Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
Malc's Yardley Mclaren M23 build Options
RM1
#41 Posted : 06 December 2014 11:59:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks for looking in Kev. Really appreciate the comments.BigGrin
I didn't get the '74 Fittipaldi 1/12 kit in the end but managed to get the square airbox and sloping rear wing from Macs models. I reckon that should be about right for the debut Hulme car.
Planning on getting 1/20 '74 and '76 championship winning cars to add to the collection.
I hope you can continue the 1/20 MP4/4 with the top studio super detail kit that you started last year.Cool
Malc.

ModelMania
#42 Posted : 06 December 2014 12:38:11

Groups:

Hello Malc,

So nice to chat F1 modelling with you again!!

That's a shame about the Fittipaldi car, but I have to say that I think the 'Yardley' M23 is still better looking and it's great that you went ahead and got the resin airbox and wing from Mac's Models - they are an improvement and I'll look forward to watching what you do with them later in your build. The 1:20 championship cars will be a very cool addition to your collection as well and you'll soon own more McLarens than Ron Dennis at this rate!! Cool Cool

Re my 1:20 MP4/4 with the Top Studio 'Super-Detail' set, I still have it (wouldn't ever sell it anyway) and I thought about reinstating the build under my new username, since apart from showing the kit and bits under my old 'SennaMentalMe' label, I hadn't actually started any of the building on it at the time and still haven't. When I first bought it, I actually did so because I'd heard that the DeAgostini 1:8 MP4/4 could be coming to the UK and nice as the basic DeAg model is, I love adding extra detail to my builds, so I thought that as there was so much extra detail in the 'Top Studio' kit, what I could do was to invest in the Top Studio set, then keep it unmade until the DeAg 1:8 kit arrived and use the 1:20 detail parts as reference, then by scaling them up and scratch building new parts, I could add them to the bigger DeAg car to make that super-detailed - which is why I'm holding off building the 1:20 at the moment as I don't want to build the smaller 1:20 kit and then not be able to measure the individual parts for resizing to 1:8 scale?

I didn't actually subscribe to the DeAg MP4/4 when it was first released here some months ago, even though I desperately wanted to and had done since I first heard about it, as I was having a lot of trouble at home and in my personal life, and couldn't really commit to subscribing during that period, but all has settled down again now and I have just subscribed to it by taking advantage of the recent DeAg "First pack for a £1" offer - what a result!! Still waiting for my first delivery to arrive and then I'll likely wait a while longer and collect more parts before I start to rebuild some of them with added detail, at which time I'll probably start a Build Diary for it on here? As soon as I have something worthwhile to show then I'll open the diary.

I hope you are eventually able to get the DeAg MP4/4 in South Africa and assume that you would be subscribing to it as well, given your penchant for all things McLaren ??

I will, as I said in my earlier post, be getting the Tamiya 1:12 Martini Brabham BT44 in the new year, so that's one to look forward to and will likely lead to me buying more 1:12 F1 kits after that as well!! I had the whole Tamiya 1:12 F1 range of kits as and when they were first released back in the '70s and '80s, but alas they all disappeared over time (young and stupid back them), but watching your 'Yardley' M23 build has inspired me to start building them again Malc so I have to say thanks to you for the inspiration and watch this space over the coming months and years!!

All the best Malc, great to chat!!

Kev BigGrin

RM1
#43 Posted : 10 December 2014 16:28:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Kev.
Great to chat F1 models again.
I really like the idea of you taking the details from the Top studio kit and scaling them up to suit the 1/8 DeAg 4/4. That's a diary that I will follow very closely hoping that in the not too distant future the Senna model will reach our shores.
Now that I've finished the MP4/23 (and it's safely in the Finished build gallery)BigGrin BigGrin I've put a 1/20 MP4/4 kit on the shelf waiting to follow the M23 and I'm about to order kits for the 1976 M23 and 1998 MP4/5b. My theme is clearly Mclaren drivers championship carsBigGrin . There is a good looking Tamiya 1/12 MP4/6 kit which I would like to get but that doesn't seem available right now.
Looking forward to that Brabham build. That car's got interesting sloping sides to the bodywork. An early Gorden Murray design I think?
Cheers for now.BigGrin
Malc.
RM1
#44 Posted : 13 December 2014 15:40:22

I've had a go at using Alclad2BigGrin tried it out on some plastic spoons and found the best finish seems to be on a black enamel. I couldn't get the Alclad2 black base coat so I used Humbrol thinned at about 50/50.
Looks like I can make my own silver service!Cool
RM1
#45 Posted : 13 December 2014 15:40:35

I've had a go at using Alclad2BigGrin tried it out on some plastic spoons and found the best finish seems to be on a black enamel. I couldn't get the Alclad2 black base coat so I used Humbrol black enamel thinned at about 50/50.
Looks like I can make my own silver service!Cool
RM1 attached the following image(s):
m23-71.jpg
RM1
#46 Posted : 13 December 2014 15:43:09

Tried a Chrome spray on the roll hoop. Really pleased with it. A more subtle chrome look than the Standard Tamiya Chromed parts.
m23-72.jpg
ModelMania
#47 Posted : 13 December 2014 17:13:06

Groups:

Superb work there Malc, the Alclad looks perfect and you've picked up that technique so quickly - it looks like you've been using the stuff for years!!

