Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Aotake paint Options
monoi
#1 Posted : 09 September 2013 14:58:13

Groups: Registered

I had not meant to, but I subscribed...actually, I was made aware of the site when I saw the spitfire advert on tv, and well, the zero looks nicer.

Anyway, I will want to paint some parts in that aotake colour and I was wondering what do people on this forum use? Especially you, Mr T, as you make it look so easy.

I'm sure it's not though.
karl1113
#2 Posted : 09 September 2013 15:07:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi monoi, welcome to the forum,how about a simple discription of your modeling skills and hobbies? feel free to post up your progress and some pics,this will give us a good idea if ever you need help,
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
monoi
#3 Posted : 09 September 2013 15:14:07

My skills are basic. I have some experience but nothing like the standard which seems to permeate from the site.

My last realisation was a Pocher car, which I am quite proud of even if its not 100% (or even 80%!) accurate. I have another Pocher car which I am rebuilding, as well as a small sailboat and an airplane model I bought in the states which is the same concept as the zero except in wood and no skin. The last 3 are in various stages, from taken apart to not started. These are long term projects, pretty much like the zero will probably be.

I have perused the forum and found what looks like the answer to my question in a previous post. I should have started there really.
experten
#4 Posted : 09 September 2013 15:57:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

I use the LifeColor Aotake over Tamiya clear primer for metal. I do know that one of the members here (Snapdragon I think) was able to get a aerosol color mixed "over there" that looked really good. The LifeColor is perhaps a little blue, but there was a huge variance in the real color anyway...

Mark
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
snapdragon
#5 Posted : 09 September 2013 16:09:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the group and build. I think that you will gain much information from here and everyone will help with questions etc.

Aotake is actually a resin which was coloured by a mixture of blue and green dies and was used as an anti-corrosive protective coat on Japanese aircraft.

there has been a very animated Blink discussion on here over Aotake and its actual colour. Indeed, on many forums this colour is still a hotbed of discussion.

The main problem with aotake is that although it has a blue/green colour to it it also has a translucent property and a gloss finish to it. Also due to chemical properties with the resin and die it tended to react not only within itself, but also to light and over time with curing, but also to light and a salt (sea air) atmosphere and colour changes were noted.

This means as modellers when push comes to shove we can use a great range of metallic blue/green shades to represent aotake. Indeed during the mixing process the dies used were not evenly balanced so even at that shade it seems that colours would vary between batches.

We can look at official colour cards and say "That is the colour of Aotake - End of discussion!" The real world of usage is different and if you look at various discussions and also photographs of surviving components of original aircraft and photos during restoration we can see that not only did the colour of Aotake vary, but so did every other colour used!

Field applied paint job colours were different from factory paint jobs, not only in the shade, but how the colour was mixed in the first place.

So we say. Look at the evidence and the arguments and choose a shade that you think is appropriate and that you are comfortable with. Then it is right for you.

Everybody is different

Welcome

James

A.K.A Captain Grumpy
Tomick
#6 Posted : 09 September 2013 17:00:37

Groups:

monoi wrote:
I had not meant to, but I subscribed...actually, I was made aware of the site when I saw the spitfire advert on tv, and well, the zero looks nicer.

Anyway, I will want to paint some parts in that aotake colour and I was wondering what do people on this forum use? Especially you, Mr T, as you make it look so easy.

I'm sure it's not though.

Welcome aboard monoi Cool

I went the simple route and used Tamiya TS-54 light metalic blue aerosol BigGrin
monoi
#7 Posted : 09 September 2013 17:36:26

Me like simple route!

Thank you Captain, and I had read your posts as well as the 4 part explanations so I was not as ill prepared as I made it sound! That said, I am not so interested in accuracy as in the way the plane is built, and I find the intricacies of the airframe model beautiful in itself. So the plan is to do a 1/2 skinned plane, with bits of colour around which might be sacrilege to purists. As it happens, I like the aotake colour but if I can get the aluminium looking as good as in the pictures, there will be plenty left "au naturel".

As I said, it is a long term project and I thank everyone for the welcome.
SennaMentalMe
#8 Posted : 09 September 2013 17:50:31

Groups:

monoi wrote:
Me like simple route!

A very wise decision Monoi, simply because as has already been said, the subject of Aotake and what is deemed to be the correct colour (there isn't ONE correct colour) is an absolute minefield, even for those who think they know something about it, so if you aren't sure then just take the simplest option!!

