Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Graeme's 1/35th Dora Railgun Options
mark 2
#21 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:42:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Graeme.
I very much look forward to your build as i was going to get this kit Drool Love when it first came out but i had no space to put it.
Anyway best regards.
Mark
mark 2
#22 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:44:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

petpole wrote:
Well I hope so Graham.
This is the version I'm getting from hobby boss.

http://www.wonderlandmod...80cm-ke-railway-gun-do/

Also convinced my other Harf to get me this to go with it.LOL LOL LOL

http://www.wonderlandmod...n-dampflokomotive-br86/

It should look a nice display model with about 100 figures and other features.

Here is a better detail of what I'm getting.

http://www.hobbyboss.com...1_72/2010/1127/541.html

Peter

Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

I look forward to your build as well Peter.
Best regards.
Mark
pemberg
#23 Posted : 20 October 2013 13:06:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the heads up Nigel, I will try to find the link. I do remember seeing an article soon after I bought the kit about somebody having difficulty finding a suitable plastic glue for this but I will check on some spru before starting although if you started on the bogies I am assuming you had no such problems.

Jase, I know the feeling. The last one just started Uni so I have somewhere to store it whilst building but will have to mothball while he is home at Christmas etc. He will probably be finished uni before I finish this Confused Confused

Graeme
NMBROOK
#24 Posted : 20 October 2013 13:41:38

Groups:

pemberg wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Nigel, I will try to find the link. I do remember seeing an article soon after I bought the kit about somebody having difficulty finding a suitable plastic glue for this but I will check on some spru before starting although if you started on the bogies I am assuming you had no such problems.

Jase, I know the feeling. The last one just started Uni so I have somewhere to store it whilst building but will have to mothball while he is home at Christmas etc. He will probably be finished uni before I finish this Confused Confused

Graeme

As regards the glue,it is a true ABS.Plastic weld and UHU special plast I think it is called work great.There can be paint adhesion issues with ABS.If you spray the parts with a light coat of Halfords plastic primer first,this overcomes the problem.Unfortunately Tamiya primer doesn't stick properly(there is a mention on the can but I can't elaborate as I don't speak JapaneseLOL )
Kind Regards Nigel
pemberg
#25 Posted : 20 October 2013 14:38:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cheers Nigel, I've got a bottle of Deluxe materials plastic magic here and it says it sticks ABS so I'll give this a go and if not will get some plastic weld.

Graeme
pemberg
#26 Posted : 20 October 2013 22:10:26

I cut some bits of spru and tested gluing with the plastic magic and it worked perfectly.

Graeme
pemberg
#27 Posted : 24 October 2013 20:00:15

Decided to start washing the sprues required for assembly of the rail cars - didn't realise how big a job this was going to be. Got the first bag out ('C' parts) and found there were 32 sprues (total of over 1200 parts Crying )and there are still 'A' and 'P' parts to do - and this is mainly just for the brake assemblies still got to look out the wheels etc.

Also took out one railcar bed to use to make sure of alignment of support bracket placement. The railcar bed is 525mm long before adding buffers.

It's going to take several sessions just to get the parts washed mainly due to lack of drying space.

Pics below show 1 sprue of 'C' parts and railcar bed.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
C sprue.jpg
railcar bed.jpg
snapdragon
#28 Posted : 26 October 2013 23:49:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have 2 Dora's.

Building the rail cars takes a lot of repetitive building and there is more detail than you realise!

Also you may have noticed that it is not the normal plastic that models are usually done in but ABS plastic. normal modellers cement will not do and you need an ABS plastic weld glue.

I did put together the rail bed just to see the size of the base and once together thought..... Where the heck do I put this.

I will follow your build with interest. Good luck and happy gluing!!!

James
jase
#29 Posted : 27 October 2013 00:02:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Also you may have noticed that it is not the normal plastic that models are usually done in but ABS plastic. normal modellers cement will not do and you need an ABS plastic weld glue.

Hi Snap, think the Glue has already been sorted if you read the posts above.

