Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
"TALLY-HO" Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 01 February 2014 09:13:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Gandale wrote:
Cracking job Derek, look forward to seeing the wing with some glue added......BigGrin BigGrin .. Looking fab....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,BigGrin

Glue on it`s way, just working on a jig system to get it spot on.

Thanks for looking in and your comments.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#42 Posted : 01 February 2014 09:22:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

arpurchase wrote:
Blink Hi Del
Just an observation and it may just be the picture angle but on post 28 last picture it looks like formers 7/8 still have a slight twist to the right and back to the left. Maybe just the angle and I hope Im wrong
regards
AndyCool

Hi Andy,BigGrin

Your eyesight and observation is correct, but the shift is very, very slight and is exaggerated by the camera angle.

Had me in a panic for a bit there, as I`ve added all the stringers now.Crying Crying

Thanks for looking in and your input.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#43 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:18:39

Hi All,BigGrin

This is the start of the right wing build,(inc the jig).

I used this jig to set up my Victory build and have adapted it for the Spitfire.

The jig consists of a grid base and right angle brackets, as below Pic 1.

I spaced the brackets at different distances apart to allow for varying gaps between the wing ribs.Pic 2

This then gave me a sliding clamp for the main wing spar. Pic 3

I could then position the first wing rib and place it directly on one of the grid reference lines. Pic 4

It was then a case of positioning the clamps to make sure all angles were ok, then remove the rib, apply adhesive, replace the rib and allow to set. Pics 5+6

From this point all I had to do was slide the main spar right or left, to get the next rib in line with the grid and duplicate the last procedure.
The next picture shows the rear spar in place (not glued) to aid in the setting of the ribs. Pic 7

Having set a firm base frame, for the next rib I removed the rear spar, glued the next rib, put it in position and then clamped it in place with the rear spar as an extra support. Pic 8

That`s all for this session, BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Spitfire23.jpg
Spitfire24.jpg
Spitfire25.jpg
Spitfire26.jpg
Spitfire27.jpg
Spitfire28.jpg
Spitfire29.jpg
Spitfire30.jpg

tf64
#44 Posted : 01 February 2014 19:53:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Del,
Thanks for posting, good to see your under way again, those brackets do help to keep it all upright while it sets and you have made a good start on the wing soon be finished eh !
All the best.
Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#45 Posted : 01 February 2014 20:27:49

tf64 wrote:
Hi Del,
Thanks for posting, good to see your under way again, those brackets do help to keep it all upright while it sets and you have made a good start on the wing soon be finished eh !
All the best.
Trev.

Hi Trev, BigGrin

Yep, confidence back again after the shaky start and as you so rightly say that jig is great.

Still a way to go on this wing and then,

"Do it all again"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Thanks for looking in and your support, it is appreciated. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#46 Posted : 02 February 2014 10:51:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice neat precise work there Derek.... Cool Cool ..Keep posting....

Regards

Alan
D.Bader
#47 Posted : 23 February 2014 15:17:36

Groups:

Hi

Im on the wings to and ive not used supports 4 mine. does it help?

Eddie
delboy271155
#48 Posted : 23 February 2014 15:53:20

D.Bader wrote:

Hi

Im on the wings to and ive not used supports 4 mine. does it help?

Eddie

Hi Eddie, BigGrin

Firstly, welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for any help and/or assistance you may need.Cool

As for the supports, they are not compulsory, but I had them available from another build so put them to further use.

Reference your question does it help?

Anything you have to hand to get things straight and square can only be of benefit.

As the spitfire is being plated in small squares of plate metal, then everything is going to have to be spot on or you may end up with issues later on.

In conclusion, if you have a method of making sure everything is straight and square then carry on.

Happy building,

Hope to see a build diary, they are few and far between.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

D.Bader
#49 Posted : 23 February 2014 16:46:42

Groups:

Thankyou and it's a good site this BigGrin

If I do a boat then I'll need them then I guess. I hope mine is square but won't now till panels go on Crying I might get my son to do some pictures as not gota camera. He can show me

Thanks
Eddie
delboy271155
#50 Posted : 24 February 2014 22:37:13

D.Bader wrote:

Thankyou and it's a good site this BigGrin

If I do a boat then I'll need them then I guess. I hope mine is square but won't now till panels go on Crying I might get my son to do some pictures as not gota camera. He can show me

Thanks
Eddie

Hi Eddie, this jig kit is mainly for planes, but I`ve adapted it for my Victory build.

If you plan to get into boats as well, then there are specific keel jigs or you can make your own.