If it looks right to you then it is good enough and if it is good enough for Tom then it is good enough for anyone - nuff said!! BigGrin ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
monoi
#9 Posted : 09 September 2013 17:52:51

SennaMentalMe wrote:

if it is good enough for Tom then it is good enough for anyone - nuff said!!

I would certainly consider it good enough for me! BigGrin
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 09 September 2013 23:29:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum Monoi
Most of us are using the lifcolour version of Aotake but Snap had his own batch made up another member sent for the version available in Japan but unless this is a waterbased paint it may not be possible to import it now due to the international posting rules on some substances
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

court orchard
#11 Posted : 10 September 2013 01:08:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Welcome to the forum Monoi
Most of us are using the lifcolour version of Aotake but Snap had his own batch made up another member sent for the version available in Japan but unless this is a waterbased paint it may not be possible to import it now due to the international posting rules on some substances
regards
AndyCool

Andy, seeing as I am also now signed up for the Zero, can I ask what you are priming with before the Lifecolor. The Tamiya clear primer seems impossible to source here.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Tomick
#12 Posted : 10 September 2013 08:59:07

Groups:

There is an alternative clear metal primer available in the UK which is similar to the Tamiya offering, available in aerosol and pot via MDC..

http://www.modeldesignco...Spray%20%20%20UK%20only
court orchard
#13 Posted : 10 September 2013 10:34:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
There is an alternative clear metal primer available in the UK which is similar to the Tamiya offering, available in aerosol and pot via MDC..

http://www.modeldesignco...Spray%20%20%20UK%20only

Thanks Mr T, I've ordered some.
P.S. The Website ordering doesn't work, as it won't accept a valid shipping. But I phoned him and he was extremely helpful. The Post Office is laying down the law on shipping liquids, but apparantly they have exempted beauty products, so you can post flammable Perfume but not water based paintConfused Confused
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
pemberg
#14 Posted : 10 September 2013 11:10:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry for hi-jacking this post but it is relevant to the topic.

I am using the same primer and lifecolor aotake but in have been having difficulty getting an even translucent covering on aluminium. have been ok on plasticard primed with Tamiya primer but getting a patchy finish on aluminium.

Can anyone give some idea of the dilution/air pressure combination they are using for spraying the lifecolor paint.

Thanks graeme
jase
#15 Posted : 10 September 2013 14:04:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pemberg wrote:
Sorry for hi-jacking this post but it is relevant to the topic.

I am using the same primer and lifecolor aotake but in have been having difficulty getting an even translucent covering on aluminium. have been ok on plasticard primed with Tamiya primer but getting a patchy finish on aluminium.

Can anyone give some idea of the dilution/air pressure combination they are using for spraying the lifecolor paint.

Thanks graeme

can not answer your spacific question, however, can i ask are you cleaning the parts prior to assembly/priming?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
pemberg
#16 Posted : 10 September 2013 14:20:09

Hi Jase, yes - always degrease with alcohol or acetone (warm soapy water for plastic) prior to priming. Obviously have to be more careful once primed so as not to take the primer off.

It is only the lifecolor paints I am having problems with. It is the first time I've used them. Never had a probelm with Tamiya, Humbrol etc. and Alclad goes on without a problem.

Graeme
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 10 September 2013 15:48:35

BigGrin Hi Greham
Generally I have been degreasing with white vinegar and then a quick dip in deoinised battery water to remove any traces of vinegar, I use a large ceramic lasagne dish/tray for my vinegar bath .
I have been spraying the undercoat with a clear laqueur I get from my local pound shop nothing fancy but it works ok and it comes in 500ml cans.
The Aotake I spray at around 15PSI using light fast coats and im generally happy with the colour at around the 3rd light coat.
I have purposefully gone for the blotchy look but up to the second light coat its quite opaque and uniform.
Hope this helps
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#18 Posted : 10 September 2013 15:53:30

BigGrin Hi Andy
I have been using a clear metal/ plastic undercoat I get from my local pound shopy type place by canbrush I think.
But I found 6 cans of the Tamiya on Ammy link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...r-Plastic/dp/B000BMXRUM

regards
AndyCool

pemberg
#19 Posted : 10 September 2013 16:21:16

Hi, the link you gave shows it as clear on the title but the product description further down says it is light grey.

i was spraying at 12psi with a 50/50 mix so maybe I was being a little heavy handed

Graeme
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 10 September 2013 16:32:21

Blink OOOOOPS very true i missed that and if you look close at the pic you can just make out light grey tooBlink
Thanks for pointing that out and i forgot to say i have thinned mine down to around 25/30% paint to thinner
AndyCool