#1 Posted : 15 March 2010 14:49:31

Groups: Registered

BigGrin
OK, so what exactly does "Kiss Me Hardy" me ????BigGrin
Tomick
#2 Posted : 15 March 2010 18:55:30

Groups:

You did ask LOL

Nelson's last words are subject to a lot of controversy, upon being wounded Nelson was heard to say "They have done me at last. Hardy my backbone is shot through, oh Victory Victory, how you distract my poor brain", and according to several witness, his final order was "Anchor, Hardy Anchor", although Nelson did say "Kiss me, Hardy", these could not have been his last words as the Captain was on deck when Nelson died, as for him wanting to be kissed, its anyones guess as to why LOL
Michael68
#3 Posted : 15 March 2010 19:10:56

Wasn't it supposed to be 'Kismet Hardy'.... I'm sure i read that somewhere?!
Tomick
#4 Posted : 15 March 2010 19:28:21

Groups:

Kismet certainly seems to make more sense, though even Goodwin who was a keeper/curator of the Victory seems to think it was Kiss, its doubtful we'll ever know for sure.
jj44
#5 Posted : 16 March 2010 12:25:04

So what does kismet mean?????????
admin
#6 Posted : 16 March 2010 16:39:33

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

It's supposed to mean 'fate' or 'destiny'.....which would certainly make more sense than Kiss Me..
BigGrin
Lonestar Spirit
#7 Posted : 22 March 2010 12:18:42

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I do agree with Michael68, but when I was on tour at Portsmouth, I did remember an officer make a comment, He suggested that Hardy and Nelson had a bet going, and whoever died first would have to be kissed in public by he who was left behind? Hardy believed that GOD protected Nelson, and that he would be unharmed until the job had been done, and Queen and Country were safe, so on Hardy's deathbed, a kiss from Nelson, would guarantee a place in heaven, however it was Nelson who was mortally wounded first, now I dont see much truth in this, but you just never know.
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)
PAULS101
#8 Posted : 27 March 2010 21:25:45

i dont fink anyone could no rele. as it was so long ago but if someone does please share your info.
Mike Turpin
#9 Posted : 27 March 2010 21:52:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

I have just downloaded a free book from the Project Gutenburg ebook site, which is 'The Death of Lord Nelson by William Beatty'. Beatty was of course the surgeon who attended Nelson on his death bed. It was written in 1807 so it was only two years after Trafalgar.

Beatty certainly quotes Nelson as saying 'Kiss Me Hardy' just before Hardy returned to the quarter deck to fight the ship. It should be remembered that in those days embracing each other was the normal thing to do in polite company, particularly when meeting somebody or,as in this case, when saying farewell and that presumably was what Nelson knew he was doing.

According to Beatty he continued to talk for about 15 minutes after Hardy left, asking that Emma Hamilton would be cared for, together with her daughter. He continually repeated the phrase 'Thank God I ahve done my duty' until he could speak no more, so they were his final words. He then succumbed to his wounds and died while Hardy was on deck commanding Victory and doing his duty.

I hope this helps clarify the situation from the viewpoint of a contemporary account.

Mike T
Peter C
#10 Posted : 07 April 2010 21:43:12

Mike

Thanks for the info. Makes far more sense than the "kiss me" stories. They sound like someone from the News of the World was on board. The fact is he was a brilliant commander who changed the course of the 19th Century by quelling the ambitions of France and Spain.

Peter C
snowtiger
#11 Posted : 09 April 2010 14:19:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Peter C wrote:
Mike

Thanks for the info. Makes far more sense than the "kiss me" stories. They sound like someone from the News of the World was on board. The fact is he was a brilliant commander who changed the course of the 19th Century by quelling the ambitions of France and Spain.

Peter C

news of the wotld or the sunday sport....Laugh