Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS.SURPRISE, by karl. Options
karl1113
#1 Posted : 23 October 2013 16:37:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

HMS Surprise

The frigate made famous by the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, in 1:48 scale

Build the HMS Surprise

HMS Surprise was originally built at Le Havre in 1794 as a 350-tonne, 32-gun corvette, but in 1796 it was captured by the British Navy and renamed HMS Surprise. She was re-armed and classified as a sixth-rate frigate.

She inspired the Aubrey-Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian and featured in the 2003 film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Artesania Latina worked together with the National Maritime Museum of London to create this model and has the exclusive copyright worldwide.

ModelSpace gives you the opportunity to buy this top quality model kit in a number of different ways, depending on your budget and spare modelling time. You can choose whether to buy the kit outright, or break down your kit into monthly instalments to spread out the cost.

If you choose to buy monthly, you will receive a full set of expanded step-by-step instructions to download at our download centre, along with a monthly magazine featuring the story behind HMS Surprise and articles covering the history of sail and seafarers. We will send you an email to let you know when these are ready for download.

With your fourth despatch you will receive a magnificent aluminium-cased tool kit FREE worth over £40! The items include:

Modellers drill
Drill bits
Round nosed pliers
Cutters
Nailer
2 metal files
Swan necked tweezers
Cutting tool & blades
Plank bend

This kit has been on my wish list for two years,I've finally got it,so I will do a weekly build diary, and it will all natural wood,although some may be stained,I will keep to the instruction,but may change some if I think it needs it.having got some of the other builds to new homes,I have managed to make enough room to house this one.
posts will start next monday. hope to see you then.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 23 October 2013 17:42:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jonny7england
#3 Posted : 23 October 2013 20:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to this one Karl...Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 23 October 2013 21:48:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Look forward to the build diary KarlCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

petpole
#5 Posted : 24 October 2013 00:22:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It's a good interesting and frustrating build Karl , and yes you build it to how you want it but you must plan ahead and the instructions are interesting to say the least, but I know with your skill all the little problems with the build will be ironed out very easily.
I can't wait for your build diary.

Peter

P.s. As regards the free kit I never received one with my subscription.

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
karl1113
#6 Posted : 02 November 2013 14:02:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thank you all for looking in, yes same here,no tools or freebees as yet.
bit more done,a load of sanding down of the formers, and planking done with a coat of sand sealer, I use white shellac sandsealer put on neat.
karl1113 attached the following image(s):
IMG_1093[1].jpg
IMG_1094[1].jpg
IMG_1096[1].jpg
IMG_1097[1].jpg
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

Foz
#7 Posted : 02 November 2013 14:30:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good their Karl. Look forward to your progress.

Regards

Foz
Dontshootme
#8 Posted : 02 November 2013 17:57:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good as always Karl,but may I be so bold as to ask a question.
In your last picture it looks as though the port side is twisted,is this an optical illusion,my eyes playing up or an actual twist?I only ask as I am never too sure of my judgement these days on what is square,level etc...lost my engineering eyes that could judge measurements to within a gnats doodaBlink
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
petpole
#9 Posted : 02 November 2013 19:39:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice build there Karl, your doing a cracking job as usual.
When you come to planking be careful of the saple wood it a peach to bend I found and snaps when it don't want to go where you want, it took me three goes to get it right.
Keep the pictures coming.

Peter
Builds in progress: HMS Victory.HMS Surprise.
Completed builds: Revell London Bus 1/24.
Builds to do:Sovereign of the seas, Hms Albion.
karl1113
#10 Posted : 03 November 2013 14:21:39

hi rob,it is an optical illusion/camera angle,here are a couple of extra pics which has a better angle.
karl1113 attached the following image(s):
IMG_1099[1].jpg
IMG_1098[1].jpg

tf64
#11 Posted : 03 November 2013 14:30:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Karl,
That last picture had me worried to,guess it is my age to,nice build Karl keep sending.
Reg Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Dontshootme
#12 Posted : 03 November 2013 17:33:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Glad to see that it was just an illusion(theres a song there somewhere!BigGrin )Now where did I put that number for specsavers?Blink
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
pemberg
#13 Posted : 03 November 2013 20:47:03

looking good Karl, I will be watching with interest as I am currently collecting this one to build when my current projects are complete.

Graeme