Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Which Paint ????? Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 22 January 2014 11:47:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I am at stage 35 and have decided to paint my Hummer Black either gloss or matt not sure which yet.

My problem/question is which paint do I use?

I anticipate a need for a primer/base coat/under coat then the top coat

Will I need to lightly sand the surface to provide a key for the paint?

Any recommends for the paint I should use.

Any help will be much appreciated

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Tomick
#2 Posted : 22 January 2014 13:19:14

Groups:

The plastic of Hummer bodywork is high impact polystyrene (HIPS), therefore any paint suited to this is okay to use.

Aerosol wise, the common aerosol plastic paint is the Tamiya TS range which includes a matching primer, (do not use the PS range as this is suited to polycarbonate plastic).

If using the Tamiya TS aerosol range, you should apply the paint coats wet-on-wet with minimal dry-off time.

Stage 52 says: "Spray your model’s bodywork with a clear modelling lacquer. This will protect the paintwork beneath, and will also help hold the smaller parts in place and up to 5 coats advised."
However, if you chose to use the Tamiya TS-13 clear aerosol, be aware that it can cause paint craze, and should be applied within 15 mins of the colour coat or after 30 days. Also not that some clesar finishes have a high solvent content, which may burn/destroy decals.

I tend to use a micromesh cloth to key the surface and to also smooth the primer layer. The Micromesh system of abrasive cloths which range from grades P1500 - P12000. http://www.sylmasta.com/...o_Mesh_Abrasives_1.html

Tamiya painting article: http://www.tamiyausa.com...y_id=8&type=article

This link gives a blow-by-blow account of how to paint styrene plastic bodyshells..

http://www.j2drc.rchomep...icles/paint%20guide.pdf

GilShapley
#3 Posted : 23 January 2014 15:51:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Many thanks Mr T

As always a quick answer to my query

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Tomick
#4 Posted : 23 January 2014 15:53:53

Groups:

Also avoid painting in humid/damp conditions.

Anytime Gil