Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
San Felipe 1:30 Canon Dio Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 03 November 2013 18:23:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,

Saw this on Ebay and thought "give it a go".

Done some research via google and come up with a new price (when it was available) of approx £57.

Therefore looked at a max bid of £30

Got it for £17 + £4.50 p+p

Result Love

Here`s some pics of the purchase:Pics 1-2

Diary to follow, with all the others Confused

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
SanFelipe1_zps61c766ba.jpg
SanFelipe2_zps77f12912.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Foz
#2 Posted : 03 November 2013 18:52:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice find and look forward to the build.

Regards.

Foz
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 03 November 2013 19:12:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Foz wrote:
Nice find and look forward to the build.

Regards.

Foz

Hi Foz,BigGrin

Yep, I was well happy to get it at the price I did.

I was prepared to pay £30 + p+p as it is a rare kit.

(Couldn`t find it anywhere else)

Delivery expected about Wednesday, so will update on arrival.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Virtue86
#4 Posted : 04 November 2013 12:07:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

kind of glad i didn't bid on that now as i was watching it. The thought had crossed my mind. Will be interested to see this build log.
Cheers
Peter

Current builds: Amati 1:200 Hood; D51 200
Bought and on the waiting list: HMS Endeavour's Longboat, 1:90 San Juan Nepomuceno, Titanic Lifeboat,1:200 Bismarck Strip and Rebuild
[b]Built:1:250 Titanic

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 04 November 2013 15:45:43

Virtue86 wrote:
kind of glad i didn't bid on that now as i was watching it. The thought had crossed my mind. Will be interested to see this build log.

Hi Peter,BigGrin

Thanks for looking in.

I have purchased many items on ebay (not only modelling stuff) and always research the price first, then make up my mind the max I`m prepared to pay and stick to that figure.

I`ve seen used stuff go for close to the price for new and the buyer don`t get any warranty/guarantee, cos somewhere in the write up it only has to say "sold as seen".

Hope I can do this kit justice.

Will update soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Virtue86
#6 Posted : 05 November 2013 00:20:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm sure you will, it looks like good fun. Yeah I am always eBay hunting but should probably build some of my stock pile first Confused . I will keep looking in. All the best.
Cheers
Peter

Current builds: Amati 1:200 Hood; D51 200
Bought and on the waiting list: HMS Endeavour's Longboat, 1:90 San Juan Nepomuceno, Titanic Lifeboat,1:200 Bismarck Strip and Rebuild
[b]Built:1:250 Titanic

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 05 November 2013 00:27:56

Virtue86 wrote:
I'm sure you will, it looks like good fun. Yeah I am always eBay hunting but should probably build some of my stock pile first Confused . I will keep looking in. All the best.

Hi Peter,BigGrin

I`m hunting ebay for my retirement stock, (can afford it now, unlikely when I retire).

Still making a start on them all, so stay tuned and happy ebay hunting.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#8 Posted : 05 November 2013 19:31:22

Hi All,BigGrin

Well, purchased on Sunday and arrived today Tuesday (not bad eh).

Here`s a pic of the instructions.See pic below

This pic is of the total instructions (almost).

The written part of the instructions, are at the bottom of the page in the three columns. These three columns include the instructions in four languages.

There are also three more of the same on the other side of the page.

So, a bit of poetic licence may have to be applied if unable to fill in the gaps.

Kit parts look really good quality, so should be easy to work with.

More to follow.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
SanFelipe3_zpsbe4799c4.jpg

Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 05 November 2013 22:22:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Delboy

You should get a really good model out of that kit, I have three or four of them from a medieval 'field gun' to a 12lb chaser and French army cannon. They were all very good quality kits and made up into nice models. The only thing which let some of the other cannon kits down was the quality of the crew figures (the British Carronade looked like it had a crew of Orks!) From the look of the photo though yours don't look too bad at all.
Best of luck with the build!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 05 November 2013 22:34:05

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Delboy

You should get a really good model out of that kit, I have three or four of them from a medieval 'field gun' to a 12lb chaser and French army cannon. They were all very good quality kits and made up into nice models. The only thing which let some of the other cannon kits down was the quality of the crew figures (the British Carronade looked like it had a crew of Orks!) From the look of the photo though yours don't look too bad at all.
Best of luck with the build!

Robin

Hi Robin, BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look.

Have found a few issues with the kit, but nothing that can`t be sorted.

I was in the process of doing an update showing these issues, when photobucket went into meltdown for a site upgrade Cursing

Never mind tomorrow will do (Like I got a choice)LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 06 November 2013 21:22:52

Hi All, BigGrin

Well as stated in post 10 here comes the:

"GOOD, BAD AND UGLY BITS"

There are three panels for the decking.

So, I have three panels rather than fifteen planks for the base section.

Possibilities:

Turn 3 panels into 15 planks, add caulking and tree nailing.

My thought now is "No" as it will detract from the main item of the build the Cannon.

So three panels it will be.

Next issue then is colour of panels, not the same ConfusedPic 1

So, out came the "natural oak satin stain", it does what it says on the tin Blink

Only applied one coat and fixed the outside framework.

And here`s the result.Pic 2

Now, a couple of the better points.

The figurines look pretty good on the detail side, only problem is that they have bases and on the main box picture they are painted a pale green sort of colour (must have moss on the deck - ain`t been scrubbed eh).

So, when painted the bases I think will have to go, albeit very carefully as the metal looks very brittle.Pic 3

Now the cannon barrel I am pleased with and comes with an add on of a coat of arms badge.Pic 4

It was at this point that I thought everything was bobbing along nicely.

