Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Bob's Spitfire Options
kwakermad
#1 Posted : 04 September 2013 00:44:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Right straight off I have to give Gaz the blame for this, after the cancelled release last year I was a little miffed to say the least, but after seeing Gaz's build diary I decided that I really wanted to have a go at this one.

Any way for better or worse here is my attempt at a Spitfire and also my first attempt at a build diary.

As I was too lazy to bin the issues sent out last year I have used them to start this build. First issue there is not alot to do for now. I have attached the gears onto the props with my favourite 5 min epoxy and stood the on the ends to cure. I will give their polishing after I have BORROWED some Micromesh from work. Blushing

Next onto the frame, as usual in my chaotic workroom I had mislaid mu other square so I put my tub of Vaporub to use. Its not just useful for easing screws into the Mclaren.

Next, another frame to add only this time my other square has been found.

Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
jase
#2 Posted : 04 September 2013 00:49:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice to see another build diary of the Spit. and congrats on your first diary. can't wait to see your progress

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kwakermad
#3 Posted : 04 September 2013 00:58:21

Here you see I have decided to differ from the build instructions, I didnt like the idea of stressing the glue joints by squeezing in other formers so I have put all the frames onto one side then I glued the other side on after.

I was a bit dubious about using the free glue but it has a rather strong bond, more of that later Cursing , also it saved me going out and buying some seeing as I have lost my other pot.

Here is what I mean about the strength of the glue, despite careful alignment ptior to gluing the frame shifted after I had left it to set boy did I have a struggle to remove the frame without damaging anything.

Anyway after gluing the frame it was time to fit the second side, than goodness for these handy little clamps from Aldi.

Just to give you an idea of the size of this brute, best not let SWMBO so this till its finished LOL LOL LOL

Anyway thats it till the next delivery thanks for looking in, all feedback and criticisms appreciated
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Gaz
#4 Posted : 04 September 2013 01:01:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi BobBigGrin
Glad to see you've started your build and your first build diary. I been blamed for many things in my life but never for someone starting a modelLOL. Look forward to seeing your build progress it is am sure you'll agree going to be a fine model.
Regards.
Gareth
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
Tomick
#5 Posted : 04 September 2013 08:38:54

Groups:

Great start Bob and good to see another Spit build underway Cool
karl1113
#6 Posted : 04 September 2013 09:28:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice one,watching this build with great interest and nostalgia.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 04 September 2013 21:23:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin A very good startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tf64
#8 Posted : 04 September 2013 22:19:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bob,
See your well on your way to what will be a great build I have been waiting for this build so I will be starting my build very soon as I received 1 to 4 today.
Regards Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Gandale
#9 Posted : 04 September 2013 23:47:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Bob, very nice start to your build... Will be following your progress with interest even if I am not building this myself.... Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build...

Regards

Alan
kwakermad
#10 Posted : 05 September 2013 09:15:43

Thank you for all the encouraging comments, and I've got my first MEDAL woohoo
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#11 Posted : 09 September 2013 22:40:57

Well wasn't going to do this till it was ready to be fitted, but I have got to amuse myself till my first delivery of the new subscription.

First of all was to remove the burs and casting seams.

Then it was out with the micromesh, only a start at the moment as I dont want to get bored with it and not do it right. So the shiny spinner and props begin.

And here is a pic of a trial fit with a 500ml Coke bottle for scale. Oops beginning to realise I might struggle to find a suitable display area.LOL LOL LOL

As always feel free to share your observations, warts and all, I am always learning.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Tomick
#12 Posted : 09 September 2013 22:45:21

Groups:

Love the Coke bottle size comparison...she's a big-un Cool
kwakermad
#13 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:05:49

Oops must stop watching TV while typing Blushing
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Tomick
#14 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:14:56

Groups:

LOL LOL Thats the system swear word filter that thinks c oke is something else and automatically replaced it with coconuts LOL LOL
kwakermad
#15 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:27:42

LOL LOL LOL
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
SennaMentalMe
#16 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:35:33

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
LOL LOL Thats the system swear word filter that thinks c oke is something else and automatically replaced it with coconuts LOL LOL

In the same way that it fails to recognise the perfectly clean and acceptable word ... document ... erm, NO!! ... all I said was ... document ... aargh!! ... D.O.C.U.M.E.N.T ... there ... what is wrong with that??!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin
Warthog
#17 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:52:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Nice to see you'e started Bob Cool and those blades could keep the family cool next summer!! LOL

Will you be doing any xtra detailing to your Spitfire or just a straight build?

Spence
kwakermad
#18 Posted : 10 September 2013 07:55:28

Spence my skills are nowhere near to your status, but as the build progresses i will do some research and do some modest detailing. As this will be built on a month by month basis I will have plenty of time between things to do so hears hoping I will find bits that are within my scope.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
Dontshootme
#19 Posted : 10 September 2013 08:56:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Tomick wrote:

In the same way that it fails to recognise the perfectly clean and acceptable word ... docomeent ... erm, NO!! ... all I said was ... docomeent ... aargh!! ... D.O.C.U.M.E.N.T ... there ... what is wrong with that??!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin

The middle 3 letters
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Dontshootme
#20 Posted : 10 September 2013 09:00:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

SennaMentalMe wrote:
Tomick wrote:

In the same way that it fails to recognise the perfectly clean and acceptable word ... docomeent ... erm, NO!! ... all I said was ... docomeent ... aargh!! ... D.O.C.U.M.E.N.T ... there ... what is wrong with that??!!!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL

Kev BigGrin

The middle 3 letters
D i c k becomes dancer so if you were saying something about a famous highwayman,he would become the really butch,dangerous Dancer TurpinLOL LOL LOL
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae