Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
"TALLY-HO" Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 12 October 2013 16:37:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,

This is the start of something big, VERY BIG.

Have just received the first four issues today, so thought I`d start my diary.

First off, I would like to thank Mr T for posting a link to this item.

A metal wall plate of a Spitfire.

Oh dear, more to come later.

SWMBO has just summoned me to take her shopping. Cursing Crying Cursing

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Spit1a_zpsd59bcd07.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#2 Posted : 12 October 2013 21:10:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,BigGrin BigGrin

I managed to purchase,(yes on ebay Flapper ) this copy of the first edition,
second print run of the book "Fly for your life"

Author: Larry Forrester

Dust cover: Some tatty parts, but it`s 57 years old, Huh

Me: I`m 58 and a lot more tattered than the book.
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Spit2_zps78a29368.jpg

Tomick
#3 Posted : 12 October 2013 21:22:09

Groups:

It makes fascinating reading Cool
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 12 October 2013 21:30:20

Tomick wrote:
It makes fascinating reading Cool

Hi Mr T,BigGrin

I`m sure it will.Love

I will give it a thorough read and it, along with the plaque will become a sealed display to preserve them.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 12 October 2013 21:51:44

Hi All,BigGrin

Having now looked inside the book I found the following:
An inscription dated 1956, inside the front cover,

Plus a drawing of RST himself

That`s the intro, so will post some pics of the first delivery tomorrow,
with details of how I intend to build this wonderful model.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Spit3_zps827c76bf.jpg
IMG_0488_zpsf7fd4122.jpg

delboy271155
#6 Posted : 13 October 2013 08:59:25

Hi All, BigGrin

Below are some pics of the first batch of parts.(Pics 1-4)

As you can see the first three sets of parts came well protected, but the parts in issue four came in a very flimsy plastic bag.
(Thankfully no damage)

I intend to build the kit in Tuck`s colours and insignia.

It has been pointed out that the metal parts will need a clean up and that Micro Mesh was a good item to use.
So it was off to good old Ebay (again) and I found a Micro Mesh craft kit that cost about £15.

You get: 9 sanding pads (with chart showing grades)
3 finger files (double sided giving 6 grades
1 bottle of micro gloss and cloth

Last four pics below

That`s all for now.

I will not be starting this build until I get more of the airframe parts, so that I can get a better idea of how things are going to progress

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Spit4_zps18e782de.jpg
Spit5_zps20d90d6a.jpg
Spit6_zpsb03fdc6e.jpg
Spit7_zps156dc6cc.jpg
Capture.jpg
IMG_0490_zps41e6f514.jpg
IMG_0491_zps5e535f2e.jpg
IMG_0492_zps26b4b796.jpg

arpurchase
#7 Posted : 13 October 2013 10:57:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Del
The Micro-mesh Kit may be of interest to others maybe you could add it to the tools section with a link to the sellers . Looking like a start is imminent good luck with the build
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#8 Posted : 13 October 2013 11:28:18

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Del
The Micro-mesh Kit may be of interest to others maybe you could add it to the tools section with a link to the sellers . Looking like a start is imminent good luck with the build
regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

Consider it done, the link is up.

As for the build, will start in a month when second batch of parts arrive.

Thanks for looking in.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#9 Posted : 04 November 2013 15:22:41

Hi All,BigGrin

Just received my second download for my Spitfire build, so parts can`t be far off.

So, decided it`s time to make a start.

Started by cleaning up the surfaces to be glued.

Then worked out the best way to clamp it together with a dry fit, taking plenty of time
to make sure everything ends up square.

When happy with the set up it was out with the Aliphatic.

The three pics below are as follows:

The first frame and side panel.

Followed up with the end frame.

Finally this is where I am at the present time.(Giving plenty of drying time)

Will update when next package arrives (Hopefully next couple of days).

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Spit8_zps030fa594.jpg
Spit9_zps0d1873cf.jpg
Spit10_zpsb70540ab.jpg

tf64
#10 Posted : 04 November 2013 18:09:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek,
Your off to a good start, no rush this will be a good strong build I can see.
Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 04 November 2013 18:18:43

tf64 wrote:
Hi Derek,
Your off to a good start, no rush this will be a good strong build I can see.
Trev.

Hi Trev,BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look.Cool

I`m certainly in no rush, have a lot of things on the go and my Sots build is centre stage as I`m into learning how to gold leaf.

