Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<23456>»
Malc's Yardley Mclaren M23 build Options
Nemesis
#61 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:36:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Amazing attention to detail, very well done that man!!BigGrin BigGrin
RM1
#62 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:38:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I've now got most of the hoses around the engine. The gearbox oil cooler piping is my best guess as I'm putting on the slanting rear wing and the arrangement is different from the kit instructions.
RM1 attached the following image(s):
m23-86.jpg
m23-87.jpg
m23-88.jpg
RM1
#63 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:46:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nemesis wrote:
Amazing attention to detail, very well done that man!!BigGrin BigGrin

Thanks...They say that the devil is in the detail ! I now believe it..BigGrin .
RM1
#64 Posted : 17 January 2015 15:49:05

Attention now turns to the instrument clusterBigGrin . I'm still working out a wiring arrangement but have started with the rev's cable and pressure hoses.
m23-92.jpg
m23-93.jpg
m23-94.jpg
Warthog
#65 Posted : 17 January 2015 17:18:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Stunning stuff MalcDrool

Spencer
davetwin
#66 Posted : 17 January 2015 17:43:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome work Malc, that engine looks amazing, not to mention the detail on the dials
ModelMania
#67 Posted : 17 January 2015 20:13:51

Groups:

Beautiful work Malc, I am seriously impressed and it comes across as being a real 'labour of love for you' my friend!! Drool Love ThumpUp

As far as the oil cooler plumbing goes, I think you've got it about right? Who's to say it's wrong anyway as they very often changed things from race to race back in the '70s and you would likely find two M23s in the same team even that weren't identical, so I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about it as long as it looks believable and you don't invite a rivet counter around to your house to have a look at it, you should be fine!! Cool BigGrin

I believe those aftermarket braided hoses that you've used are hollow and tubular aren't they? If so, it might be worth inserting some electrical cable (white would be best so it doesn't show through the braid easily) through it or you could use some heavy duty clear fishing line of the right diameter? You could even paint the cable or fishing line silver before inserting and then you would find it extremely hard to notice through the braid at all? Using the braid as a sleeve over the cable would stop the braid from flattening out or kinking at a bend and make it look more round in profile and therefore more realistic? Hope that helps?

Really looking forward to your next update Malc, it's a pleasure watching your F1 builds!! Drool Cool ThumpUp

Kev BigGrin
stevie_o
#68 Posted : 17 January 2015 20:39:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gandale
#69 Posted : 17 January 2015 23:14:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great work on show here, your attention to detail is superb.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RM1
#70 Posted : 20 January 2015 16:31:07

I believe those aftermarket braided hoses that you've used are hollow and tubular aren't they? If so, it might be worth inserting some electrical cable (white would be best so it doesn't show through the braid easily) through it or you could use some heavy duty clear fishing line of the right diameter? You could even paint the cable or fishing line silver before inserting and then you would find it extremely hard to notice through the braid at all? Using the braid as a sleeve over the cable would stop the braid from flattening out or kinking at a bend and make it look more round in profile and therefore more realistic? Hope that helps?

Hi Kev,
Great idea, why didn't I think of that Confused The braiding is hollow and the thin fishing line idea or fine metal wire will support the tube and stop it kinking. Will give it a go.BigGrin
Nemesis
#71 Posted : 20 January 2015 17:07:40

Can I ask where you got the scale braided hose from?
ModelMania
#72 Posted : 20 January 2015 21:21:28

Groups:

Nemesis wrote:

Sorry to jump ahead of you Malc, but just wanted to say - Daran you can get the braided sleeving along with loads of other useful miniature parts from a UK company here:

http://prime-miniatures.co.uk/home

Hope that helps you Daran?

You can also find loads of other useful Motor Modelling websites (though some may be obsolete by now?) in the 'Cyber Garage' which I started about three years ago under my old username and which can still be found here:

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=3108

Hope that helps also?

Sorry to hijack your build thread Malc, if it isn't appropriate then just PM me and I'll remove it?

All the best,

Kev Smile
ModelMania
#73 Posted : 20 January 2015 22:18:52

Groups:

RM1 wrote:
Hi Kev,

Great idea, why didn't I think of that Confused The braiding is hollow and the thin fishing line idea or fine metal wire will support the tube and stop it kinking. Will give it a go.BigGrin

Hello Malc,

Not sure if you misunderstood what I meant but you don't want the fishing line to be too thin or the wire to be too fine, whichever you use, the idea is not just to have an internal support for the braided sleeve, but more akin to the braiding being a kind of slightly loose fitting 'sock' over whatever internal material you use? It needs to be fairly close to the internal diameter of the braided sleeving though not a tight fit obviously and it also needs to be flexible enough to bend to any shape, obviously?