Have a good time browsing some of the boat builds from their start and you`ll see what I mean. Laugh

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

tf64
#51 Posted : 11 April 2016 21:00:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek,

Just wondering if you have built more to your Spitfire, I know you have other projects on the go, your DC3 build is which is probably taking most of your time plus your river boat you are very busy.

But as I say I just wondered if the Spit has had any more attention.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

delboy271155
#52 Posted : 12 April 2016 00:35:21

Hi Trev, BigGrin

You hit the nail on the head. Very busy, but as the DC3 is only a couple of months from the finish line I hope to get back in the Spitfire groove soon.

I'm also still only half way through a workroom refit to accommodate the size of the builds I'm involved with.

Will update ASAP.

Thanks for looking in.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#53 Posted : 10 March 2022 19:01:05

Hi All,Blink Blink

As the saying goes "Never say Never". Crying

I have been out of action for some time due to serious "Tendonitis" in my right hand/thumb, which has affected my ability to grip things that are small. Really useful (NOT) when modelling.

I`ve managed some work on my full size cruiser as I use large power tools and people that can help out.

Now I have some more use in said hand and have tried out some easier work with wood/metal where screwdrivers etc are not needed.

There are some missing pics from way back that were never taken but this is an update that has taken over three weeks to complete. To put things in perspective I tried to put some ball joints into an RB7 build with a screwdriver and had to resort to using a cloth round the part and pliers in my left-hand as I couldn`t get the screwdriver to hold in the screw head.

Enough of all that, here`s some productivity on the Spitfire, you will see some marks where the pins have been hammered in and the strike was not exactly on target.

Depending on how many marks are made will depend on whether I go the painted/unpainted route. Just doing the best I can as I`m fed up not building.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG20220310171106.jpg
IMG20220310171115.jpg
IMG20220310171203.jpg
IMG20220310171241.jpg
IMG20220310171914.jpg

tf64
#54 Posted : 11 March 2022 14:02:31

Hi Derek,

That's good news about your hand, and it's good to see the Spitfire out of the hanger ready for the next stage on the wings. If you need more metal sheets B&Q sell Aluminium sheets 25x50 cm / O.5 mm for about £4.00 practice all you like with that size.

Just a thought

Regards

Trev.

delboy271155
#55 Posted : 11 March 2022 19:55:19

tf64 wrote:
Hi Derek,

That's good news about your hand, and it's good to see the Spitfire out of the hanger ready for the next stage on the wings. If you need more metal sheets B&Q sell Aluminium sheets 25x50 cm / O.5 mm for about £4.00 practice all you like with that size.

Just a thought

Regards

Trev.

Hi Trev, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and the tips. Appreciated as always. Cool

Progress will be slow as after about an hour the thumb starts tightening up Crying , but at least I can get something accomplished.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#56 Posted : 14 March 2022 18:43:36

UPDATE BigGrin :

I`ve done some bits and pieces ( not necessarily in the correct order) so I can make some more progress.

Pic 1: added another panel.
Pic 2: start of the undercarriage.
Pic 3: undercarriage box sections made and fixed plus cut away sections.
Pic 4: First wheel well cut away.
Pic 5: Rear of wing mounting plates fitted.

That`s what I`ve managed in four days, but at least its progress.Blink

More to follow when enough to post.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG20220314171447.jpg
IMG20220312180427.jpg
IMG20220314171503.jpg
IMG20220314171510.jpg
IMG20220314171523.jpg

Markwarren
#57 Posted : 15 March 2022 08:06:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Derek, always loved this kit. Good to see you back building.BigGrin

Mark
delboy271155
#58 Posted : 15 March 2022 15:13:03

Markwarren wrote:
Nice work Derek, always loved this kit. Good to see you back building.BigGrin

Mark

Hi Mark BigGrin

Thanks for the comments and its good to be back in building mode even if its limited.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#59 Posted : 16 March 2022 18:12:10

Hi all, BigGrin

Just a small update for now:

Have made up the next two plates for the right wing, (see attached pic).

Need to purchase some new sand paper tomorrow, before I can proceed with fitting them.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG20220316170056.jpg

delboy271155
#60 Posted : 31 March 2022 19:07:30

Hi All, BigGrin

Some more progress made on the wing plating.

I`ve now managed to get the right wing leading edge plates completed and the first rear plate done.

I`m thinking that I`m still on course to finish this in the shiny metal finish, but time will tell. Still lots of panels to fit and if that goes ok, then a good polish up before the final decision.Blink

Have attached a couple of pics of recent progress below.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
IMG20220331182508.jpg
IMG20220331182522.jpg