Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

simple scrach built grapple for the launch. Options
jase
#1 Posted : 18 July 2010 00:29:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

There has been much debate about the launch anchor or to use a grapple and if so best one to get and from where. well this is my answer and i think it is a really easy option.

The basis of my scratch build is wire. I have a tin full of the stuff if you don't have it then you will be able to buy some from a garden center or florist.

stage 1
I selected some wire that looked right gage wise and cut four lengths. Then i formed each piece into a 'U' shape using the supplied anchor as a guide to size. one done i cut the two ends straight and filed a point onto one end. once done i arranged all four pieces in blu-tack ready to be cemented together.

Stage 2

A small blob of super glue was used to fix the 'u' hooks together. next I added the shaft. I used some scrap white metal but you could use anything that does the job plastic rod, thicker wire, anything that you can glue! I then placed a small beed of green stuff ( any epoxy filler will do) and pushed the shaft in to make a hole. once the green stuff set i put a drop of glue into the hole and fixed the shaft in place. once set i gently shaped the green stuff with a needle file

Stage 3

to make the rope eye I took another piece of wire (this time cut from a resister harvested from a DVD player before chucking out)I formed this into a hoop using round nosed pliers pressing into shape against my cutting matt. once done this was glued upon the top of the shaft

stage 4

once dry the complete grapple was given an undercoat of humbrol pale gray. the top coat is admiral metal black

job done and very easy even if you are not accustomed to scratch building

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Boaz
#2 Posted : 18 July 2010 02:51:16

Now where did I put that tin of spair wireConfused Confused

Nice one jase

Bob
Zeptrader
#3 Posted : 18 July 2010 08:33:03

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Superb Jase, well bloody done mate.

I'll do that for myself I think, nothing to loose.

I see another topic in the index section 'Scratch Building Parts'
dtgray
#4 Posted : 18 July 2010 08:52:32

Excellent piece of scratch building Jase, well done BigGrin
Regards,

David

Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 18 July 2010 09:22:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Looks good to me, I was thinking on those lines but had been putting it off. No excuses now! It is great to get inspiration from others!

Mike T
Zeptrader
#6 Posted : 18 July 2010 09:27:06

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Sorry I forgot to ask, what's the size in mm? the finished size that is.
jase
#7 Posted : 18 July 2010 09:39:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Colin,

the height of the grapple from the top of the eye down to the bottom of the 'u' is 19mm which is the exact same height as the anchor supplied. the with is 12mm again the same as the anchor.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
snowtiger
#8 Posted : 18 July 2010 14:17:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Spot on jase....BigGrin ....great workBigGrin BigGrin