It helps if you can round the ends of the internal wire or fishing line so that you can thread it through and it doesn't catch on the inside of the braid? It also helps if you leave a little protruding at each end (2-3mm) so that you can then drill a similar diameter hole in the fittings or whatever you want to join the hoses to, and thus get a stronger joint between the two than if you just glued them together as a 'butting' joint - a bit like a locating pin and hole that you get in plastic kits when you join two halves together?

Thick soldering wire is another useful material for the task if you can find the bigger commercially used diameters, like the sort that plumbers use on the bigger jobs or just twist together several strands of a smaller diameter to fill the braided sleeve's diameter? Or you could even use string? There are loads of materials you could use as long as it gives a round profile to the hose and not flat or kinked?

Hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin

arpurchase
#74 Posted : 20 January 2015 22:37:58

BigGrin Wire for fishing traces has a clear plastic coating or the wire used to make jewelry with the black plastic coating ,bought on a spool so you cut off what you need is another source of this type of materialCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RM1
#75 Posted : 21 January 2015 08:08:13

ModelMania wrote:
RM1 wrote:
Hi Kev,

Hello Malc,

Not sure if you misunderstood what I meant but you don't want the fishing line to be too thin or the wire to be too fine, whichever you use, the idea is not just to have an internal support for the braided sleeve, but more akin to the braiding being a kind of slightly loose fitting 'sock' over whatever internal material you use? It needs to be fairly close to the internal diameter of the braided sleeving though not a tight fit obviously and it also needs to be flexible enough to bend to any shape, obviously?

It helps if you can round the ends of the internal wire or fishing line so that you can thread it through and it doesn't catch on the inside of the braid? It also helps if you leave a little protruding at each end (2-3mm) so that you can then drill a similar diameter hole in the fittings or whatever you want to join the hoses to, and thus get a stronger joint between the two than if you just glued them together as a 'butting' joint - a bit like a locating pin and hole that you get in plastic kits when you join two halves together?

Thick soldering wire is another useful material for the task if you can find the bigger commercially used diameters, like the sort that plumbers use on the bigger jobs or just twist together several strands of a smaller diameter to fill the braided sleeve's diameter? Or you could even use string? There are loads of materials you could use as long as it gives a round profile to the hose and not flat or kinked?

Hope that helps?

Kev BigGrin

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the extra advice. You're quite right that the inner wire support must be a neat fit in the braid.That way it will give a nice cylindrical form to the hose. The trick is to find that perfect size of wire or line.

RM1
#76 Posted : 21 January 2015 09:42:57

ModelMania wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Sorry to jump ahead of you Malc, but just wanted to say - Daran you can get the braided sleeving along with loads of other useful miniature parts from a UK company here:

http://prime-miniatures.co.uk/home

Hope that helps you Daran?

You can also find loads of other useful Motor Modelling websites (though some may be obsolete by now?) in the 'Cyber Garage' which I started about three years ago under my old username and which can still be found here:

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=3108

Hope that helps also?

Sorry to hijack your build thread Malc, if it isn't appropriate then just PM me and I'll remove it?

All the best,

Kev Smile

No problem Kev, Your information and knowledge is always welcomeBigGrin
RM1
#77 Posted : 21 January 2015 09:45:29

Nemesis wrote:

Hi Nemesis, I see that Kev has given you a link to find the braided hose. I actually got a T2M product from "bestbalsa".

Cheers

Malc.

ModelMania
#78 Posted : 21 January 2015 12:47:30

Groups:

RM1 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Hi Nemesis, I see that Kev has given you a link to find the braided hose. I actually got a T2M product from "bestbalsa".

Cheers

Malc.

Hello Malc,

I've bought a couple of items from the guy who owns that 'bestbalsakits' site in Belgium, but his prices are a bit on the high side - usually 20-30% more expensive - compared to others? Might be worth you checking out the 'Prime-miniatures' UK based company in my link as I know they ship worldwide and I'm sure they are cheaper than 'bestbalsakits' even after you include post and packing?

Kev BigGrin

RM1
#79 Posted : 21 January 2015 14:15:01

ModelMania wrote:
RM1 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:

Cheers

Malc.

Hello Malc,

I've bought a couple of items from the guy who owns that 'bestbalsakits' site in Belgium, but his prices are a bit on the high side - usually 20-30% more expensive - compared to others? Might be worth you checking out the 'Prime-miniatures' UK based company in my link as I know they ship worldwide and I'm sure they are cheaper than 'bestbalsakits' even after you include post and packing?

Kev BigGrin

HI Kev, you're absolutely correct, the BBK prices can be on the higher side. I purchased the braided hose some while ago before I found Prime-miniatures Glare . Will definitely try them in the future. BigGrin

Malc.
RM1
#80 Posted : 24 January 2015 15:59:37

I must stop obsessing with the wiring and plumbing. Luckily it's just about how I want itBigGrin
m23-95.jpg
m23-95a.jpg
m23-96.jpg
m23-97.jpg