Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New modeler taking on SOTS S.A Options
portside
#1 Posted : 31 August 2013 15:35:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hey Chaps,

Started collecting via CNA from the first edition, got up to 14 and they "lost" my fileCursing so i decided to go the Jacklin route from issue 20, caught up with the collecting after back ordering up to issue 18, now we just hope and pray that all will be arriving soon.

Added a few pic's of my build so far, must be honest though, i never did the heating or steaming of the hull planks, Huh , was that a must do??

Keep sailing.
Regards
Duane

portside attached the following image(s):
IMG-20130818-00217.jpg
IMG-20130818-00218.jpg
IMG-20130818-00219.jpg
IMG-20130819-00221.jpg
IMG-20130820-00223.jpg
KobusBeukes
#2 Posted : 31 August 2013 16:10:58

Hi Duane

Welcome to the forum and good to see another SA build!BigGrin

I'm also new to this hooby and enjoying it!Cool I'm using steam to bend the planks, found that it keep the form better than if not steamed.

I've gone the Jacklin route from issue 5 and after some initial frustrations all is on track now and I'm happy!BigGrin

Enjoy the build!
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
Marcel
#3 Posted : 31 August 2013 18:10:57

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin

Ahoy Duane, its a pleasure to have you on the forum or on the shipbuild.
The SOTS is being planked with Bamboo, which is a strong wood which take strain well.

Bending wood consist of moist, heat and steam. You soak the planks in water for a few hours until its soft enough to bend by your hands. Take the plank to your former (a shape like figure) and bend it to the shape needed for the hull fitting. Pin it to the hull without glue and let it dry out before applying glue.

If you use heat, always damp the planks first with moisture to prevent the burning of the plank.

The natural bending is very time consuming. It uses a weight on one end to pull it to a round shape like a tree in the wind.

Read the Glue topics for upgrades on your glue.
Marcel
"Rather try and fail than had failed to try".

Sovereign of the Seas

Model Space forum: Marcel's build
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 31 August 2013 18:16:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Duane
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#5 Posted : 31 August 2013 18:28:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum. you will find plenty of help if you need it.

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#6 Posted : 31 August 2013 22:40:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Warm welcome to the forum Duane, hope you enjoy you time with us and look forward to seeing your build progressing.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
NMBROOK
#7 Posted : 01 September 2013 00:35:54

Groups:

Hi Duane
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your build.Any problems,don't be afraid to ask,we are all here to help each otherBigGrin
Kind Regards Nigel
Hans
#8 Posted : 02 September 2013 12:39:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the house of fun Duane. On this forum is all the help you need to make your model your pride and joy. Enjoy your build.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
portside
#9 Posted : 02 September 2013 17:21:41

Appreciate all the welcome notes BigGrin
cuandv
#10 Posted : 04 September 2013 10:16:14

Welcome Duane...

Marcel is quite correct.
What I have done in the past is wet the planks and then "dry fit" them onto the hull and leave them overnight.
They dry in the shape that need them ad then it makes it easier to glue on and pin..
The planking on the launch (as per your photos), wouldn't require wetting the planks because of the thickness of the strips.

Good luck, will look forward to checking out your build progress.
Cheers
Cuan
Current Build:
HMS SOTS
HMS Victory
HMS Surprise