothed all wooden parts and metal parts to remove any burrs. I then took the rib and glued it to the l/h fuselage from week 2 and glued in place again ensuring all is square. I dry fitted the propeller blades to the parts received this week. I was surprised at how weighty it is. It sure is going to be a beast of a modelBigGrin

Week 4
We receive a rib, aluminium plate, rivet marker tool, propeller spinner.

I glued the rib to the previous fuselage again ensuring all is square and allowed to dry. Then I glued the r/h fuselage to the two frames leaving the end un-glued as instructed. You can omit this step and leave it till next month when we receive the final rib and complete this section. I then dry fitted the Spinner to the propeller and you can see from my photo how big this is 9 and half inchesDrool.

Thanks for looking any comments welcome.
Happy building.
GarethBigGrin
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Warthog
#2 Posted : 24 August 2013 21:55:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Look forward to seeing your build Gaz Cool

Spencer
jase
#3 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:31:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gaz good to see a build up and running I should be joining you quite soon BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gaz
#4 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:49:09

Hi Spencer. Look forward to it tooBigGrin .
Thanks.
Gareth
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Gaz
#5 Posted : 24 August 2013 22:52:22

Hi Jase
I look forward to seeing your build too.
Gareth
ripley822
#6 Posted : 27 August 2013 04:28:37

Looking at the size of the propeller, I think my better half is gonna have a few choice words to say to me about our new focal point once built LOL I'm still waiting for my first delivery, keep checking my post box like a kid at ChristmasBored. I'll be following your build Gaz, looking good so far.
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 27 August 2013 15:10:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Gareth
Il be looking into your build too with interest, by the way have you applied for the planning permissionLOL Blink LOL for the extentionLOL to house the finished modelDrool Love Drool
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gaz
#8 Posted : 27 August 2013 18:59:06

Thanks Ripley822. They be with you any day now. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Gareth
Gaz
#9 Posted : 27 August 2013 19:05:02

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Gareth
Il be looking into your build too with interest, by the way have you applied for the planning permissionLOL Blink LOL for the extentionLOL to house the finished modelDrool Love Drool
AndyCool

BigGrin Hi Andy.
Thanks for looking in. Beginning to think I need that extensionBigGrin BigGrin.
Regards.
Gareth
kwakermad
#10 Posted : 27 August 2013 19:49:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Gaz if I get divorced I am coming to stay at yours Flapper . I have been able to resist the temptation this time round, I was a bit peeved when the last run got cancelled Cursing , but after looking at your build I have now bitten the bullet.

Keep up the good work

Are the first five issues we got the last time round the same this time, if so I will get cracking as you have done?
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Gaz
#11 Posted : 27 August 2013 20:03:28

Hi BobBigGrin
Thanks for looking in. Like you I was gutted when it first got cancelled. Always wanted to do a big spitfire.
I don't know if issue 5 is the same as what we received last year. I not done that part yet because I don't think it a good idea to jump ahead or pre-judge future instalments with partworks. The first month is the same as issues 1-4 even the build instructions are the same as was printed in the magazine. If I was a betting man (which I'm not) then I assume the issue5 will be the same. Will just have to see. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your build.
Regards.
Gareth
tf64
#12 Posted : 18 April 2016 20:15:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gareth,
Just wondering how you are getting along with your Spitfire build or have you put it aside for a while, it would be nice to see some more pictures of build what I've seen shows great skills, (just a thought)

Regards
Trev,
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gaz
#13 Posted : 18 April 2016 21:35:24

Hi Trev.
Thanks for your interest in my build. Unfortunately due to some serious health issues I had to put modelling on hold for past 2-3 yearsAngry . Am only now in the past couple of months starting to get back into it againBigGrin . I have the victory to finish along with the Hood and Akagi and sots to start. I have been collecting all the issues for the Spitfire so I will get round to resuming it again sometime I'm sureBigGrin .

Gareth
tf64
#14 Posted : 18 April 2016 22:01:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for replying to my post.

I am so pleased you are progressing health wise,and maybe restart your builds again,I am really keen to see your Victory build,and I know a lot on the forum builders would be interested to see how you are getting on

Kind regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).