Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

32 Pages 123>»
tf64 Spitfire Build Options
tf64
#1 Posted : 24 November 2013 12:20:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

[/UR
Having recently subscribed to the Spitfire build I thought it was time to start my next aircraft build, with close examination of the parts this to me is a very strong build and well thought out.
I visited Biggin Hill in search of inspiration and found at the main gates a Supermarine Spitfire and a Hawker Hurricane as you can see from my pictures above all though Biggin Hill is now a private airfield there is still a small area in the memory to WW11.

So this will be my build diary of De-Agostini Spitfire.
Regards to all,
tf64. (Trev)

First to cleaning and trimming all parts and checking for square.

Checking for alignment this is very important at this stage as this can affect the square of the air frame.

[URL=http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/tf64/media/Model%20Aircraft/Spitfire%20Build%20241013/2013-11-23165814.jpg.html]

Thank you for your time and for looking in.

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 24 November 2013 12:59:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Trev
Nice to see another diary started will look forward to your build
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#3 Posted : 24 November 2013 13:11:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Trev, good to see you starting this one up and love the pics of Biggin Hill.... Will be following your progress as you go,,,, Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#4 Posted : 24 November 2013 15:09:31

Hi Trev,

Nice to see you kick off the Spit. will be following as I always do BigGrin

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 24 November 2013 15:51:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev, BigGrin

Glad to see you`ve joined us.Cool

Thanks for the pics and good luck with your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tf64
#6 Posted : 24 November 2013 21:35:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to look at my new build,I find it is always good to here your comments,I hope I can keep your interest.
Regards Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tf64
#7 Posted : 24 November 2013 21:40:31

Hi Alan,
Always good to here your comments about my builds,this will be the 3rd Spitfire I have built in my time,as an airframe builder,just love this one.
Regards Trev.

tf64
#8 Posted : 24 November 2013 21:47:34

Hi Jase,
Well I have started now and I think this kit will be of interest to us all,to me I often see a Spitfire flying around I think there must be one being restored at Biggin Hill,thank you for your time Jase.
Regards Trev.

tf64
#9 Posted : 24 November 2013 21:53:47

Hello Delboy
We'll I am off to a good start,but I can see we need to dry fit a lot of the parts first before we fit and glue them,also check for square at this stage.I have had to file and sand a few parts to fit as I would like it,but a great build.
Thanks for looking in at my build.
Regards Trev.

stevie_o
#10 Posted : 25 November 2013 00:28:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tf64
#11 Posted : 25 November 2013 08:14:48

Hi Stevie_o,
Thanks for your good wishes,look's fun this one.
Regards Trev.

tf64
#12 Posted : 25 November 2013 08:36:13

Hi All,
Today I fitted the first and second formers to the main fuselage section, although I had to line up the slots all went together well and made no difference to the frame construction, here are a few pictures of how I progress today.
Regards Trev.

First former all at 90.

End Former with support.

More support bars fitted.

Thank you for your time.
Trev.

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 25 November 2013 19:49:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev,BigGrin

Looking good mate,Cool

Could you do me a favour?

I have only put together the two main fuselage sections and the five formers and have what I think is a minor issue.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

The first two formers, according to the instructions should be set at 90 degrees to the fuselage sides, but my measurements make them very slightly different widths, so will pull the central frame out of line.

My thought is that the formers can only be set at 90 degrees to the fuselage sides if they are of the same width.

That said, I think that when you fit the rear fuselage sides and clamp the two ends together it does seem to pull things into line.

This is my first plane build so would appreciate your input.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

mark 2
#14 Posted : 25 November 2013 20:43:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Trev.
Hope you are well.
Looks like you have made a great start BigGrin .
Looking forward to more.
I hope you are going to fly the spitfire over croydon airfield LOL LOL LOL when finished.
Best regards.
Mark
tf64
#15 Posted : 25 November 2013 21:43:39

Hi Mark,
Thanks for looking in, hope all is well how's you build I reckon I could make it fly not that I will.
All the best Trev.

delboy271155
#16 Posted : 26 November 2013 20:27:53

Hi Trev,BigGrin

Many, many thanks for your input to my query.Cool

I have already tried a dry fit of the tail section and the centre stringer was bang on down the middle and fitted everywhere it should.

So I think that the minor issue will be sorted when it`s all set in place.

It`s good when you can bounce a "possible" issue off someone and take in the feedback.

Cheers Trev and happy building Laugh

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

jase
#17 Posted : 26 November 2013 20:55:03

Good work, building up well, and a nice little build diary ThumpUp

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tf64
#18 Posted : 26 November 2013 22:39:12

Hi Delboy,
Thanks for your reply,sounds to me we will have two great builds for this forum .
Regards Trev.

tf64
#19 Posted : 26 November 2013 22:44:44

Hi Jase,
Thanks for your reply
Trev.

Gandale
#20 Posted : 27 November 2013 00:14:29

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Trev, looks like you're flying on this one....LOL LOL .. Looking fab.... I remember building a large Airfix kit of the Spitfire when I was around 12 years old, very detailed for its day, loved it then and it was pride of place in my bedroom until I left to join the army.... never saw it again..... Loved it then and still love it now but decided not to go for this kit.... will be following your progress.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan