Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Duane's Build Options
portside
#1 Posted : 05 September 2013 18:43:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Good day gents and ladies, if we have any here.

After much deliberation (looking at the the other build diariesCrying ), i have decided that i to will start a build diary.

Please understand that i have not even put together a cheap model airplane before, so i have no skills yet at all.Blushing

Yes, i have posted some of the pics below in another post, but i thought it would be better to rather officially post them in the right place before i get booted BigGrin

Enjoy
portside attached the following image(s):
IMG-20130818-00217.jpg
IMG-20130818-00218.jpg
IMG-20130818-00219.jpg
IMG-20130819-00221.jpg
IMG-20130820-00223.jpg
IMG-20130904-00214.jpg
IMG-20130904-00215.jpg
Captain David
#2 Posted : 05 September 2013 19:40:58

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A good start, Duane.
We will all be looking forward to seeing more of your build.
KobusBeukes
#3 Posted : 05 September 2013 19:52:12

Hi Duane

This is the correct place for your diary where you will get all the right advice for your build!

Regards
Kobus

Current Build
HMS Sovereign of the Seas - First Build
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 05 September 2013 20:33:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the Forum Duane nice start BigGrin Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
NMBROOK
#5 Posted : 05 September 2013 21:59:09

Groups:

Welcome to the forum DuaneBigGrin Nice work,looking forward to following your build
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#6 Posted : 05 September 2013 22:32:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome Duane, looks like you have got off to a very nice start.... Cool Cool .. Will be following with interest... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#7 Posted : 06 September 2013 11:51:31

Groups:

Welcome Duane, indeed we do have some female members and congrats on your first medal Cool

jase
#8 Posted : 06 September 2013 13:38:02

Welcome Duane will be following your build looks like a great start keep the pics comming!!

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 06 September 2013 20:59:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG Duane, BigGrin BigGrin

Look`s like a good start to me.

This is my first build also, but I have started another since and the extra build would not have been possible without the help, guidance and all round assistance of the members of this excellent forum.

I have even started a rebuild, of a part built model that I gave up hope on years ago.

Should you have any problems with your build, then I am sure there will be someone on here that will be able to help.

Keep up the good start and keep us up to date on your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

portside
#10 Posted : 13 September 2013 19:40:57

Hello everyone, have not checked in for a while, works been crazy, which goes without saying that my SOTS has taken a little holiday...
Huh i have a medal, nice! BigGrin
I started on the planking but sadly, even after steaming etc following the forum, most have snapped and i dont know why?
I have since removed all and restarted the planking, sorry only one pic for now but my excitment exited the building along with the snapped planks.
portside attached the following image(s):
IMG-20130910-00249.jpg
Captain David
#11 Posted : 13 September 2013 19:55:25

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

They have probably snapped where there is a knot, Duane.
You cannot put a bend in a plank where there is a knot.
Sort through your planks before choosing the right one for each bit of the job.
I found about 10% of mine were knot-free. Most of them have a knot towards one end.
Say you want to lay a plank that is 5cm short of a full length - choose a plank where the knot will be about 3cm from the end, so you will cut it off as waste.
Even the planks with a knot in the middle will come in useful later, for 2 short bits.
And - you will get many more planks provided than you will need, so don't worry!
portside
#12 Posted : 14 September 2013 16:08:26

cheers captain, appreciate the assistance.
Gandale
#13 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:23:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Duane, the process I used for bending the bamboo was to gently bend under a steaming kettle, never trying to get the bend to happen too quickly... Also, when you look at a plank try bending it one way then the other, you will find it bends easier one way and this is side you should bend it on... hope that makes sense.... With this method I experienced very few breakages or splits.... Cool Cool

Hope this helps, persevere and you will get there I'm sure...

Regards

Alan
portside
#14 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:32:39

Thanks for looking in and the advise Alan, i have not done any work since the previous posting as im working the weekend, these blasted 14hr shifts are a pain...

Woke up this morning to every single planks bust, each one has snapped, im going to have to be slightly more patient when doing this...
Im seriously thinking of steaming all the parts that need to be removed and filling with balsa.Confused
Gandale
#15 Posted : 15 September 2013 10:38:17

portside wrote:
Thanks for looking in and the advise Alan, i have not done any work since the previous posting as im working the weekend, these blasted 14hr shifts are a pain...

Woke up this morning to every single planks bust, each one has snapped, im going to have to be slightly more patient when doing this...
Im seriously thinking of steaming all the parts that need to be removed and filling with balsa.Confused

Hi Duane, as this is my first build I decided to use balsa infills for the whole of my hull and it certainly helped greatly when coming to the planking phase. Not everyone chooses this option, some decided to simply use infills for the bow and stern sections only. If you decide to go down the route of using infills then the early pages of my diary gives a detailed account of how I did it... You always have to be patient when bending planks and there are many ways to achieve it, other diaries explains these different methods... Cool Cool .. Again, hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
jase
#16 Posted : 15 September 2013 11:11:12

Hi Duane.

It is certainly a good idea to use balsa infills at the bow and stern where you have to shape the planks to fit. I would not waste money on infilling all the ribs because you will not need to.

Looking at your progress so far I agree with you a little more patience. If you have not bent the planks and done plenty of test fitting before you fixe them they are much more likely to snap under stress or not lie flat to the ribs and have gaps between the planks.

Have a read through this it is very comprehensive.

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=5669

I also find the official Victory build covers technique very well also despite being a different model the method is the same.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
portside
#17 Posted : 15 September 2013 11:18:31

Cheers Jase, Appreciate the possitive feed back and advise, i have some reading and practising to do BigGrin
I knew somewhere at the back of my mind that i had bitten off more then i could chew by choosing this build to be my first ever, but i have started and i will conquer.

Captain David
#18 Posted : 15 September 2013 11:36:21

Duane, you will get there.
This is my first ship build. It is Alan's (Gandale's) first build.
Just avoid knots where there is a bend to be made (I have managed to avoid knots entirely), then steam or soak the planks before clamping them on a former or pinning in place on the ship itself - then when dry they will have the right curve; then glue in place. I did not steam them but just left the end to be bent in a jug of water for an hour or so. As Alan says, they will want to bend easiest in one direction - follow what the wood wants to do.
Make sure you pre-drill holes for the pins as well, before you glue up, to avoid lengthwise splits.
jase
#19 Posted : 15 September 2013 11:42:43

portside wrote:
Cheers Jase, Appreciate the possitive feed back and advise, i have some reading and practising to do BigGrin
I knew somewhere at the back of my mind that i had bitten off more then i could chew by choosing this build to be my first ever, but i have started and i will conquer.

Lots of help and support on the forum, before you know it you will be an expertBigGrin
-Mark Twain
Hans
#20 Posted : 16 September 2013 08:51:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Duane, do not become despondent. The victory is my first. The secret is to take your time. The forum has a magnitude of tips and ideas that will help you along the way. I learnt one thing, there is no short cuts. Follow the instructions carefully, if you are not sure double check. I soaked, steamed and bent my planks with a converted soldering iron, offering up a plank at a time. It takes time and lots and lots of patience. it is not a race, it is meant to be enjoyed. Taking your time takes out a lot of frustration and produces great results. Have fun!!
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section