Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
"TALLY-HO" Options
delboy271155
#21 Posted : 13 November 2013 20:58:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#22 Posted : 13 November 2013 22:30:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Firstly apologies for the previous 2/3 posts.Blushing

Photobucket decided to play silly games.

Anyway it`s update time as I received my second delivery today.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

So here goes.

Received my freebie Messerschmitt Bf109 F4 (Pic 1)

The previous issues left one end of the frame open awaiting an intermediary frame to be inserted and then the end frame needed closing.

A further end frame is then inserted. (Pic 2)

It was at this point, that while things were setting I had a thought.
(Rare, but they do happen LOL )

Bob`s build ended up with the tail end twisted (hope you`ve managed to sort it Bob), so before proceeding I went for a total dry fit of the tail end .

a: To see how things went together.
b: To work out the best method of clamping it all together.
c: To give a final check to see if the top stringer would fit in all the
relevant notches in the frames.

The dry fit:(Pic 3)

Then the check for straightness (all dry fit at moment)(Pic 4)

and it all appears straight Cool(Pic 5)

Well that`s all for today.

There`s more to follow when this lot is all finally glued together, so will update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Spitfire12_zps957845ad.jpg
Spitfire13_zpsc5b13126.jpg
Spitfire14_zps7b2f8b36.jpg
Spitfire15_zpse363d03c.jpg
Spitfire16_zps76227ae1.jpg

Gandale
#23 Posted : 13 November 2013 23:02:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Derek, taking shape nicely.... well done...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 13 November 2013 23:09:46

Gandale wrote:
Hi Derek, taking shape nicely.... well done...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,BigGrin

Thanks for looking in.

Lots of checking and double checking on this one, as it`s not a case of adding a strip of wood.

If things go out of shape early on, the aluminium plates just won`t line
up and you can`t add bits.

At the moment all looks tickety.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

andysod
#25 Posted : 06 January 2014 21:26:48

Groups: Registered

Hi Derek, looking good so far, I wonder if you could tell me where you acquired the red, yellow and green spring clips in your first build pic, I have some others but I don't like the heads on them yours look a lot better, cheers Andy
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 07 January 2014 17:11:51

andysod wrote:
Hi Derek, looking good so far, I wonder if you could tell me where you acquired the red, yellow and green spring clips in your first build pic, I have some others but I don't like the heads on them yours look a lot better, cheers Andy

Hi Andy,BigGrin

Firstly thanks for your kind comments. Cool

The truth is that I have one former at the rear of the centre fuselage out of place,Cursing and a radial twist of about ten degrees at the front of the centre fuselage.

The problems me thinks will only be cured by stripping it back to it`s component parts and looking for what has caused the issues, as everything was checked for square and clamped in place as per the instructions. Crying Crying Crying

Now as for the little coloured clamps, they were actually clothes pegs for a camping washing line I bought in a pound shop LOL.

Don`t know if you will be able to find them Confused sorry.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

andysod
#27 Posted : 07 January 2014 18:33:38

Thanks anyway Derek, I will have a look around, who knows. Andy
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 28 January 2014 20:10:45

Hi All,BigGrin BigGrin

Well It`s been a little while for an update on this one.Crying

Hit a major snag or so I thought.Confused

At last look, I had a curve of sorts between the centre fuselage and tail section and a radial twist within the centre fuselage section.Cursing

I was looking at the time of the last post, that I would need a complete strip back to the beginning.Crying Crying Crying Crying

My decision to take a step away from this build for a time proved to be a blessing in disguise.

Having finished my cannon dio build a couple of days ago, I returned to the Spitfire.

The result was quick and well worth the delay.BigGrin BigGrin

I very carefully removed the centre fuselage from the tail section, then removed the frame number 5 at the point they joined together.

What I found next was a real eye opener.

The major side slots of frame 5 were not straight.

The solution turned out to be as follows:

Flatten the side slots of frame 5, little by little and clamp things back together as a dry fit.

To start with things didn`t seem to change, then suddenly hit a point where things took a change.

After several dry clampings I found that things seemed to have straightened out in both areas that I had a problem.

This is the end result after glueing and a final clamp session that was then given 36 hours to set.(See pics below)

This issue over I am now looking forward to getting back to this build.