Looking forward to some of those 1:20 builds if you decide to post them? I notice you have the 1:20 James Hunt 1976 M23 in your 'to do' list? I still have the half built one that I put up a diary for when I was posting under my old 'SennaMentalMe' username and I'm planning on resurrecting that build again now that I'm back, so watch this space?! ThumpUp

That Tamiya 1:12 Senna/Berger MP4/6 is a beautiful kit. I owned it some years ago when it was first released and I also had the full 'Perfect Parts' super-detail set for it (a bit like the 'Top Studio' sets but in 1:12?), the 'Marlboro' decals for it and a really good resin Senna figure which I imported from the US (not the normal average looking figure that you can still buy), it was a short run superbly sculpted figure with a stunningly accurate likeness to Senna. Unfortunately, had to sell the whole lot, kit, parts, decals and figure about 5 years ago as I got into a serious financial difficulty and I needed the money quite bad, so never got to build it I'm afraid and now the 'Perfect Parts' set is as rare as hens' teeth nowadays and the US guy no longer produces the figures. You can still find the 1:12 MP4/6 in the UK occasionally, though very expensive now!! Crying Sad

All the best Malc, keep posting and I'll keep watching?! CoolThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
RM1
#48 Posted : 31 December 2014 15:53:55

The Xmas festivities are over and it's time to do a little more on the M23 BigGrin . I've completed the monocoque which all seemed to snap together quite nicely.
m23-73.jpg
m23-74.jpg
RM1
#49 Posted : 01 January 2015 08:58:46

I'm going to try to put a bit of detail into the model by means of cables and hoses. I've prepared a few of the pumps, tanks etc. that get fitted to the top of the fuel tank. Also made a start on the instrument cluster. I'm pleased with the chrome bezels on the dials. very tricky masking and spraying.
m23-75.jpg
m23-76.jpg
RM1
#50 Posted : 01 January 2015 09:04:36

The power unit is attached, difficult to get the lower engine mounts correctly connected at the same time as the upper brackets.
m23-78.jpg
m23-79.jpg
RM1
#51 Posted : 01 January 2015 09:10:40

Nose cone frame attached and battery wiring completeBigGrin I made up a couple of seat harness shoulder strap mounts from spare photo-etch sheet.
m23-80.jpg
m23-81.jpg
m23-82.jpg
Warthog
#52 Posted : 01 January 2015 10:26:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Beautiful work MalcLove

Spence
arpurchase
#53 Posted : 01 January 2015 10:34:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Top work MalcCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#54 Posted : 01 January 2015 10:44:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

A little fiddly in places Malc but your efforts produce quality work.... looking great....Cool BigGrin Cool

Regards

Alan
ModelMania
#55 Posted : 01 January 2015 16:57:19

Groups:

Superb work as always Malc, love watching this build as much as your others and I think it'll be another stunner when completed so keep the updates coming when you can, I really look forward to them!!CoolDroolThumpUp

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones in South Africa Malc, hope you have a great 2015 full of all things McLaren!! ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
dandare
#56 Posted : 01 January 2015 17:06:01

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Malc, superb job, she looks fantastic

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
RM1
#57 Posted : 03 January 2015 14:19:14

Hi guys, many thanks for all the encouraging comments.It certainly is fiddly ! Mellow I think I would struggle with a smaller scale. I was thinking about the 1/20 super detail kit for the Mclaren MP4/4 (the Tamiya 1/20 MP4/4 is my next build) but that may be a kit to far....
Malc.
RM1
#58 Posted : 03 January 2015 14:21:30

ModelMania wrote:
Superb work as always Malc, love watching this build as much as your others and I think it'll be another stunner when completed so keep the updates coming when you can, I really look forward to them!!CoolDroolThumpUp

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones in South Africa Malc, hope you have a great 2015 full of all things McLaren!! ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin

Hi Kev. Happy new year to you as well. I hope 2015 will be a really good one BigGrin . Looking forward to seeing your builds in the next couple of months.
Malc.

RM1
#59 Posted : 03 January 2015 14:27:04

The pictures that I have of the original M23 are mainly of the Phil Mugen owned car and I suspect that quite a few alterations have been made to the plumbing over the years. The general arrangement of pipes and fittings over the fuel tank is a real jumble.
I've added a line from the fuel pump and a return into the top of the tank. Also a hose from the water header tank that's on the right of the large oil swirl tank. ( I think that's what it is ).
Malc.
m23-83.jpg
m23-84.jpg
m23-85.jpg
RM1
#60 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:34:40

I experimented with a few ways of making the Hydraulic fittings but ended up buying these and spray painting with TS 36 , Fluorescent red. pleased with the result.BigGrin
m23-89.jpg
m23-90.jpg
m23-91.jpg