Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Just finished the third delivery Options
ZING444
#1 Posted : 12 January 2014 20:41:29

Groups: Registered

I just finished the third delivery of parts for the locomotive. First let me say that the packaging is fantastic and i like the idea that they always provide the "baker's dozen" for the screws (that can jump without warning). Secondly, the instruction book is very well done. It is not too difficult to follow and all of the parts, so far, have fit into their respective places. Lastly, I cannot rave more about the photos and instruction given by Tomick. Thanks so much for doing what you have done to show just how things go - very very helpful to supplement the instruction book.
I do not intend to paint the loco. black - but leave it as is. I would like some advice about what to use on the brass to eliminate or delay tarnishing. if anyone has a product I would appreciate the name of it. Thats about all. I have no pictures. But things are looking just like everyone else's. Flapper best regards to all. Don
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 12 January 2014 21:04:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Don
Glad to hear your enjoying the build, you will need to get a clear laqueur metal finishing product to stop the tarnishing. Also be aware that some parts are only plated with brass so to much polishing will remove this coating but products available in the UK may not be available in the USA so maybe looking at Mr Gunze or Testors will bring you some joy.
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#3 Posted : 12 January 2014 22:35:53

Groups:

Many thanks for your kind words Don. I look forward to seeing your hard work Cool
experten
#4 Posted : 31 January 2014 16:00:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hi Don,

I don't know how I missed this, nor how we never discussed it in our many emails, but.... The best product I know of for sealing Brass is by Behlens. It is a "brass Lacquer" that goes on very thin, and will prevent tarnishing. It is now going under the name "Mohawk Brass Lacquer" and is available from Woodcraft.

HTH!
Tired, Old, and Cranky!