Oh how wrong can one be. Crying

Started looking at the gun carriage parts and the smelly stuff hit the fan.

Wheels, axles - Ok
Carriage centre parts and elevation wedge - Ok

Crying Crying Carriage sides - Missing Crying Crying

This kit was sealed when I received it and out of production, so ?

Dug back into the 1972 Tech drawing lessons and came up with this plan.Pic 5

I drew round the actual cannon barrel and noted where the carriage sides changed relative to the barrel in the picture I had and came up with the above.

Next step is to make two carriage sides from balsa and see how they come out.

If they are ok then I will make some from the correct materials.

Now I have a question.

The carriage sides look like they are of the same wood as the base surrounds and I have no idea what sort of wood that is, so does anyone have a clue what sort of wood will come out about the same as the base surround in the earlier pic?

Here`s hoping,BigGrin

That`s all for now.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

SanFelipe4_zps1f0babae.jpg
SanFelipe5_zps3b4a1e26.jpg
SanFelipe6_zps53a2d6c5.jpg
SanFelipe7_zpsb2f0ac20.jpg
SanFelipe8_zps912167aa.jpg

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 08 November 2013 18:15:25

Hi All,BigGrin

Here`s an update to the above issue of the missing carriage sides.

Having made a 1:1 template on paper, I cut it out and coloured it black so it showed up better on the balsa.Pic 1

The thickness of balsa chosen was 10 mm, that was 1.5 mm wider than the caps that hold down the barrel spindles.

With the balsa chosen, I marked around the template.Pic 2

The reason that I chose balsa is that this is a trial before making the real thing.
Working with balsa is so much quicker and easier to make adjustments. You then know how much to adjust the pattern by.

Here`s a couple of pics of the two temporary carriage sides.Pic 3-4

The angle of the cannon can be adjusted by the rear wedge block, but still had to make sure the cannon passed through the gun port correctly.Pic 5

That`s Cool

So this is how the cannon will sit on the dio base when the proper carriage sides have been made.Pic 6

Well that`s all for now.

Happy Building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
SanFelipe9_zps14c49131.jpg
SanFelipe10_zps278bee1d.jpg
SanFelipe11_zpsf807adab.jpg
SanFelipe12_zpsc52954e6.jpg
SanFelipe13_zpsfefbaab9.jpg
SanFelipe14_zpsa81f205a.jpg

stevie_o
#13 Posted : 08 November 2013 20:29:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good Del, must have been a shock when you realized the sides wernt there!
These dark wood parts in kits are generally walnut, why not buy a nice thick chunk from CMB and make them from that, should do the trick.
Steve
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 08 November 2013 20:57:40

stevie_o wrote:
Looking good Del, must have been a shock when you realized the sides wernt there!
These dark wood parts in kits are generally walnut, why not buy a nice thick chunk from CMB and make them from that, should do the trick.
Steve

Hi Steve,BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look and the advise.

It was a bit of a shock that the two parts were missing, especially as the whole issue was still shrink wrapped and the wrap was still totally intact.

Nowhere for the parts to escape!!! Confused Confused

Well Hey Ho, think I`ve got the solution.

As for the wood, I have had a look at some stains today and you are correct it is very much like walnut and I will see what CMB have to offer, but it does need to be 9-10 mm thick, so will see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#15 Posted : 08 November 2013 21:03:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

CMB do up to 6mm but, you could laminate two 5mm parts, the strips are 1 metre x 100mm so plenty of wood to cut out 4 of them.

Or...you could just use walnut veneer and cover over the parts made from cheap woodBigGrin
Steve
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 08 November 2013 21:49:11

stevie_o wrote:
CMB do up to 6mm but, you could laminate two 5mm parts, the strips are 1 metre x 100mm so plenty of wood to cut out 4 of them.

Or...you could just use walnut veneer and cover over the parts made from cheap woodBigGrin
Steve

Cheers Steve,BigGrin

I`ve been searching CMB also.

They do a 10 mm x 10 mm

and the 5 mm x 5 mm

If I use two 10 x 10 x 54
then two 5 x 5 x 54

I can get the required size of 54 x 25 x 10

Magic Love

Not magic Cursing under the minimum order value.

I`m going to the International model boat show on Sunday in Leamington Spa, so will see what I can find there.

If not it`s CMB and I`ll have some wood for my stock.LOL LOL

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#17 Posted : 08 November 2013 22:06:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Some really nice work there Derek, going to make a very attractive display.... Will keep watching...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 08 November 2013 22:13:49

Gandale wrote:
Some really nice work there Derek, going to make a very attractive display.... Will keep watching...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,BigGrin

Thanks for taking a look and the kind comments.

This is a bit of a brain resting exercise.

Nothing to technical, but a bit of finishing experience to be gained
and a fun build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

arpurchase
#19 Posted : 09 November 2013 01:36:14

BigGrin Hi Del
Looks like your sorting this one ok. One thing to remember is, say your after 5mm but can only get 4mm when its built it will look the same to most peeps and only the rivet counters with the slide rules will give a dam or knock it. Hope you get it sorted
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#20 Posted : 09 November 2013 11:58:00

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Del
Looks like your sorting this one ok. One thing to remember is, say your after 5mm but can only get 4mm when its built it will look the same to most peeps and only the rivet counters with the slide rules will give a dam or knock it. Hope you get it sorted
regards
AndyCool

Hi Andy,BigGrin

Yep thanks, seem to have it sorted.

Will just see if I can find anything at the show and if not I know CMB can supply my needs.

Thanks for taking a look.

Now, 1 rivet, 2 rivets, 3 rivets LOL LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)