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
pemberg
#30 Posted : 27 October 2013 12:19:38

Jase, James - thanks for looking in.

Have started on assembling the brake units for the first railcar. All parts need some cleanup but not too bad.

This will be a long haul, I'm glad I am doing this as a fill-in project as it means I can do short bursts and not get too frustrated.

Graeme
brake components pt 1.jpg
brake pt 1 assembled.jpg
4 brake pt 1.jpg
pemberg
#31 Posted : 03 November 2013 14:13:39

Have made a bit more progress and completed the brake units for the first carriage. Slow going especially as the instructions can be misleading.

All the part numbers were correct but the diagrams are wrong in places. Part C24 has two locating pins but the diagram shows the part without them. I almost removed them when cleaning the part up but they looked as if they should be there and on checking the railcar bed found the locating holes for the part.

Some other parts are shown in one orientation on the exploded assembly diagram and differently on the assembled module so everything needs to be double checked before gluing.

Graeme

carriage 1-0.jpg
carriage 1-4.jpg
experten
#32 Posted : 03 November 2013 15:16:52

Groups: Registered, Official Builds

I also have this "little gem" but mine is a deep stash resident. I got it when it first came out, along with the aluminum barrel, and breech. I simply do not have the space to display it, and I was quite firmly told that a model of that size and type would never, ever be displayed in the living room. It is one of those kits of a subject I though I'd never see.

There is a VERY good book, long OOP on Dora by Motorbuch Verlag. "Eisenbahngeschutz Dora, Das grosste Geschutz aller Zeiten" by Gerhard Taube. The Taube volume is by far and away the best out there, but is stupid expensive. (I think I paid close to 200 bucks for my copy?)

Anyway, Have fun with your build! I will be living vicariously through you till you get it done.
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
delboy271155
#33 Posted : 03 November 2013 19:46:47

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Graeme,BigGrin

Please excuse my old brain Blushing , but, I`ve just done some searching via google and I`m astounded that the info I have got hold of says the 1:72 version, measures approx 43 inches long.

Now, as I understand it, yours is 1:35.

So, if I`m right (please tell me if I`m not) this monster you are building will be close on 7 foot long.

"AWESOME"

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

experten
#34 Posted : 03 November 2013 20:26:53

Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Delboy, that is indeed the case! That's why mine is still unbuilt! I dunno where Graeme is gonna put his but if he is married, I want to know what the line was that he used on his wife to get her to let him display it.
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
pemberg
#35 Posted : 03 November 2013 20:40:36

hi guys, yes its over 7ft long and I haven't got round to finding somewhere to put it yet - I'll cross that bridge when I come to itConfused Confused Confused .

I (we)did find somewhere for the Endeavour - in fact the wife was quite impressed with it. still got the Victory, D51 and Zero to home eventually as well lus numerous others in my stash.

Graeme
petpole
#36 Posted : 03 November 2013 21:52:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your building a bridge for it as well? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL .
Great start so far will be watching with interest.

Peter
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
jase
#37 Posted : 03 November 2013 21:58:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

pemberg wrote:
hi guys, yes its over 7ft long and I haven't got round to finding somewhere to put it yet - I'll cross that bridge when I come to itConfused Confused Confused .

I (we)did find somewhere for the Endeavour - in fact the wife was quite impressed with it. still got the Victory, D51 and Zero to home eventually as well lus numerous others in my stash.

Graeme

Looking like you need a builder for that much needed extensionLOL
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
pemberg
#38 Posted : 24 November 2013 14:30:41

Hi Jase, you could be right.

Just a few pics of the first railcar now finished and ready to paint. The 2 sub-assemblies are not screwed together yet for ease of painting.

I am awaiting a set of decals - they were dispatched a few days ago.

This will probably be the last update until the new year as I am working on the Zero just now and as son will be back from uni in a couple of weeks for Christmas and I have been using his room to store the parts.

Graeme
pemberg
#39 Posted : 24 November 2013 14:33:48

Sorry, computer hung. here are the pics
petpole
#40 Posted : 24 November 2013 14:37:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry graham still no pics.

Peter
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.