Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck Beams Options
mttmwilson
#1 Posted : 20 July 2010 20:13:44

Groups: Registered

Hi not sure if this is a daft question.....

Do we have to use the Deck beams in the build? I know that they are used to hold the dummy canons but I would like to have at least one deck full of canons especially around and opposite to the hull opening. With some lighting I think it will look awesome when viewed up close. Maybe some internal structures could be built as well.

The decks are held up by the deck support beams I believe looking at Tomicks build.

I purchased quite a few extra part 1's for the canons!

Mike

Built:McLaren MP4-23

Ongoing:HMS Victory, Victory Cross-Section, Harley Fatboy, Hatchette Lancaster, Flying Scotsman, Stagecoach
Tomick
#2 Posted : 20 July 2010 21:29:48

Groups:

The lower deck beams are an integral part of the hull strength, though full gun kits on the middle deck should be okay, having said that, the build will get quite messy if you intend to add full gun kits to the lower/middle decks, thats not to say it can't be done, but will need careful thought and planning.

The full gun kits on the lower/middle decks cannot be placed until the hull has been planked and gun ports cut/lined, so you'll need to hold off on the placement of the middle/upper gun decks for access to the lower/middle decks, and not forgetting that the lower gun deck had 32-pounders and the middle deck had 24-pounders, both of which had larger barrels/carriages than the 12-pounder kits, though you might be able to get away with the 12-pounder carriage as they won't be so visible through the ports and the barrels might look ok too.

mttmwilson
#3 Posted : 20 July 2010 21:41:29

Groups: Registered

Thanks Tomick,

Probably best to leave the structure as it is intended!

Cant have the Victory sinking before she sets sail!!!

Mike

Built:McLaren MP4-23

Ongoing:HMS Victory, Victory Cross-Section, Harley Fatboy, Hatchette Lancaster, Flying Scotsman, Stagecoach