Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

eoinkm build Options
eoinkm
#1 Posted : 12 July 2010 18:53:22

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I've finally got around to sharing some images of my build.
I'm a brand new modeler and this is my very first build. Any comments and suggestions would be very welcome.

Since it is my first build I have decided to stick to the guide that is provided. I won't be adding any extra details. I am also sticking with the natural finish. I don't have any experience in painting let alone model painting and I believe that if I attempted to paint I would just make a mess of it. Hopefully my natural finishes will be sufficient.

In this post there will be many pictures so I apologise in advance. Hopefully from now on I will have the opportunity to post pictures as I build on a more regular basis.

Planking was so difficult. I'm quite happy with the result though considering.

As you can see I have place the Keel in place on the Launch however you can see the problem I have. Any suggestions in how to recover from this? I still have to stain the keel.

That's all for now, actually that's quite a lot of photos.
Thank you all in advance for any advice you give and thank you for taking the time to follow my build.

Eoin
CMB
#2 Posted : 12 July 2010 19:21:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi eoinkin,
Like you this is my first boat build and I have found it very different to building model planes/gliders.
I had a very similar problem with my launch build and solved it by using small scraps/offcuts of the planking glued into place to fill the depression. You will have to use 2/3 short lengths one one top of the other to build up the shape. When dry carefully sand back to reshape the hull. Slow but worth the effort and then you can remove the surplus material from the inside if you think it will show when the launch is complete.My effort came out pretty well and I am now at the stage of fitting the interior launch components.
I hope this is helpful and good luck with your build
Regards
CMB
Jack Sparrow
#3 Posted : 12 July 2010 19:32:28

Groups:

I found that fitting the keel first and then applying the second planks was a better idea. Otherwise they held the keel out.BigGrin Good build so far though, just one small thing.......I think your anchor stock is upside down.Blushing BigGrin
eoinkm
#4 Posted : 12 July 2010 19:45:26

You're absolutely right, lol....how did I not notice that Blushing
Thanks for the tips guys
Jack Sparrow
#5 Posted : 12 July 2010 20:18:57

Groups:

Rest of the build is looking really good though!!!BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Tiswas
#6 Posted : 12 July 2010 20:46:03

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking good eoinkim, keep up the good work.
TIS
Capt Stedders
#7 Posted : 12 July 2010 21:30:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

If it's any consolation, I managed to glue the stock facing in the same direction as the pointy bits..

Blushing

Fortunately I noticed.

All looking good so far - I'll second CMB's suggestion oh using offcuts to 'fill' gaps - It is likely that, after any engagement, some repairs would need to be made, and since the Royal Navy didn't have access to P40 in those days, i guess they may have patched the wood. Besides, if you do it neatly enough, it shouldn't stand out that much.

Great work.

Keep it coming!

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

willz
#8 Posted : 13 July 2010 01:48:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

looking good, keep up the photo`s