Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Bob's Spitfire Options
jase
#21 Posted : 10 September 2013 09:01:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

comming along nicely, i knew she was big but that prop shot certainly makes it clear - -its Huge!!! Love
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
kwakermad
#22 Posted : 10 September 2013 21:20:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yes Jase I had read all the dimensions and though 'Yes that will be big' but even as I have been working on it I didnt fully realise the huge scale of the thing till i laid the COLA bottle next to the prop. Cool
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#23 Posted : 10 October 2013 23:46:59

Just to put the scale in prospective here is the Zero prop against the Spit prop.

Better not let SWMBO see it till its finished.Blushing Blushing
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#24 Posted : 15 October 2013 23:12:27

Well the second load of parts have arrived so i will be getting onto the next installment of the build as soon as SWMBO gives me the time to do it.

The only down side is that one of the long stringers has been broken in the post so will have to give customer services a bell. On the plus side only one broke so looking at Mr T's build it will not hold me up as it can be added later. BigGrin
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#25 Posted : 17 October 2013 00:17:20

Well SWMBO gave me some time off for good behavior so it was off to the loft for me.

As Deag decided to send me issues 1 to 4 I decided to start again with the glue that Jase recommended, thanks Jase.

Again I put in the formers before the second side, I ran out of clamps so had to put the glue bottle to work.

Then to add the rear fuselage I decided to glue both on the same time to ensure the correct angles are achieved. Also having the model on its nose meant less juggling/shimming as the glue dried

As you can see I like to have a clean work space to create my masterpieces Confused . Hopefully I will get some more time to play tomorrow, if I am good. Blushing
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 19 October 2013 21:53:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Bob,BigGrin

That`s looking good matey.Cool

Like the innovation for clamps.BigGrin

I`m waiting for second delivery, so like you I can put the main air frame together in a similar fashion.

Good luck for the future of your build.Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jase
#27 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:27:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice progress, although I did recommend the glue as an adhesive not a weight Flapper LOL

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
mark 2
#28 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:54:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jase wrote:
Nice progress, although I did recommend the glue as an adhesive not a weight Flapper LOL

J

LOL LOL .
The build is looking great and look forward to more.
Best regards.
Mark
tf64
#29 Posted : 20 October 2013 10:17:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bob
Looks a very strong construction this will be a great model to build, bet you can't wait for the next post to arrive, nice clean build.
Regards Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

kwakermad
#30 Posted : 20 October 2013 20:45:21

Thanks for all the kind words, Jase if it cant multi task there is no room in my model area for it BigGrin BigGrin

Right the rear fuselage continues, just a continuation of the bulkhead fitment. I am glad that the stringers from pack 5 were broken as it has really helped to be able to stand the model on its nose, also seeing how fragile the 3 x 3 mm stringers are I will not be adding the replacements till the overhang is supported and protected by, I assume, the engine bay components.

Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
kwakermad
#31 Posted : 20 October 2013 20:52:17

As I took the next photo of the last bulkhead in place I thought that the rear end looked squint. So I laid a 3 x 3 piece along the center line and as I feared it was not just my eyesight playing tricks on me. Cursing Cursing

As you can see the stringer does not line up with the front bulkhead, ringed in red.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there any suggestions as to how I am going to put this right without surgery? May have to get the fine tooth saw out to remedy this as I don't want my Spitfire flying around in left hand circles.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
karl1113
#32 Posted : 20 October 2013 21:55:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi,you've got a bit of a bend there,which can easily be fixed,you need to undo one side with warm water and a 1" paintbrush. gently brush on water on one side,leave for 2 min. then gently ease apart with a knife blade,then remove the formers and clean them up, now very carefully follow tomicks official build and remember it's not a race, take it slow,and you must get things square,good luck.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
jase
#33 Posted : 20 October 2013 22:16:37

HI Bob,

As Karl says

Afraid you are going to have to do some rework to sort this out, but don't worry it will be ok.

Lets deal with the problem first. your frame is not true which is why the rib is misaligned. difficult to know the cause 100% from the pics but either the ply on one side is less flexible than the other and so is pulling it out of line or you have not let parts dry and set in position and it has moved or both.

You need to refer to stage 6 of the official build it points out the the frame should be angled to form a taper. make sure every piece has set in place before you fix the next part to avoid risking the parts moving.

Like Karl says above you are going to have to separate the ribs from the frame, then clean up the joints with a needle file or similar, test fit the parts before you build up again and do one step at a time.

Jase
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#34 Posted : 20 October 2013 22:27:28

Groups:

Afraid you are going to have to back track and disassemble.

It appears that you you might have built it with one side laid flat on the surface which has made you pressure the opposite to meet it and created the fueslage warp

You could use a spare 3x3mm stringer into the central slots to give you the centerline reference as you go.

The fuselage must run straight an true otherwise skin panels won't fit.
tf64
#35 Posted : 03 April 2016 10:35:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Bob,

Just wondering how your build is progressing and have you managed to sort out the fuselage and move on with your build.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).