Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
EagleJay's Build Options
Eaglejay
#1 Posted : 18 July 2010 21:36:45

Groups: Registered

Hi All and Welcome to my build diary.

First off this is my first wooden build my previous experience is airfix...so for me this is going to be quite a challenge. So any hints, tips and criticisms along the way the way will be more than welcome! BigGrin

There will always be more pictures in my photobucket account.

http://s891.photobucket....gleJay01/HMS%20Victory/

The launch is the first part I have started building. So please see below of my progress during this weekend.

Nice and simple so far.

First Planks are on.

Planking is now complete.

and that takes me to the end of issue 7.
Eaglejay
#2 Posted : 18 July 2010 21:43:46

oh and if anyone has any tips on resizing my photos that would be great...LOL
jase
#3 Posted : 18 July 2010 22:23:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcome to the build diary forum. looks like you have made really good progress on the launch, nice jobBigGrin

to re size you photos...

place them in 'my pictures' on your computer then right click on the picture and select edit. the photo will open up in a basic photo editor then select re size of the task bar. you can do it either by % or pixels.

looking forward to seeing more of your work

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
amipal
#4 Posted : 19 July 2010 01:01:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi EagleJay, good to see another build diary, and a nice looking launch!

The launch seems to be a great place to practise some of the skills that we'll need for the actual Victory build, so take your time and hone those skills. And don't be afraid to ask for any advice - not many of us bite, and there are many ways to approach the same thing! BigGrin
Eaglejay
#5 Posted : 21 July 2010 01:12:07

Worked my way through issues 8 & 9 now. Ready to apply a coat of primer now. Im hoping this will smooth it out a bit as the planking is a bit uneven in places still. I have sanded but don't want to sand too much as I don't want to go through the planks.

Tiswas
#6 Posted : 21 July 2010 21:22:56

Looking good so far Eaglejay, keep it up.
TIS
Eaglejay
#7 Posted : 21 July 2010 23:49:07

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I have added a coat of primer tonite. To me it really seems to have highlighted my errors. Once its had a good dry ill give it a sand and hope it smooths over quite a bit
cliffweld
#8 Posted : 22 July 2010 00:18:47

Hi Eaglejay,looking good mate ,just take your time and measure twice cut once and think before you do(i'm starting to sound like my mother) and it'll all come together,enjoy the build,cliff.
CURRENT BUILDS
HMS HALIFAX
HMS BOUNTY
LYDIA EVA(STEAM DRIFTER)
MANTUA COASTAL CANON
COREL VICTORY CROSS SECTION
TAMIYA 1/35 MATILDA MK 2
HACHETTE TIGER TANK
DRAGON 1/35 TIGER TANK
amipal
#9 Posted : 22 July 2010 00:58:52

Eaglejay wrote:
I have sanded but don't want to sand too much as I don't want to go through the planks.

You should be able to sand it a bit more. The planks are then but if you take a bit at a time you should be able to stop before you go too far.
jase
#10 Posted : 22 July 2010 23:02:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

if you are worried about sanding to much you can also use some filler that will even out the planking and fill any gap and you can sand the whole thing smooth.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Eaglejay
#11 Posted : 26 July 2010 00:04:14

Thanks again for the tips guys.

This week I have been aiming for a smoother Hull. I have added 3 coats of primer and been sanding after each coat and have to admit that im quite pleased with the outcome. Its a long way off perfect but Im happy with it.

I have now fully painted the hull and im almost at the end of issue 10.

For anyone that is reading I do have 1 question about masking tape. I used this to get straight lines with the black band but found that once I took the tape off the paint has seeped underneath it. What sort of tape does everyone use or is there something stupid I have done wrong? The tape im using is a bit old now so it might just be that.

After first coat of primer, still not looking great

A bit further down the line but im feeling a bit happier with it now
amipal
#12 Posted : 26 July 2010 00:29:12

Eaglejay wrote:
For anyone that is reading I do have 1 question about masking tape. I used this to get straight lines with the black band but found that once I took the tape off the paint has seeped underneath it. What sort of tape does everyone use or is there something stupid I have done wrong? The tape im using is a bit old now so it might just be that.

I had a similar problem. The suggestion I got was to paint the base colour over the mask to seal it in place. Once dry, apply the colour that you want.
jonny7england
#13 Posted : 26 July 2010 10:20:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Paint seepage, same with me mate, I landed up trying to paint the line free hand using a magnifying glass to get the end finish...Blink
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mike Turpin
#14 Posted : 26 July 2010 10:55:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

What kind of masking tape did you try?

There are at least two or three earlier topics about constructing the launch and in one of them Tomick strongly recommended using Tamiya modelling masking tape. I got mine from (guess where!) Cornwall Boats and providing you smooth it carefully to the surface that you are protecting, it seemed to work very well. I also followed the recommended sequence of laying down the white and then the yellow before finishing with the black 'in between'.

Mike T

Tiswas
#15 Posted : 26 July 2010 20:24:51

Tamiya masking tape has been mentioned more than once and it can be purchased from Hobbycraft shops as well. Your model is coming along nicely.
TIS
comic123
#16 Posted : 26 July 2010 20:38:08

BigGrin nice job will try the tamiya tape to paint black on my launch
Jack Sparrow
#17 Posted : 26 July 2010 21:57:36

Groups:

Excellent work on the launch!!BigGrin And Tamiya tape is brill, I have been using it for years!!!Cool
Eaglejay
#18 Posted : 27 July 2010 19:44:25

I was using masking tape that was around a couple of years old from wilkinsons. So I should imagine that was the problem. I will get some Tamiya tape for the victory itself and see how that goes.

Thanks Guys! BigGrin

Hopin to make a bit more progress tonite
budgie
#19 Posted : 27 July 2010 19:55:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Blink Tamiya tape is quite expensive depending on width etc but there does not seem to be an alternative that is as good

Huh suppose u only get what u pay for

BigGrin but it is cheaper than having to start again or worse giving up

BigGrin keep up the good work going well
Boaz
#20 Posted : 28 July 2010 03:11:15

Yes it is a bit pricy, but tamiya tape does the bizz.

Bob