Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

epoxy resin Options
cal
#1 Posted : 22 September 2013 09:12:20

Groups: Registered

morning everyone ive just recived my first parts for my loco is there a resin I can use that's redy mixed like super glue? if not whats the best stuff to use thanks calBigGrin
court orchard
#2 Posted : 22 September 2013 09:56:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Cal,
All Epoxy Resins are 2 part and unfortunately have to be mixed. I have used self mixing epoxy, which mixed in a helical applicator tube, but they are only suitable for large quantities and are quite wasteful/expensive. The main thing is to choose the speed of the epoxy, personally I don't like fast or 5 minute epoxies, as they start to cure almost immediately and start to increase their viscosity. The viscosity is also affected by the ambient temperature and I have put mixed epoxy in a warm oven to get a nice flow for application. As to which one, I've found no difference in cheap epoxy v more expensive. I'm using some I bought from Lidl for a £1 and it's fine. I have years ago used a very expensive epoxy that came from the US called Torr-Seal and that set like a ceramic, but I haven't seen it for a long time, plus it was white, which could be a disadvantage.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 22 September 2013 09:56:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Cal
I have been using both medium super glue and epoxy [ 30 minute set ] also it might be a good idea to get some thread lock for the screws
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

cal
#4 Posted : 22 September 2013 18:42:06

thanks for the replies guys going to be a while b4 I start got the victory to finish currently on 81 & waiting for missing pulleys from issue 66 to be delivered BigGrin