Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

First pack Options
ZING444
#1 Posted : 14 November 2013 01:36:50

Groups: Registered

LAST NIGHT I RECEIVED MY FIRST LOCOMOTIVE KIT AND I MUST SAY I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE PACKAGING. THE BUILD IS VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD AND I'M ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH THE BUILDS. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE JUST GREAT AND TOGETHER WITH THIS SITE, IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO MAKE ANY BIG BLUNDERS. MANY THANKS TO THE AUTHOR OF THIS SITE. DON ESFELD BigGrin
jase
#2 Posted : 14 November 2013 07:50:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Don and welcome to the forum.

Totally agree with you, And if you do make a mistake it is easy to strip back and correct.

Looking forward to seeing some picks of your progress.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#3 Posted : 14 November 2013 11:57:42

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace Don, and enjoy your build. Cool
experten
#4 Posted : 14 November 2013 16:23:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hi Don,

It is great to see another US member building! The D51 is certainly one of the most impressive models DeAgostini makes. I had the pleasure of seeing the prototype a month or so ago at the iHobby show. It is VERY impressive when it is all together!

If you have any pictures, we'd love to see them!

Enjoy your build.

Mark
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 14 November 2013 17:42:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Don
Firstly welcome to the forum and secondly nice choice of model, you will find loads of help on here and can I point you in the direction of the gauge decals produced for us on here by Roy , link below
'
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=8195

regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ZING444
#6 Posted : 15 November 2013 01:46:19

jase wrote:

Totally agree with you, And if you do make a mistake it is easy to strip back and correct.

Jase

ZING444
#7 Posted : 15 November 2013 01:48:44

ZING444 wrote:
jase wrote:

Jase

Jase. Just in case an error is made, tell me about "stripping back and correct". How is this done using super glue and epoxy? Zing444@aol.com
ZING444
#8 Posted : 15 November 2013 01:54:02

Jase. Just in case I did not do the reply correctly I am doing it again. You mentioned that if a mistake is made in building the D51, the error can be corrected easily = please detail for me How. I am using epoxy and quick drying glues. Thanks for your response. Don
jase
#9 Posted : 15 November 2013 08:27:37

ZING444 wrote:
Jase. Just in case I did not do the reply correctly I am doing it again. You mentioned that if a mistake is made in building the D51, the error can be corrected easily = please detail for me How. I am using epoxy and quick drying glues. Thanks for your response. Don - Zing444@aol.com

Best practice is to test assemble without adhesive first to check that all the moving parts are free moving, that you understand alignment and building sequence and that you are using the correct bushes screws etc. If you have made any mistakes you will pick it up at this point and it is easy to correct. Although the instructions are very clear it is easy to make a mistake in some of the more complex areas like the suspension, I have certainly missed bushes and then gone back to correct.

I am assembling without adhesive first to understand areas to paint and weather then I will be stripping down to paint. Only once your sure you are not having to strip down the parts should you use adhesive as some later issues require you to disassemble parts to fit new ones such as fitting the expansion links.

Hope you understand my comment more clearly.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
experten
#10 Posted : 18 November 2013 02:29:34

Hi Don,

Since it is all metal, and the adhesives used both dissolve when exposed to Acetone, just soak the offending parts for a while. Overnight usually completely dissolves any bond, and you are back to square one. Be careful though, this will also strip the paint right off of the lovely number plate on the boiler! I haven't had to do this with my D51, but my Zero has enjoyed any number of nice long soaks!

HTH.
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
MTHJim
#11 Posted : 25 January 2014 04:30:52

Hello All,

Just made the purchase online for the D51 after receiving an E-mail today about it, offering free shipping. I had looked at this a month ago but could not pull the trigger however this enticement was it!. Looking forward to the project and the timing to allow me to continue on my other hobbies, mainly Live Steam outdoor railroading and indoor HO trains. I will spend a bit of time reviewing this site and picking up hints etc. As I am in the USA wondering where to look for suggested adhesives to use etc.

Plan to share my work and certainly take hints and insight from those who are willing to share.
Jim
experten
#12 Posted : 25 January 2014 04:46:28

Hi Jim,

First, WELCOME!

You will really enjoy the D51. I have been building it for quite a while, and it is as nice and as well packaged all the way through.

The adhesive I am using almost exclusively is "Perma Poxy" a 4 min Multi-metal epoxy. I purchased it from Amazon. I don't really trust CA, and except for locking threads, I am not using it.

The nice thing about this kit, and using the above adhesive, or CA, is that if you screw up, you can solve all your problems with an over-night soak in Acetone. (your D51, not you!)

Enjoy your build, please post pictures, and please, please be chatty!

Tired, Old, and Cranky!
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 25 January 2014 08:54:37

BigGrin Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum, I have used super glue and epoxy for most of my build without any problems and a small tube of thread lock for any nuts/bolts.
Im sure we would be interested in a build diary if you intend to put one up and also how about some pic's of your layouts both indoor and outdoor
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#14 Posted : 25 January 2014 09:50:29

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace Jim Cool
jase
#15 Posted : 25 January 2014 11:34:55

Welcome to the form Jim, you just bought into a fantastic kitBigGrin

jase
-Mark Twain
MTHJim
#16 Posted : 25 January 2014 14:24:59

Thanks for the input and salutations everyone! Sure I can post some pics soon. The build will be a little while off as order was just done but could post some of the Live Steam railroad underway as the first 200' are down and the basement layout as well. Both projects are recent starts as well although the bench work for the HO layout is complete the track work has been slow with only a 100' or so down so far. I would ask if its appropriate to post them here though?
Tomick
#17 Posted : 25 January 2014 14:31:08

Groups:

Post them into this section and thanks for sharing.

http://forum.model-space....aspx?g=topics&f=44
MTHJim
#18 Posted : 25 January 2014 14:46:44

I will need to set up a host for my pictures. Any suggestions?

Update I used the file upload option.

Look for "MTHJims other builds" in this chat forum.

Thank you,
Jim