The major thing I`ve learnt is that it sometimes pays to leave things for a while and come back to them later. Blushing

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Spitfire17_zps3a007267.jpg
Spitfire18_zps2530af9f.jpg

tf64
#29 Posted : 29 January 2014 12:07:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Del,
Thanks for the update on your build, looks like you have had your problems it is good to see that you have resolved the twist in the fuselage tail section. I think your right in saying have a rest and return back it will give you a different approach, I know I found this with my Victory. I don't think it will take you to long to catch up with your skill's, and will look forward to your next post.
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#30 Posted : 29 January 2014 19:27:29

tf64 wrote:
Hello Del,
Thanks for the update on your build, looks like you have had your problems it is good to see that you have resolved the twist in the fuselage tail section. I think your right in saying have a rest and return back it will give you a different approach, I know I found this with my Victory. I don't think it will take you to long to catch up with your skill's, and will look forward to your next post.
Regards
Trev.

Hi Trev, BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look and your very welcome comments.Cool

I was a little bit lucky that the problem was at the first point I went back to, or it could have been a lot longer story.Blink Blink

Still, now it`s onwards and upwards between all the other things I`ve got on the go. Laugh

Thanks again,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#31 Posted : 29 January 2014 19:53:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#32 Posted : 29 January 2014 21:58:03

stevie_o wrote:
Nice to see you back on track with this Del, look forward to seeing more of it - there is no way I could do an aircraft build with the workspace I have but nvermindBigGrin
Steve

Hi Steve, BigGrin

Back on track, yes.

Through intuition, luck or a combination of both?

Well I`m not sure Blushing

Good thing is that the issue I had appears to have gone.Cool

As for build space I have to move things around even with a spare 24x12 room, that is until I clear a lot of stuff I no longer need,Laugh

Biggest problem will be when the spitfire is finishedCrying

Where oh where to display it.

That`s a problem for another day, some time in the futureConfused

Thanks for looking in

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#33 Posted : 29 January 2014 23:01:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Fab recovery Derek, credit to you for not giving up..... Will be watching your progress and hope now it will be trouble free for you.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 30 January 2014 20:45:03

Gandale wrote:
Fab recovery Derek, credit to you for not giving up..... Will be watching your progress and hope now it will be trouble free for you.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for looking in, BigGrin

Did have a few scary moments during the taking apart bit, but all for the good.

Now have three days off work so, gun port lining and wing building to do and catching up on other things going on, could be a diverse few days and then you can add to that lots of fish tanks to clean.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Happy building all,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#35 Posted : 30 January 2014 23:07:42

delboy271155 wrote:
Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for looking in, BigGrin

Did have a few scary moments during the taking apart bit, but all for the good.

Now have three days off work so, gun port lining and wing building to do and catching up on other things going on, could be a diverse few days and then you can add to that lots of fish tanks to clean.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Happy building all,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

LOL LOL LOL .. Better you than me Derek, I only have one fish tank to clean even though it is a large one... Having a couple of problems with it right now after my filter unit decided to fall into a permanent sleep..... Am sure I'll get it sorted out though.... Oh, and keep posting the Spit pics.....LOL LOL Flapper Flapper LOL LOL

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#36 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:28:53

Hi All,BigGrin

Well, with the fuselage issues resolved I`ve moved onto the right wing.

I have numerous parts stashed and with the amount of parts and their close proximity to each other, I have gone for a complete dry fit.

This has already shown up some very minor issues of tight and loose fitting components,so will be jigging and clamping these parts very carefully when it comes to finally glueing.

I can see it being a nightmare if you had to disassemble this part of the build.

That said, below are a few pics of the dry fit.(Pics 1-3)

It was at this point I thought (instant headache Laugh ), wonder what it looks like with the fuselage in place?

The answer !! (Pic 4)

Well that`s it for know folks BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
Spitfire19_zps07b26d51.jpg
Spitfire20_zps48a4c2fb.jpg
Spitfire21_zps883a0674.jpg
Spitfire22_zpse6fcc16a.jpg

tf64
#37 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:36:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Del,
Yep looking very good to me,still waiting for my next part hope it won't be to long.
Regards
Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Gandale
#38 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:02:41

Cracking job Derek, look forward to seeing the wing with some glue added......BigGrin BigGrin .. Looking fab....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#39 Posted : 01 February 2014 02:20:49

Blink Hi Del
Just an observation and it may just be the picture angle but on post 28 last picture it looks like formers 7/8 still have a slight twist to the right and back to the left. Maybe just the angle and I hope Im wrong
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#40 Posted : 01 February 2014 09:09:35

tf64 wrote:
Hi Del,
Yep looking very good to me,still waiting for my next part hope it won't be to long.
Regards
Trev.

Hi Trev,

Thanks for looking in, with the nasty bit over I`m now looking forward in a better frame of mind.

As for your itchy finger issue, I don`t have an answer LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)