Will update when things progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#12 Posted : 04 November 2013 21:10:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek ,
Looking forward to this build myself as I am up to set 3 this is the set with wing ribs.I like you have built many aircraft in my time 3 Spitfires to date,but the wood work on the wing ribs is superb I don' t think I can wait for much longer.At the moment I building a Gloster Gladiator by Aero Graphics 21'in wing span fuselages and wings are covered with light weight tissue but I found the model very fragile so I covered the wings with 1/32 balsa.this can be powered by a rubber band or a GM300 C02 motor (is that gas).
Anyway I hope to start soon on the Spit and join you with your build.
Regards Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 04 November 2013 21:26:54

tf64 wrote:
Hi Derek ,
Looking forward to this build myself as I am up to set 3 this is the set with wing ribs.I like you have built many aircraft in my time 3 Spitfires to date,but the wood work on the wing ribs is superb I don' t think I can wait for much longer.At the moment I building a Gloster Gladiator by Aero Graphics 21'in wing span fuselages and wings are covered with light weight tissue but I found the model very fragile so I covered the wings with 1/32 balsa.this can be powered by a rubber band or a GM300 C02 motor (is that gas).
Anyway I hope to start soon on the Spit and join you with your build.
Regards Trev.

Hi Trev,BigGrin

The last time I built a plane, the wings were covered in a light weight plastic, this was then heated gently with a hair dryer at which point it shrunk and hardened and the result was really solid(nothing moved).

I`m sure when you start your Spit we will be able to swap some gems of information Cool.

Happy Building,BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

DJS
#14 Posted : 05 November 2013 20:36:18

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Derek,

Wasn't that stuff called solar film ?, looked super when first done if covered correctly, awful after a few months as wrinkles started to reappear everywhere.

Nice start to your build btw.

Regards - Dave
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 05 November 2013 22:17:27

DJS wrote:
Hi Derek,

Wasn't that stuff called solar film ?, looked super when first done if covered correctly, awful after a few months as wrinkles started to reappear everywhere.

Nice start to your build btw.

Regards - Dave

Hi Dave,BigGrin

Yep I think that was the name.

Had to get it seriously tight for it to last.

Thanks for the kind comments.

More to follow soon as next set of parts are in dispatch at Deag, Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Taz
#16 Posted : 06 November 2013 07:29:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek
Coming along nicely, keep up the good work.Cool

Regards

Taz.
“Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.”

delboy271155
#17 Posted : 06 November 2013 09:35:37

Taz wrote:
Hi Derek
Coming along nicely, keep up the good work.Cool

Regards

Taz.

Hi Taz,

Thanks for taking a look and the kind comments.

I am a little further on now than the above pics show, but not much.

It will really start to progress when the next four issues arrive hopefully in the next couple of days.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

experten
#18 Posted : 06 November 2013 14:02:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

This is an interesting kit. I grew up reading 'Fly For Your Life", and Tuck was/is one of my heroes. I have several Robert Taylor prints with his signature, and a really cool facsimile of his logbook that was published by him, before his death. I picked it up off of eBay UK a while ago, and I believe they are still available.

The build is so vastly different than the Zero, that it will be very interesting to see how it all pulls together. I will be keeping an eye on your log. It is looking great so far!
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
delboy271155
#19 Posted : 08 November 2013 00:01:43

experten wrote:
This is an interesting kit. I grew up reading 'Fly For Your Life", and Tuck was/is one of my heroes. I have several Robert Taylor prints with his signature, and a really cool facsimile of his logbook that was published by him, before his death. I picked it up off of eBay UK a while ago, and I believe they are still available.

The build is so vastly different than the Zero, that it will be very interesting to see how it all pulls together. I will be keeping an eye on your log. It is looking great so far!

Hi Experten,BigGrin

Thanks for the kind comments.

You are right about this build being interesting, in more ways than one.

I can`t remember (or don`t really want to Crying ) how long ago it was I last built a plane, so this is a re-learning process.

Good thing is, that there are very helpful people on this forum, with bucket loads of experience to help you out.

Below is the latest pic of my spit build.(end of issue 4)

The rear right of the frame is clamped (not glued)as there is another frame to be added.

Thanks again for looking in.

Happy Building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Spitfire11_zps3f2f1c1f.jpg

delboy271155
#20 Posted : 13 November 2013 20:56:58