Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Skin Panels Options
zerobuilder
#1 Posted : 03 October 2013 08:12:39

Groups: Registered

Has anyone else had problems with the state of the skin panels when they arrive. I have had shipment 15 and 16 which both contain skin panels and both have been very badly damaged to a state of not being able to use them. They have of course been replaced straight away which is great service. I do however think the skin panels should be better packaged than just in a jiffy bag. They are quite fragile and not easy to make good once crumpled or dented. I mentioned this to Tomick last month and he has passed my comments on to the powers that be. Hopefully a new approach on posting will be in place for fragile parts.

Just curious of is it just our Yorkshire postmen that are a little heavy handed with things!!!

Must say the skin material is fantastic though really brings the plane to life. I have opted for a half and half finish and i am currently in the process of making all the rivet dents on the skin Cursing a tedious job but will look much better than the flat painted panels.

Any feedback appreciated
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 03 October 2013 10:50:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Zerobuilder
Sorry to hear about your postal mishaps but I think all of us have at one time or another been victims of the postmen, I sometimes think the more it says fragile or do not bend the more unwanted abuse it gets.
Glad you got your replacements im not as far forward as yourself but must say its an excelent Kit with a high amount of quality thrown in.
Maybe you might consider putting up a few pics of your build there are plenty of people who would appreciate your endeviors im sure
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

experten
#3 Posted : 03 October 2013 16:38:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hi All,

I have a full set of skin panels that I'll not be using. I will be keeping the fish plates however, and the parts for the pulleys. That said, the early issues do have some wrinkles, but if anyone wants them to try and piece together their skin, they are yours for the cost of shipping the lot back across the pond. (and whatever ParcelFarce decides to gouge you for...)Let me know by PM if you are interested.

Tired, Old, and Cranky!
NMBROOK
#4 Posted : 03 October 2013 23:56:57

Groups:

Hi Zerobuilder
I live next door at Ferrybridge,I had the same problem with Sovereign,the normal postie was great,rang the bell rather than put it in the letterbox,however when she was on holiday it got wedged in the box beyond recognition,so had no choice but to cancel my subscription and get it through the newsagent now.
Kind Regards Nigel
experten
#5 Posted : 04 October 2013 02:02:28

Groups: Registered, Official Builds

My extra skin panels have been spoken for.
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
snapdragon
#6 Posted : 30 October 2013 13:04:01

I'm over at Heckmondwike. Seems to be lots of Yorkshire builders BigGrin

This is good as Yorkshire people are known for their tightness with money and will only buy stuff that they know are good quality and will enjoy whatever they buy. It seems that a model kit (of any description) is only a success when half of Yorkshire is building it!

There is also a story that copper wire was invented by two Yorkshire men fighting over a penny. This is not a story.... it's the truth.LOL

Also from birth - and maybe even the womb - Yorkshire people are taught how to get a good deal. Usually the first words a Yorkshire baby utters is "How Much!!??"

I have very good relations with my postie. He knows what I am getting and is always careful. Knocks on the door and everything rather than shove it through the letterbox. I think that it is the post handlers outside Yorkshire that might be the problem!!!

James